Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Banks power pack on a 454 '88 345

I have heard that more air flow will increase my mileage. I have been looking at my carburator air box and filter on my Banks power pack. It appears that inside the typical fiber air filter(Fram circle element) there is a permenant charcoal filter fixed to the housing and has something to do with safety...this inner filter has got to be restricting air flow and I wondered if anyone knew the results of taking it off and just running with a simple typical fiber air filter normally used in most 454 engines ...thank for any advice... Mr. D.
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Mr D greetings ,

You are very correct that charqcoal inner element is extremely restrictive. to remove it if you decide to you need to take air cleaneroff of course and with heavy leather work gloves on you begin to dislodge it from air cleaner . It is glued down at the base in a major way. It needs to be cut open then empty the charqcoal out . You then must rip out the whole screen and upper metal ring (YOU NEED THE GLOVES TO DO THIS) . The lower metal ring will not want to come out so leave it there. It will not hurt anything. Your banks kit should have a K&N filter in there . If its just a paper one toss it for a K&N .I am a mechanic by trade and years ago gm trucks had those charqcoal elements in the filter housing . the charqcoal bits wouldwork their way into the canister thru that hose that runs from the air cleaner to the canister screwing it all up. That is was the initial reason why we would remove them. You should check the charqcoal canister if possible to see if its loade with that garbage. I wouldnt doubt it . If so youll need a new one .
Good luck
scott of scottanlily
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Thanks Scott, I did remove the charcoal ring in my air cleaner and the engine feels stronger and actually is idling at a higher RPM. I have also noticed some run on after I turn the engine off. I did not have this prior to taking the inner filter off. Could this run on be connected with the better air flow in any way...thanks again for any advice...Mr. D.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Mr D ,

getting rid of that element really helps . you need to lower the idle back down to about where it was .No surprise you removed a big restriction . You can turn down the idle speed by turning the adjustment screw on the drivers side of the carburetor ,its kinda hidden by the throttle linkage and its close to the front of the carb .It will be a small headed adjustment screw . now Im not talking about the idle mixture screws at the front of the carb at the base of it . Look carefully you will find it .The higher idle adds more fuel and the engine will run on or diesel as they say .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Thanks again Scott...between the throttle adj. and my sticky choke I have the idle down and the run on is gone ... I hope to gain increased performance and mileage...leaving for Florida 4/13...will know more when I reach St. Augustine...Mr. D.