Old 04-07-2003, 04:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Classic 345 Gas Engine

Classic 345 1988 Model Year Gas Powered.
Is the engine carburated or fuel injected?
Does it have a computer that controls the engine?
We have fuel emission testing in Harris County Texas and I am concerned how it will test out.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
If it's GM and a 454 it will probably be fuel injection. GM started using the FI in 87.
Question I have for you is does it even need emmisions? I'm looking at a 88 Suburban with a 454 and it's GVR is over 8600lb and exempt as a result.

59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
WOW! Looks almost as bad as California!

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/

There are some exemptions but I didn't see any that targets Motor homes.

Ok here is some tips for passing them first go around.

If the vehicle if FI and has close to 60K on it replace the O2 sensor. They are supose to be replaced every 60k. If you don't know how old it is then replace it.

Get the tanks run down and get fresh gas. Old stale gas can and will cause a fail.
New air filter if it has any more the 2k on it.
New PCV valve.
If it's running rough then it may need a tune up. Plugs for sure, inspect cap, rotor and meter the plug wires to be sure they are good.

Look for any problems with vacuum lines. A high idle may cause a fail. I could find where the spcified what's to high. A fully warm GM V8 should idle out of gear around 700-750rpm and in gear about 600-650.

Now when you get ready to go for the inspection do the following.

Run that sucker down the hwy for 10-15 minutes before going in for a test and DO NOT shut it down when you get there. Let it idle to keep the engine temp up. Two reasons for this. On a vehicle with a cat it's to keep the cat hot. Cats are not effective when cold. If the vehicle was to sit for a while not running it may drop engine temp enough to go back into "Open Loop". Open Loop is for the most part a Fuel injected "Choke". A engine running open loop will be running on a pre programed fuel map and it may not need it. Closed loop means the FI is using the O2 Sensor as to figure out optimum fuel mixture. Many people make the mistake of drive 1/2 mile to the test facility then shut it down. Vehicle never get's hot enough to go closed loop and will fail every time.

According to that site they also do a safety inspection for lights, brake lights, emergency flashers, Condition of exhaust system, etc. Read through that site and see what else applies for the inspection.

Now a big problem with this sort of inspection is your at the mearcy of the interpitation of the laws. My guess is your over 80 inches in width and there is clauses to what is inspected at that width. Get educated on what applies to this vehicle.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

That is great info. Thanks. I did check with the test stations in Harris County and they do not seem to care how big the rig is. If it has a gas engine it must pass the idle test. No dyno test since it is too big. I have an alternative solution that is acceptable. I can use the storage address for the unit outside of Harris County and avoid the test altogether according to both the county and the police.
Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Emissions Tests

Test units, like the buzzz doorways at airports, are difficult to keep calibrated.

If you don't pass at one, find another, and it may pass, or wait a week or so and try again, especially if the fail level is marginal.

Of course, all that the toaster mentioned is good advice.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote