Old 04-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
I got tiered of burning out my compressors, so I upgraded to the Dewalt 60VMax battery powered 2.5 gallon unit (DCC2560T1). It's bigger than the other portable options, but it works well. I'm hoping it will last a while. It's expensive, once you buy the unit, batteries, hose and attachments.

https://www.dewalt.com/products/gear...-kit/dcc2560t1

Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I carried a pancake type air compressor when I had the motorhome with unlimited storage.
But, for the AS, the Viair 400-P has been good, and requires much less space.

As far as "compressor", if the device did not compress the air, it couldn't force more air into half inflated tires. The piston takes air from outside and compresses it to what is needed to enter the tires.

If my AS tires need 10 pounds after sitting, it probably takes 3 minutes to accomplish that. That's why I don't worry about continuous use.

Nit Pik: Who designed the Viair hoses? First, why they don't use the common air hose quick release is a mystery.
If you buy the kit with two hoses, they are not the same!
(due to the compressor and gauge BOTH having male air fittings.)
One is the master and the second is an extension! Not interchangeable!
They are so coily/springy (is that an adjective?) that if you be so foolish to try putting the two together it springs into a tangle. It's a two person job to keep them separate!

[/rant] I'd buy the Viair again even with warts.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
ViAir for me. Yes, they are not perfect, but it does a great job.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
This thread is about 12V DC air compressors, that need to run continuously to inflate an object like a tire or sports ball, not the typically much larger AC driven air compressors that include a pressure vessel to accumulate compressed air. Even a manual hand bike pump compresses air.

"An air compressor is a device that converts power (using an electric motor, diesel or gasoline engine, etc.) into potential energy stored in pressurized air (i.e., compressed air). ... An air compressor must be differentiated from a pump because it works for any gas/air, while pumps work on a liquid."

See everyones wrong.🤓

... sir, how much is the bike compressor in the window?😂

Bob

"The hardest thing about Airstreaming, clearing your head and accepting how others feel itís supposed to be done"Ö..
Amanamus

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
IMO you want to go with:

Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit + VIAIR 90145 RV Winterization Kit - bottom line is you get what you pay for.

Married With Airstream Blog Click Here
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I keep a 2 gallon Kobalt compressor in the bed of my truck. If you have a Ford, you can run it using the factory inverter. This make short work of floats, air tools, 80 psi tires and most other light uses.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-QUIE...sor/1000405185

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
IMHO ARB (CKMTP12). Hard to beat, gets the job done quickly w/rock solid performance. I found best pricing from 4wd.com.

https://www.4wd.com/p/arb-twin-motor...R-BHWQ-CKMTP12

Safe travels and best regards
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Another vote for VIAIR 400. I have a kit. (carry bag, extra hose, extension cord, changeable tips)
I bought some of the cheaper brands, and every couple of years replaced them.
My VIAIR is more than 10 years old and still going strong.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:08 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Penland , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Added an inline pressure regulator to regulate to 55#'s or so and have had no issues.
Can anyone recommend a compressor that has a built in pressure switch that will turn off the compressor when it reaches a preset pressure? Then after the pressure falls, it would start again to bring it back up to the preset pressure.

Iím looking for one that will pressurize my solar hot water tank and hold it at 40 psi while Iím showering. As I understand it, a regulator would keep the line pressure constant but the compressor would still run continuously until I shut it off manually.
dumbclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
z , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbclub View Post
Can anyone recommend a compressor that has a built in pressure switch that will turn off the compressor when it reaches a preset pressure? Then after the pressure falls, it would start again to bring it back up to the preset pressure.

Iím looking for one that will pressurize my solar hot water tank and hold it at 40 psi while Iím showering. As I understand it, a regulator would keep the line pressure constant but the compressor would still run continuously until I shut it off manually.
I am sure I will be corrected, I believe any compressor you buy now days will have an adjustable regulator,that will let you do what you want.
5150mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
You do not want a compressor for this. You want an accumulator tank, which has an air bladder inside. As water flows into the accumulator tank, the air bladder is compressed. Then, as you run water out of it, the compressed air in the bladder maintains your water pressure.https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Accumu...KD0K1FRRK3PS29
Old 04-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Viair is great; just donít let pistons get wet-it will corrode.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:

I’m looking for one that will pressurize my solar hot water tank and hold it at 40 psi while I’m showering. As I understand it, a regulator would keep the line pressure constant but the compressor would still run continuously until I shut it off manually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You do not want a compressor for this. You want an accumulator tank, which has an air bladder inside. As water flows into the accumulator tank, the air bladder is compressed. Then, as you run water out of it, the compressed air in the bladder maintains your water pressure.https://www.amazon.com/Seaflo-Accumu...KD0K1FRRK3PS29
Some old trailers were made with a metal water tank up front, on top of the floor. They used air pressure from a pump/air compressor, no accumulator. They were designed that way. The original, a piston air compressor, was made by Grover Pump which is no longer available new. Occasionally one will come up for sale on Ebay.

I think a small compressor with really good pressure regulator would do the job. I do not know enough specifics about pressure regulators to make a recommendation on which would be proper.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Austin , Texas
Iím about to pull the trigger on the Viair 400p automatic model my only concern is the Viair website says the winterizing kit only works with the 400p or 450p automatic RV models. Has anyone used the Winterizing kit with the none RV version of the 400p?

runtime is online now   Reply With Quote