Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
IMHO ARB (CKMTP12). Hard to beat, gets the job done quickly w/rock solid performance. I found best pricing from 4wd.com.

https://www.4wd.com/p/arb-twin-motor...R-BHWQ-CKMTP12

Safe travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Another vote for VIAIR 400. I have a kit. (carry bag, extra hose, extension cord, changeable tips)
I bought some of the cheaper brands, and every couple of years replaced them.
My VIAIR is more than 10 years old and still going strong.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Half-timer from , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Added an inline pressure regulator to regulate to 55#'s or so and have had no issues.
Can anyone recommend a compressor that has a built in pressure switch that will turn off the compressor when it reaches a preset pressure? Then after the pressure falls, it would start again to bring it back up to the preset pressure.

I’m looking for one that will pressurize my solar hot water tank and hold it at 40 psi while I’m showering. As I understand it, a regulator would keep the line pressure constant but the compressor would still run continuously until I shut it off manually.
dumbclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbclub View Post
Can anyone recommend a compressor that has a built in pressure switch that will turn off the compressor when it reaches a preset pressure? Then after the pressure falls, it would start again to bring it back up to the preset pressure.

I’m looking for one that will pressurize my solar hot water tank and hold it at 40 psi while I’m showering. As I understand it, a regulator would keep the line pressure constant but the compressor would still run continuously until I shut it off manually.
I am sure I will be corrected, I believe any compressor you buy now days will have an adjustable regulator,that will let you do what you want.
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
You do not want a compressor for this. You want an accumulator tank, which has an air bladder inside. As water flows into the accumulator tank, the air bladder is compressed. Then, as you run water out of it, the compressed air in the bladder maintains your water pressure.https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Accumu...KD0K1FRRK3PS29
Old 04-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Viair is great; just don’t let pistons get wet-it will corrode.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You do not want a compressor for this. You want an accumulator tank, which has an air bladder inside. As water flows into the accumulator tank, the air bladder is compressed. Then, as you run water out of it, the compressed air in the bladder maintains your water pressure.https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Accumu...KD0K1FRRK3PS29
Some old trailers were made with a metal water tank up front, on top of the floor. They used air pressure from a pump/air compressor, no accumulator. They were designed that way. The original, a piston air compressor, was made by Grover Pump which is no longer available new. Occasionally one will come up for sale on Ebay.

I think a small compressor with really good pressure regulator would do the job. I do not know enough specifics about pressure regulators to make a recommendation on which would be proper.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
I’m about to pull the trigger on the Viair 400p automatic model my only concern is the Viair website says the winterizing kit only works with the 400p or 450p automatic RV models. Has anyone used the Winterizing kit with the none RV version of the 400p?
runtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
I agree that Viair makes nice "compressors" (that's what Viair calls them).
There have been several comments about "if only they had," or "this feature isn't useful," but they make many variations.

A nice thing about Viair is their website - https://www.viaircorp.com/portables - which is worth a visit. You can choose the one that best suits your needs and preferences, such things as what the cfm at your desired pressure, type of hose fittings, and duty cycle are presented there. You can also visit permanent compressors they make if that's the direction you want.

We chose the 70P because: Instead of a long hose, it has a long cord, which is easier to store. Its cfm at the pressures we use, 50-60 psi, is strong and it has a reasonable duty cycle. But mostly because of its size - it fits inside the spare tire compartment on our TV. The surprise was that it performs nicely to air up after off-road excursions - so much that we can air up our entire 4WD club before we re-hit the road. We use battery clips on the RV battery to reach every tire on the TV and RV; short hose is a plus.

Your needs may vary, but a visit to their site will steer you in the right direction.
Good luck.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by runtime View Post
I’m about to pull the trigger on the Viair 400p automatic model my only concern is the Viair website says the winterizing kit only works with the 400p or 450p automatic RV models. Has anyone used the Winterizing kit with the none RV version of the 400p?
I believe all the 400p are the same, they just package them with more accessories like the RV.
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I had the 450 but returned it. Took me 45 minutes to top off the tires. I decided the 100% duty cycle was not necessary for my purposes.

Ordered the 400. I have an 88p from many years ago and used it once; it too took too long.

The small air pumps are great—can’t knock them for size. They just don’t push much air and take too long. Great for bikes though.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Simpsonville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
I had a couple different 12V air pumps that took forever to fill 80 PSI tires. This one from Home Depot was complete junk: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-12...D12A/301753171

Now I carry a $99 150-PSI Porter-Cable pancake compressor powered by my generator which can easily adjust my 80-PSI tire pressures:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-C...2002/203162815
AirMiles have you use this compressor at home to winterize your rig with. I have a 20 gallon with 2hp motor compressor it's on wheels at home that I'm using now, but it's heavy and awkward to use at 75 years old. I have a little DC inflater for tires, but slow. I have a Honda 2200 to power it if would work. Kill two birds with one stone, maybe ?
sctinman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
I like my small Craftsman Air Boss 1.2 gal. Light weight. A little pricy but Craftsman has a 3 gal horizontal tank, for $79; or 6 gal pancake pancake but got to have an electricit6 source like a Honda generator or the plug in my Chevy.
Ky76Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #34
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I went with an ARB unit. Has worked great so far.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
So the question is which one have you or will buy
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:

This is the company that made the air compressor for the 1950's-1960's trailers, those that had an air compressor instead of a water pump to move the water.
https://www.airhorns.com/prod_detail...compre&pn=1167
The original pump was model number 1393. I do not see that one, but you might give them a call to see if they can provide.

ps:
seems to me that the pressure limit switch would need to be changed on those that Grover offers now, to limit at 40 to 50 psi, to make one of these work.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Mahomet , Illinois
thanks for all the info so far. New question: Looks like Viar 400P is best price for those Viar units. The Viar website says only 400P-RV and 450P-RV can be used for winterizing. They are another $100 or so. Do any of you use your 400P to winterize? How do you get the pressure to the city water inlet. I have a valve to screw in there as usual.
wtrclrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrclrptr View Post
thanks for all the info so far. New question: Looks like Viar 400P is best price for those Viar units. The Viar website says only 400P-RV and 450P-RV can be used for winterizing. They are another $100 or so. Do any of you use your 400P to winterize? How do you get the pressure to the city water inlet. I have a valve to screw in there as usual.
I do not use mine for winterizing. I use it to inflate tires, balls, floats, etc.
I winterize the trailer at home where I have a large compressor. I only use air for blowing from the hose hookup to purge water through the pressure regulator and out through the first low point drain (that will not fill with antifreeze from the pump). All of the other pipes gravity drain then I fill with antifreeze, using the water pump with a winterizing kit.

(edit- I have used it for winterizing on the road, to purge less than 10' of pipe to the first low point drain. Air flow is fairly low ~1.? cfm, so it takes opening and closing the low point valve a couple times while pressure builds enough to push the water)
Old 04-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
"I got tiered of burning out my compressors, so I upgraded to the Dewalt 60VMax battery powered 2.5 gallon unit (DCC2560T1). It's bigger than the other portable options, but it works well. I'm hoping it will last a while. It's expensive, once you buy the unit, batteries, hose and attachments.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear...-kit/dcc2560t1"

We also use this along with a Dewalt impact wrench. It takes about 10 min to fill our very flat truck tire.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #40
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by czunc View Post
I keep a 2 gallon Kobalt compressor in the bed of my truck. If you have a Ford, you can run it using the factory inverter. This make short work of floats, air tools, 80 psi tires and most other light uses.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...sor/1000405185

^^^ we do this too.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote