Old 08-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Nick..thanks for getting back to me. I'm heading back to the Airstream on August 19 so anytime by then for some guidance as to the location of the "infamous" "4 block heavy duty breaker" will be great as currently, any connection to the isolator is missing. when I started up the engine, I noticed that the voltmeter was "dead" and thought that it was because the alternator had failed. I've since had the alternator checked and it is 100% so this would seem to point to the missing isolator connection through to the battery.
chris

chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:01 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Hi Chris,

Greetings from a sunny Lake Annecy, highly recommended should the French let us back in after Brexit.

Apologies for the tardy reply, but finally, I can reveal some details about the back of my battery tray and that elusive heavy duty junction block.

The 200A SurePower Battery Seperator, which replaced my stock solenoid sits on the back of the battery tray. It is mounted next to a kill switch for the interior 12 volt board. The actual kill switch is situated inside the battery tray.

There are connections to the heavy duty connection block which is mounted on the frame rail directly behind the battery tray. It is all stock stuff and not messed around with. Pictures are attached. You will notice that some of the connnections directly below the heavy duty block have those thermal breakers attached. I think that is for the feed to the 12v fuse panel.

From memory, the ones on the heavy duty block go to the solenoid, generator and starter, but possibly also the chevy fuse panel, isolator and alternator. If you have a look at the diagram i have attached, you will see the Airstream wiring set-up. There are others, probably yourself included, who are better at interpreting this stuff than me.......

I hope this is all clear, but do let me know if you need any more information or pictures.

Good luck

Nick

PS You inspired me to getting my battery tray all re-welded, which was a worthwhile job and one less major catastrophe to face on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6410.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	348923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6411.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	348924  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6412.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	348925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6413.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	348926  

Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I'm not sure how many other owners are in receipt of those Airstream wiring diagrams, but we should probably start a post up so that people can add them for their coach and year.
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:28 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Rewiring the box

Nick...so much to thank you for in so little time as I'm about to head up to New Mexico and finish the battery box recovery project. This trip, I'm indeed fortunate to have a visit from Peter Hausman who will be at Taos, not far from me. He's very kindly offered to take time out from his vacation to "double-check" the project.
Interestingly, he also had suggested the Surepower battery separator as an option to replacing the solenoid but as I already have the solenoid, we'll stay with that. I'll be rebuilding the 4 ga connection from the isolator back to the solenoid. Thanks for the diagram and pics which will be most helpful. They look very like how mine used to look before the demolition including the connection block. I've written to Boris to ensure that he considers your holiday needs as he approaches these final Brexit negotiations.
More from New Mexico as hopefully, all goes well. Thanks again Nick..much appreciated.
I'll also scan my circuit stuff for your collection.

chriscraw is offline   Reply With Quote