Old 10-31-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Classic motorhome brake weirdness

About 10, miles ago I had all the pads, calipers, and rotors replaced on my 1984 310 Limited.

About 1,000 miles ago (9,000 miles after the brake work) I began to have a brake squeal. Kinda maybe like a wear indicator. I took it to the shop and they reported that my brakes were 80% I had the brakes fluid flushed and replaced.

The noise continued (off and on) so I took it back to have it looked at again. This time they found that the outside pads were 80% but the inside pad were down to the wear indicators? They replaced the pads and then the brakes pulled very badly, so they replaced the calipers. Brakes now seem to be working correctly.

BUT, what causes the pads to wear so unevenly?

Why would the calipers fail in 10,000 miles?

Why would this set of brakes last only 10,000 miles when the brakes that were on the rig when I bought it lasted at least 40,000?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Stuck or binding caliper slides or rust on the outer slides will cause the inside pad to wear out like that. Replace the slides, and lube the new ones with suitable lube, and the pads should lead a normal, happy life. What happens is, the slide won't, and the inner pad does all the stopping, with the outer pad just along for the ride.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
My suburban brakes lasted 65k and only 30k with aftermarket parts. The factory parts are MUCH better
Old 10-31-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I assume that the caliper slides are part of the calipers and thus were replaced with the calipers? The owner of the shop doing the the work told me that they lubed them well today.

How frequently do the slides need to be checked?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99 View Post
How frequently do the slides need to be checked?
I've had brakes done twice; my mechanic replaced everything & checked the new rotors for trueness; two of them were off from the factory. If done right, nothing needs to be fooled with. Was it the fronts that went
bad?. That is a P-30 platform; you could have alignment, springs, bearing problems. I get 80K out of my tires, and have the brakes gone thru then. Have the front end aligned, check end-to end- suspension height, check the front coil springs; slides are the least of what you should be looking at.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
That is a P-30 platform; you could have alignment, springs, bearing problems. I get 80K out of my tires, and have the brakes gone thru then. Have the front end aligned, check end-to end- suspension height, check the front coil springs; slides are the least of what you should be looking at.
How could any of that except possibly the wheel bearings cause one pad to wear before the other one? And if it were the bearings, wouldn't the pads be worn at an angle? The top of the pad would be worn a lot more than the bottom, and the bottom of the outer pad would be worn more. Plus, the inside of the tires would be worn a lot more than the outer edge.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Fairly common on sloppy job.

Hi, guy99. What Terry told you and more. What you described is usually caused by two things. First, is the calipers aren't slideing properly, and replacing them isn't the cure. In the old days we used white lithium grease on all moving parts. Now I recommend useing either silver or copper Anti-Seize, or silicone brake lube. Back to your problem; Many mechanics don't lube anything while doing a brake job. And in most cases, it won't show up for quite a while. [thousands of miles] One properly done job, the lube will last until the pads are worn out. The next most common problem, is after market parts. Sometimes the pads fit too tight and can't slide. A good mechanic would grind or file the pads plates to fit properly. Depending on your type of brakes, and there are many, you need to lube the slider pins, the caliper anti-rattle clips, caliper mounting bracket, and the channel in-which the pad or pads move in. Note: re-lubing the calipers in-between brake jobs is recommended for off road vehicles [4X4] a lot of in water driveing, not rain. [Fording rivers, boat launching, Etc.]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote