Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Better MPG- Real or Scam?

Had the MO/HO at a local park the other day and was approached by a guy interested in my MPG. WE talked for awhile as he was trying to sell me this set-up that he installed on his car. I turned him down however when I got home I visited this web site that he had mentioned: Hydrogen Boost Brown’s Gas Joe Cell HHO Water Car Save fuel mpg</ and must admit its intriguing. This led me to another search here: http://water4gas.com Of course I'm skeptical but also hope its true. I'm in no way connected to these products just want to ask if any forum members have actually tried either of these set-ups on their MO/HO or tow vehicles. We are already getting ripped off at the pumps.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Call me a skeptic, but this sounds waaay too good to be true.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:43 PM   #3
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Read the guarantee,
"If you are not satisfied with the performance of the Hydrogen-Boost System purchased from our web site, you may return it undamaged within 30 days for a full refund. Unfortunately some components like engine treatment and wiring kit will be damaged upon installation and therefore non-returnable unless they are unused, uninstalled..."

So... you can return it if it doesn't work, but only if you didn't install it. Obviously if you didn't install it, you don't know that it didn't work so you can't return it.

Beyond that, I'd vote big time scam. Pyramid to boot, I think.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
What's that saying, if it sounds to good to be true......

I have heard somewhere a report on the hydrogen "generators" and it seemed to me the findings were they cannot make enough gas to measurably effect an engines performance. I found it interesting that they were leaning out the fuel/air mixture. There are sensors on the engine that monitor that and will pump more fuel in the cylinders based on engine load. Some of the fuel cools the engine especially under load so running to lean could burn valves and cause other harm to the engine.

I'll stick with it sounds to good to be true but I hope to be proved wrong.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
You might find this interesting:

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
....the Hydrogen-Boost System purchased from our web site, you may return it undamaged within 30 days for a full refund.
This kinda leaves out the fly-by-night vendor in a campground.

Brown's gas? Electrolysis requires electric power from your engine. Okay, burn gasoline (not 100% efficient), turn the crank shaft (more frictional loss), turn the alternator (not 100% efficient), use some of that current to split hydrogen from oxygen (not 100%...

You see where I'm going. They're selling a perpetual motion machine. Their literature says everything but "you'll need to stop every 100 miles to take created fuel out of your gas tank."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I applaud this guy. He's not making spurious claims like the 'water as fuel" guy, he's just calling it Brown's Gas which has been around for decades.

If you follow his driving tips you it will probably get you 95% of the increased milage, even without installing the electrolyzer.

The downside is, you only get the driving tips if you buy the electorlyzer.

The upside is I'm pretty sure the same driving tips are available from your local AAA or your favorite mechanic.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
sounds like another product from the manufacturers of snake oil, here's another one. PICC
any genuine product that could revolutionize the auto industry is quickly bought out by you know who.
on a side note, ever heard of wally minto Minto's Water Wheel Solar Generator another great invention in need of R & D $'s
elbundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
But hey -- at least the fuel is "all American." Good for foreign exchange!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:41 AM   #10
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
There are, as I understand it, several problems with the conventional internal combustion engine as far as fuel efficiency; the first two being the huge amounts of energy that are wasted as heat by-product and the other being the incomplete use of the fuel. If the waste heat could be better captured to generate the electricity to drive the electrolysis process in a fuel-cell, that would increase the efficiency of the fuel consumption. Secondly, any gains that can be made in the efficiency of the use of the raw fuel would obviously increase gas mileage.

Obviously, the most efficient way to deliver the fuel that can be completely burned is to deliver it atomized at flash point temperature to the cylinders. UNfortunately that means that an explosive mixture of fuel must be stored somewhere on board. However, since there's a way to make waste nuclear material transport bomb-proof, I'm relatively sure that someone could develop a pre-delivery system to make gasoline deliver to the cylinders at flash-point, and store it relatively safely immediately before delivery.

We live in interesting times, and it's comforting to know that there are folks out there who are at least experimenting with stuff. It's waaay beyond my ability, so I'm anxiously awaiting the next breakthrough.

In the mean time, I'm riding my bicycle to work!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
... I'm relatively sure that someone could develop a pre-delivery system to make gasoline deliver to the cylinders at flash-point, and store it relatively safely immediately before delivery...

Roger
I was involved on a program of that nature a couple of decades ago. I can comment that when someting goes wrong with a superheated fuel delivery system, it goes REALLy wrong
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:18 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill
Had the MO/HO at a local park the other day and was approached by a guy interested in my MPG. WE talked for awhile as he was trying to sell me this set-up that he installed on his car. I turned him down however when I got home I visited this web site that he had mentioned: Hydrogen Boost Brown’s Gas Joe Cell HHO Water Car Save fuel mpg</ and must admit its intriguing. This led me to another search here: http://water4gas.com Of course I'm skeptical but also hope its true. I'm in no way connected to these products just want to ask if any forum members have actually tried either of these set-ups on their MO/HO or tow vehicles. We are already getting ripped off at the pumps.
Ahhhhh scam? Yeah you can put hydrogen into engine but it is not made to run on raw hydrogen. Hydrocarbons yes. 12 Volts is not enough to seperate the Hydorgen from the Oxygen in water. I am still looking into how much it takes. I cannot remember from high school exactly but I know it involved a transformer.

I have been looking into to an engine programmer. Dial down the power when not towing then back to stock when towing.
Right now all I can find is stuff to boost the power not lower it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I have been looking into to an engine programmer. Dial down the power when not towing then back to stock when towing....
That would be the rightmost of the pedals you have available.

For giggles, I took our car which normally is good for 30-33 mpg highway, and drove it to the next state like I would ride a bicycle on a looong ride.
Slow accelerations, not using the brake, allow speed to bleed off when going uphill, and allowing it to coast downhill. Very very gentle applications of power, in other words. Windows closed, A/C off.

The roads were pretty empty, allowing me to do this.

The net: 42.5 mpg.

Obviously, if there'd been much traffic, or if my family had been in the car things would have been different, but still, a 33% increase.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:

For giggles, I took our car which normally is good for 30-33 mpg highway, and drove it to the next state like I would ride a bicycle on a looong ride.
Slow accelerations, not using the brake, allow speed to bleed off when going uphill, and allowing it to coast downhill. Very very gentle applications of power, in other words. Windows closed, A/C off.
My son has an older Honda Civic and we've talked a lot about how I get better mileage from my Civic than he does with his. Honda's have a sweet spot in regards to shift point, either for auto or standard transmissions. The key is to allow the automatics to do their shifts at an rpm no higher than 3,000. When you do that you really improve your gas mileage. It's all a matter of how hard you push that gas pedal. That's why I get 33-35 mpg and he gets 29 or 30.

I watch these guys who pull away from traffic lights like there is no tomorrow only to catch up with them at the next traffic light. They suck it down on the acceleration only to lose it further by hitting the brakes. Yeah, I have to stop too but I used a lot less gas getting up to speed than they did.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
River Running

I used to run water in mine...
Got so tough to find places to fill up...with the drought and all.
Switched back to gas.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Since these guys have repealed the second law of thermodynamics, it must be time to introduce a new generator. It uses an electric motor instead of the gas engine, powered of course by the output of the generator! Yee Ha!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Right rudder?

Ok yeah I understand I can do all this but I want to buy an expensive box that will do it for me. That's the american way isn't it?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It still comes down to, if you want to pull your train at a certain speed, you still have to throw a certain number of logs on the fire.

So much mass requires so much energy to move at any speed.

I wish it weren’t true either.

Beam me up, Scotty.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
I took our car which normally is good for 30-33 mpg highway, and drove it to the next state like I would ride a bicycle on a looong ride.
Just ride the bike!

I remember seeing JC Whitney catalogs back in the early '70s that had all kinds of gizmos that claimed to give 2-3 mpg better performance. You'd get 200mpg if you installed them all! In particular I remember the "water injector" whose ad said "Ever notice how well you car runs on a rainy day?"

I think I'll go out and gap my points.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam

I remember seeing JC Whitney catalogs back in the early '70s that had all kinds of gizmos that claimed to give 2-3 mpg better performance. You'd get 200mpg if you installed them all! In particular I remember the "water injector" whose ad said "Ever notice how well you car runs on a rainy day?"
The only problem with installing all of them is you drive around the block and gas starts pouring out of your tank on the ground!
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote