Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
1994 31' Legacy 30
Hillsboro , Texas
Cable noise

I have a strange noise that sounds to me a lot like a speedo cable. Haven't heard of a case of cable noise in many years but this is a 28 year old vehicle. Has anyone else seem (heard) of this? Is there a good aftermarket lub or do I need to replace the cable? It's very annoying!

Another cable problem... the heater control cable keeps coming off the heater control lever. Is there a good up grade to a newer controller or something available? I think my vacuum operated blend doors are not functioning and it was very chilly driving it home last night. Can these blend doors be converted to cables or something?
tony6373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had an '83, 310 and after a front tire blew out, I found that a piece of rubber had hit and damaged the spedo cable which went through the left front wheel well. The spedo then jumped around and made a lot of noise. So, given the age of your unit, I would not be surprised if water had finally gotten into the cable and is causing it to bind. It is a bitch to get at to pull the cable out of the sheath and lube it, but that or replacement may be in order.

I would fix the vacuum blend door controls or the vacuum system rather than trying to convert them. The heater control cable most likely needs lube which is why it comes off the control lever. As you said, it is a 28 year old vehicle and everything needs maintenance.

Old motorhomes are a royal PITA to maintain, and costly. I eventually simply got tired of mine as there was always something wrong which needed repair and it cut down on my camping time. I loved it, but didn't use it for a number of reasons, including the never ending repairs.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote