Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Bought a new to me MH Land Yacht 30 2000

Proud new owner, the fun has already begun, even tho it was a low mileage, clean unit, of course we had to fix and improve to make it ours.

My question to the group of mechanics here that own a MH with 454 chevy 7.4 is the K & N Filter original or an after market addition?

My intake box was mounted 90 degrees wrong, bottom of box was on its side, probably why previous owner changed fuel filter every 6 months or less, sometimes as short as 300 miles. If he drove it in the rain it would have sucked in water. FF are cheap unless you use dealer or truck mechanics, he was paying 75 to 100 for each time he replaced. According to Chevy FF change normally is at 30000 miles. He pointed out the spare one in the parts and said it was time to change it again.

Step didn't work, on checking forums found it was common for kwikee motors to need replacement. Opened motor found white metal housing had corroded so much that it jammed the gears. Best price for replacement was a Taurus rear drivers side window lift. Too bad it was a chinese motor and output gear, had to reuse old gear as the 9 tooth male gear wouldn't mesh with old female in the gear box.

Back up monitor needed a couple of taps on the screen to show picture, on inspection found input wire was loose, the last mechanic that had the dash out removed the wire strain relief from the wire and didn't replace it, probably would have taken an extra 5 minutes, now I have to cobble a new one.

Easiest repair so far was the front sway bar bushings, Autozone actually had them in stock.

Easiest replacement was the Microwave, 10 years after manufacture and the same model is still available at Walmart. No cutting or fitting just unscrew and drop in new one. No it wasn't over used just lack of use, the digital monitor no longer showed what was being entered and first mate doesn't like to out guess cooking modes;-)

One other question, does anybody else here have the floor tile option from AS original upgrade?

Dave Florida, almost ready to travel.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
2005 ly 30 so

Can't help you with your question re: floor tile, and haven't had to change my air filter yet. But, I'm glad to hear you're having fun with your MH. We're having a blast with ours. Had a little problem with water leak but seem to have that under control. Happy camping. Bob

Old 05-20-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Dave: To the best of my knowledge your K&N filter is aftermarket. oemysperformance.com has photos showing what looks like a good installation for the K&N. Lots of other good tips and DIY info also. I have congolium in the living area so can't help you there. Enjoy
Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Sorry, we couldn't find oemysperformance.com
Harold,
This was the message from my computer on trying to connect to this site.
I now have the manual for the 1999 Chevy chassis and it shows a regular filter so the part installed wrong was aftermarket, a lot of the original parts stayed in place and they only added the elbow and water catchment box in front of the filter.
The tile was installed nice by professional tile layer but the way the woodwork was reinstalled I know now that it wasn't done at the factory, AS took pride in the way they installed woodwork and you can tell by their finished product.
5 months now with a couple of small trips and we still like the overall accomodations, looking forward to a long trip this summer.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Dave: My goof up try yahoo search, oemys-performance.com. or just oemys. should get you there.

Tags
k & n, sharp microwave, sway bar bushings, fuel filter