Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Exclamation CA. smog - am I in big trouble ?

Today I took my 84 310 to the smog place to get it tested so that I could complete the registration process.

I failed the visual inspection. It seems that a bunch of the stuff that is supposed to be there, isn't. The fellow at the smog place (nice guy, btw, didn't even charge me) says that many of the problems are no big deal. BUT he says that the MH does not have an EGR valve. His truck reference doesn't show one is required, but his motorhome reference says it is. He suggests that I go to the referee to determine if it is or is not required. He indicated that it will be no small matter to correct if an EGR system is required.

Does anyone know if the EGR system was standard on the 84's?

The MH has a Banks system on it, is it likely that the EGR system was left off when this was installed?

Is the Banks system incompatible with an EGR systems i.e.. am I going to have to remove the Banks?

Any suggestions?

OBTW, when I connected to the Banks web site, my Norton AntiVirus began screaming about files infected with JS.Scob.Trojan!inf

So, beware.
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
OBTW, when I connected to the Banks web site, my Norton AntiVirus began screaming about files infected with JS.Scob.Trojan!infSo, beware.
There is a problem right now (6-26-04) in which a lot of websites seem to have a problem with trojans trying to download viruses onto users' computers when they visit the sites. It is being worked on, but still a problem as of now.
Terry
Old 06-26-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Yeah, I'm aware of it,

Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
There is a problem right now (6-26-04) in which a lot of websites seem to have a problem with trojans trying to download viruses onto users' computers when they visit the sites. It is being worked on, but still a problem as of now.
Terry
Yeah, I'm aware of it, that's why I wanted to warn folks that the Banks site could have a problem.
Old 06-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Exclamation Also

Quote:
Yeah, I'm aware of it, that's why I wanted to warn folks that the Banks site could have a problem.
All
Also saw this in this mornings newpaper.
Look for files extensions: Kk32.dll and/or Surf.dat If you have either one on ur puter..It's a sign that you've been infected with this virus going around on the web. Not a great time to be "surfing" for most folks.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The EGR valve is in the intake manifold, it should have nothing to do with Banks. Did the mechanic say if there was a mount for the EGR on the manifold? If there isn't have him check the manifold part #. If it is a valid 84 part I would think one was never installed.

John

Sure am glad I've got a Mac
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Yeah I have a mac desktop and Norton's corporate on my laptop. So far so good. I had only one infection this year from Klez worm. The mac has never had an issue.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Red face Since I use netscape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Yeah I have a mac desktop and Norton's corporate on my laptop. So far so good. I had only one infection this year from Klez worm. The mac has never had an issue.
I wouldn't have been effected if NAV didn't catch it. I always keep my antivirus signatures up to date.

I'm not actually sure that it WAS the Banks site. The infections were found in some cache files and started being detected just after I connected to the Banks site.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
I agree~

Guy99,
I believe you abt Banks...lol,
I'm not surfing much these days`
AV program here is:
Panda Titanium 2004, version 3.01.02
I run way too many programs to check, and cross check for infections, spywares, trojans, etc..~lol (Seems to work)
I've been very lucky in no virus infection in over two years.
The last one I got, came from a close friend of mine thru Corp e-mail..
Grrr, I trusted that source..till that happened..
Wiped out every single jpeg files I had..plus
No one likes those~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I'm not actually sure that it WAS the Banks site.
Yes, it was from the Banks site, I got the same notification . and was not allowed access to the site, becaus my antivirus software caught it.
Terry
Old 06-27-2004, 12:33 PM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Back to Smog

If the technician already ran the vehicle and failed it, then you must " go with the flow", and you are at their mercy. They will go by the book.
If he did not actually anter it in the system, but only did a visual, then you might simply try a diferent smog check station.
Is there an underhood emissions sticker? It would clarify everything you need to be legal.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
He didn't hook it up and voided the work order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
If the technician already ran the vehicle and failed it, then you must " go with the flow", and you are at their mercy. They will go by the book.
If he did not actually anter it in the system, but only did a visual, then you might simply try a diferent smog check station.
Is there an underhood emissions sticker? It would clarify everything you need to be legal.
He was actually very helpful, suggested that I go to the referee to get a determination. Where should I look for the emission sticker?
Old 06-27-2004, 04:53 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
He was actually very helpful, suggested that I go to the referee to get a determination. Where should I look for the emission sticker?
Emissions and safety sticker is either on the underside of the hood, or on a sticker on the dash by the far left edge of the dashboard.
It will have a series of letter, which are emissions application codes.
It will say something like "EGR,AIR,CAT, etc. If this sticker does NOT say EGR, it never had it, if it does, well, you have some modifications to do.
Terry
Old 06-27-2004, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Question Thanks Terry, couldn't find it.

Quote:
Emissions and safety sticker is either on the underside of the hood, or on a sticker on the dash by the far left edge of the dashboard.
It will have a series of letter, which are emissions application codes.
It will say something like "EGR,AIR,CAT, etc. If this sticker does NOT say EGR, it never had it, if it does, well, you have some modifications to do.
Terry
I looked on the underside of the "hood", all along the dash, and on the underside of the dog house - no sticker. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:21 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I looked on the underside of the "hood", all along the dash, and on the underside of the dog house - no sticker. Any other suggestions?
Some mid-'80s GM trucks had the emission sticker mounted on the air cleaner housing. Hopefully if that's where it is, you still have it.
This sticker also contains the engine size, model year, timing and spark plug gap info.
Terry
Old 06-27-2004, 09:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Unhappy Oops!

Quote:
Some mid-'80s GM trucks had the emission sticker mounted on the air cleaner housing. Hopefully if that's where it is, you still have it.
This sticker also contains the engine size, model year, timing and spark plug gap info.
Terry
This MH has the Banks PowerPack, which includes a new cast air-filter cover. I'll write to fellow I bought it from, maybe he still has it.