Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Guess what I did yesterday?

Last week I got O'Reilly's Auto Parts to order me a new, heavy duty water pump:

Originally Posted by O'Reilly's web site
Limited lifetime warranty

It came in on Friday, and the Store Manager laid it out on the counter beside a regular duty water pump for my inspection. Without taking the backing plate off (did you catch that, Terry ), I couldn't see any difference between the two pumps. I was hoping the super-duper pump would at least have a glitzy paint job.

The manager, who appeared to have turned a few wrenches in his life, could not shed any additional light on the subject and admitted this was the first one of these pumps he had seen. Hoping that the pump might help, I went ahead and bought it.

Here is a picture of the old water pump with the backing plate removed:

There does not appear to be anything wrong with it. The impeller neither loose on the shaft nor rotted away. Several threads from another forum drove me to look at the impellor clearance, which was measured to be [about] 0.070":

Pulling the backing plate off of the super-duper water pump, there was one immediate, noticable difference - a round plate riveted to the impeller:

With my limited knowledge of hydrodynamics, I can see that plate making a difference in the pump's efficiency. Since the plate is there at all AND it is riveted on, I must assume this was the manufacturer's concession for "increased cooling capacity". My reasoning here is that nowadays, manufacturers don't add parts that are not essential to operation or to back up a claim.

Everything on the HD pump I could measure was the same size on the regular pump.

I also flushed the system and went back to green coolant.

Although the Overlander's next trip is still a week-and-a-half away, I will drive the Suburban to work this week to get all the bubbles out of the cooling system and gauge the truck's "unloaded" performance.

Thanks for everyone's help,

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member
1984 27' Airstream 270
Wayne , Ohio
Check for either plugged tubes inside the radiator, or the cooling fins coming loose from the tubes. The other thing it could be is dirt plugging the fins.

tomjunw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Tom, the plate on the back of the impeller is to reduce cavitation, and increase coolant flow.
For those who don't know, but do care, cavitation is caused by extremely low pressure allowing water to boil at very low temperatures, hence the bubbles (boiling water). That is one of the reasons submarines travel in very deep water, the higher pressure from the water decreases the tendency to cavitate behind the propeller (boiling water is noisy). The boiling cold water can cause damage to metal parts as well as noise, and cause a loss in efficiency of the device moving the water.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The time has arrived

Although the Overlander's next trip is still a week-and-a-half away
It's onward ho to Jackson MS with all the replacements/improvements. We're staying at a new Camp Jellystone near the area while attending my Uncle Bill's 70th birthday party (read: family reunion).

Wish us luck,

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote