Old 06-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Carrier bearing help

This is my first post. In the process of moving our newly bought '83 310 from Denver to San Diego, we needed a tow in Las Vegas. The tow truck driver disconnected the center driveshaft at the U joint, pulled it out of the carrier bearing, and borrowed an extension cord from me to tie it up under the MH while he towed it across town (I was worried at this point). He shoved the driveshaft back in place and reconnected the U joint before taking off. I noticed some lubricant dripped on the ground and asked the mobile mechanic who finally diagnosed our problem (bad ignition coil) to check it. He found that the driver had knocked the carrier bearing and rubber support out of their bracket and left the shaft resting on the support bracket. The clip that holds the round metal plates on either side of the rubber support had broken, and one of the plates fell off during the tow. We were in a hurry to get to San Diego, so I helped the mechanic get the bearing back in place and drove all day with the remaining plate rattling around on the driveshaft. It looks like I can get a new bearing, rubber support, and bracket from Autozone for about $20. How do I get new round metal plates and the clip to hold it all together? Chevy dealer?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Who ever made the chassis will be the best bet. Those parts should be standard to the chassis manufacture.

If you drove a couple hundred miles with the carrier bearing not fully supported I would look at the rear seal on the trans as it may have taken some strain from the flailing shaft.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The chassis is a Chevy P32. If you an find a GM truck dealer you might get lucky and find the parts there. The P30 chassis truck line was purchased by Workhorse who now is the supporting dealer. As near as I can tell they do sell parts through GM so with luck you'll be able to find them.

If a dealer can't help you out then your best bet is going to be a salvage yard.

Good luck and keep us posted as to where you find the parts.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Another alternative would be to go to a place that sells aftermarket truck parts, or a driveshaft company (any major city has one), and get a universal fit carrier assembly that can be adapted to the situation.

If you think there might be more parts that aren't right this might be a good time to have the driveshaft place pull the whole thing, replace all the U joints, bearings, and seals, and balance it. Not cheap but much cheaper than doing it one piece at a time.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
You can also try Mill Supply. They sell all the stuff for delivery trucks. The P-30 chassis is under many bread trucks as well as our Airstreams.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Speedway , Indiana
Here is a link to the Mill Supply page for the carrier bearing.
Rob
Stepvan Catalog
Old 07-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Thanks...

Thanks guys, Mill Supply is now bookmarked. I had hoped to do the repair in the inlaws driveway on our next trip to the mainland from Hawaii, but it looks like the Airstream has to go into storage as it has worn out its welcome there. The guy who has agreed to store it says he can also do the work. Next trip should be in September, you may be hearing from me depending on how it goes. For now, it's tuned up with most of the distributor components replaced.