Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Carb problem

I need to do something with the Q-jet on my 1982 Excella MH. As I see it, I have one of 4 ways to go.
1. Rebuild the Q-jet I have. This would be the least expensive, but I
am not sure I can pull it off. It sits now in a box in my basement, half
apart, and I can't find its number. All of the rebuilders around here
are gone in this the day of fuel injection. But then I really haven't
looked hard.
2. Buy a new Q-jet. (I wouold not like to go thru a number of
improperly re-built ones). About $350.
3. Buy an Edelbrock. This was my preference as it is less complicated
and supposidly a bit more economical. Then I learned from Summit
that I would need a new intake manifold because the Edelbrock has "a
different baseplate". I had not read of this in the previous posts.
About $450.
4. Put a Holley on it. I have not looked into this one.

My preference was to put an Edlebrock on because it was supposed to be a bit more economical. The equation changed when I learned of the manifold problem.

The money is not really the issue, I just want to what is best for the old girl. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
Geophilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Money no object....go for the manifold and carb set-up, make sure they know what your trying to accomplish, AS MH make lousy Hot Rods..
Old 06-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Thanks. I did just that and they indicated the EDL 1406 carb.

I do like the idea of a hot rod AS. Maybe not as good as that hot rod Lincon, but plenty hot never the less. Now where can I get a three quad manifold and a duley set of slicks?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Pro-Jection

One other idea....look into a stand alone EFI system. Holley used to make one called the Pro-Jection and they have a newer version of it that is a throttle body injector that bolts onto a standard 4-barrel carb flange. That could be slick.

Edelbrock sells a total stand alone multi point electronic fuel injection system. It costs about $3300, but it is totally wicked and will fix all your fuel ills.

The Edelbrock carb series is basically a Carter AFB made anew under license by Edelbrock. The AFB was always a good carb. I used to run one on a 440 Chrysler. It had mechanical secondaries (which I prefer) but you had to be careful not to bog the engine by dumping too much fuel to it too quickly. I believe mine was an 850 CFM.

Hey, you need a high rise intake with dual quads
Old 06-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geophilist
I need to do something with the Q-jet on my 1982 Excella MH. As I see it, I have one of 4 ways to go.
1. Rebuild the Q-jet I have. This would be the least expensive, but I
am not sure I can pull it off. It sits now in a box in my basement, half
apart, and I can't find its number. All of the rebuilders around here
are gone in this the day of fuel injection. But then I really haven't
looked hard.
2. Buy a new Q-jet. (I wouold not like to go thru a number of
improperly re-built ones). About $350.
3. Buy an Edelbrock. This was my preference as it is less complicated
and supposidly a bit more economical. Then I learned from Summit
that I would need a new intake manifold because the Edelbrock has "a
different baseplate". I had not read of this in the previous posts.
About $450.
4. Put a Holley on it. I have not looked into this one.

My preference was to put an Edlebrock on because it was supposed to be a bit more economical. The equation changed when I learned of the manifold problem.

The money is not really the issue, I just want to what is best for the old girl. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
I recently brought a rebuilt from rockauto.com. I'm very happy with it. It really made a difference from the junker Q-Jet that was on there. It wad $300 plus a core charge. When I was a young one, I rebuilt the Q-Jet on my Chevelle, but I wouldn't do it again. Q-Jets are complicated and if the pot metal is bad they leak from every hole and plug. Nice thing about replacing with same is that everything fits and you don't have to spend a month of Sundays fabricating nothing or finding special parts. It also smog legal. My dad had removed a lot of smog equip since he lived in Oregon. I strongly suggest you leave stock with all smog if any connected. it has taken me 3 years to get mine smog legal for Calif. Of course I was a bit lazy. I don't look forward to the DMV fines for past registration now however. In all seriousness leave the smog equip on and working. If you ever want to sell it this may make the difference for you.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy

I recently brought a rebuilt from rockauto.com. I'm very happy with it. It really made a difference from the junker Q-Jet that was on there. It wad $300 plus a core charge. When I was a young one, I rebuilt the Q-Jet on my Chevelle, but I wouldn't do it again. Q-Jets are complicated and if the pot metal is bad they leak from every hole and plug. Nice thing about replacing with same is that everything fits and you don't have to spend a month of Sundays fabricating nothing or finding special parts. It also smog legal. My dad had removed a lot of smog equip since he lived in Oregon. I strongly suggest you leave stock with all smog if any connected. it has taken me 3 years to get mine smog legal for Calif. Of course I was a bit lazy. I don't look forward to the DMV fines for past registration now however. In all seriousness leave the smog equip on and working. If you ever want to sell it this may make the difference for you.
To clarify...I bought a rebuilt Q-Jet from rockauto.com.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
The numbers on a Q-jet are stamped on the side of the main body casting, up and down, no tag. They are a good carb if not wore out. If you understand how they work you can really adjust them to your application. It must have been 20yrs since I have rebuilt one.
I love the sound of them.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
When I said that money was not the issue, I was not thinking of thousands, but rather hundreds. That kinda shoots down the EFI. I like the idea, just not the time and money in doing it. I have experience with things that just "bolt on".

The smog legal idea is one to keep in mind. If I take anything off, I will keep all the parts. Being an East coast MH, I suspect that her next owner will also be on the right coast as well, though not necessarialy. But point well taken. Glad to hear that your re-built carb was a good one, Dads Toy.

I think I know how the carb works. Gas goes in this little hole and comes out the big ones and then dissapears into the engine thingy. I think Mickey Mouse is in there dressed up in some sorcerer's garb and is waving a magic wand. Sometimes it has indigestion and burps up stuff in my face that is looking down the holes for the apprentice.. Who needs eye brows anyway?

Which ever way I go, I think I will change to an electric choke. One post suggested that it be wired to the oil pressure switch and that makes sence. Does anyone know how much current an electric choak pulls? I don't want ot overload a circuit or use too small a wire.

If I change the manifold, are there any tricks in doing it? Should the threads be loc tited or anti-seized? I have some experience with removing the exhaust heads and they were no fun, though I only had to dirll out one bolt.

Now if I can only find a high rise intake that would go thru the dog house and out the roof. Look out Force.

Steve
Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
keep the rochester, they are magnificant carbs, I rebuilt mine, it's not hard to do, kits are cheap, and it has lasted several years and starts up always!
IPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
Thanks, guys, I have decided to re-build after all. I watched a good video on You Tube of a guy rebuilding a Q-Jet and it gave me the confidence to just go ahead and do it myself. While his was a marine carb, most of the parts are the same. I just Googled "How to rebuild a QuadraJet carb" and it came up. Check it out if you find yourself in the same boat. No pun intended.

Steve

Thanks again

Steve
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Tyler , Texas
Edlebrock adaptor plate

HI! I changed out my quad for an edlebrock last month. There is no need to change the intake..an adaptor is available and I bought mine thru e-bay along with a new edlebrock carb for less than 250.00
Pete
pjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
Last summer I took my '84 Holiday Rambler to the local Chevy Truck Center because it was backfiring through the carb. After correcting a number of problems, they said the carb was shot and needed a new one. After trying to find a replacement Q-Jet locally, they finally installed an Edelbrock 1406 with the adapter plate. The motor ran okay, but whenever it came to an incline, the motor just didn't have the ump to keep going with any speed over the top. It also sounded like a high pitch whine from the carb. I sent the old Q-Jet off to Guaranteed Carburetors in Largo, FL for a rebuild. It came back looking better than new for about $200. My local mechanic, who is quite familar with Q-Jets gave it his approval and installed it in place of the Edelbrock. The motor has a lot more guts now and doesn't bog down going up, even though it still isn't any speed demon on small hills. Also, the sound is more comfortable. The 1406 is a 650 CFM and recommended for small block engines while the Q-Jet is 750 CFM. That extra 100 CFM makes a big difference in my situation. It might be different in yours.
Dan
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1982 28' Airstream 280
Norfolk , Virginia
I have finished the re-build on the Q-Jet and it runs fine. I have heard so many different stories about the Q-Jet that it reminds me of the "My operating System is better than yours" wars. I am sure that folks can get both wonderful experiences as well as nightmares when any major system is altered or changed. I know I have. Hey, if all the thing needs every 30 years or so is a good cleaning out and some new gaskets, then it can't be but so bad. Sure, time marches on, but I really don't want to spend the thousands that a good FI system would cost. I would never get my money out of that one. As it is I have less than $100 in it and that includes the carb cleaning solution and new vacuum hoses. I would spend more, but in this case I didn't have to.

So, thanks for all who have pitched in their help and advice.

Steve
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
Glad to hear you got yours all squared away! Luckily I've got access (if needed) to a local shop that specializes (still) in rebuilding carbs for the past 64 years (so their site claims).. I've had them work on a few carbs over the years but not recently.. If need be (for other readers), I suspect they'd probably rebuild one if mailed to them if no local place is able.
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote