Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Interesting reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
...Interesting comment about pink versus green coolant. Yes, I am running pink coolant in the Suburban. Doing so means I only have to keep up with one type of coolant. I never thought it could cause an over heating problem...
Forum member ROBERT CROSS replied to a PM I sent him about DexCool:

Quote:
... Probably the biggest mistake people make with antifreeze is the mixture. It needs to be a 50/50 mixture, without the proper amount of water a straight mixture will not cool properly.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...m_dexcool.html

Autoblog

Anyone have anthing to add?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:

Tom
Just that the impeller on the water pump is a couple of inches from the block, with a steel plate on the back of the pump. I would think if the impeller were slipping, it would do so more at higher engine speeds, as there would be more resistance to movement from the natural viscousity of the coolant.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Forum member ROBERT CROSS replied to a PM I sent him about DexCool:

Tom
That PDF link posted recommended a 44/56 antifreeze/water mix caught my eye.

I had read a good coolant article many years ago in Car & Driver and it had a lot of good info about Red verses green and mixtures including a 40/60 for warmer climates.

One thing I remember about that article is NEVER put Red in an older vehicle.

WOW! its still online!

Good read I thought and some of the gear heads here might be interested.
Red Verse Green
Top it Up with Green? Or Orange? Which Antifreeze? - Column/Patrick Bedard/C/D Staff/Columns/Features/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

Mixtures and older vehicles.
Dr. Turcotte Writes a Few Coolant Prescriptions. - Column/Patrick Bedard/C/D Staff/Columns/Features/Car and Driver - Car And Driver
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Just that the impeller on the water pump is a couple of inches from the block, with a steel plate on the back of the pump. ...
That's a nice way of saying that I confused my Burb's water pump with another one of my vehicle's water pumps.

You're right, Terry. A Suburban water pump has a backing plate.

I noticed my mistake after the editing period was over, and hoped no one would notice.

I forgot about you....

Tom
Old 05-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
That's a nice way of saying that I confused my Burb's water pump with another one of my vehicle's water pumps.

You're right, Terry. A Suburban water pump has a backing plate.

I noticed my mistake after the editing period was over, and hoped no one would notice.

I forgot about you....

Tom
The same thing happens to me at work, when I have a senior moment and hope no one notices...Inevitably some one does.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
radiator

have you checked the radiator for blockage ? you have hit on everything but that.A BLOCKED RADIATOR STILL SHOWS FLOW HAVE A hand held heat sensor movineing along the rad checking the temp from top to bottom and side to side.on that year vechile with milage you can expect some blockage. it happened to my truck and I change my antifreeze evey 2 yrs.had the rad recored and no more problems.boiling it out weakened the core on mine thats why the recore.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
GM TSB's on Overheating

Quote:
Larry,

The fan clutch is brand-new, and operates like I think it should.

The last one lasted about three years before leaking all it's silicone fluid out and doing nothing but freewheel.

The one before it seized on my Overlander's first trip.

My Quadrajet has the throttle shaft play you mentioned. If I could find a decent machinest AND new bushings, I would fix it. Care to recommend anyone?

Thanks for your insight - I do appreciate it.

Tom
Tom;
I checked for all applicable TSB's on '84 model w/7.4 engine for overheating.
There are 3 TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins). They include pictures which for some reason don't open up in PDF format (?). I'll break this into 2 posts as follows; this post has 2 PDF's. One is a supplement to the other. Both have the same illustrations, so I won't duplicate. I would give serious consideration to an add-on GM electric cooling fan (part # in TSB) as this is an identified problem that relates to your symptoms in your 1st post.

As far as the Rochester Quad goes, I would suggest a machinest that has worked with aluminum and have some brass bushings made to fit the throttle plate/shaft. The only other quad issue has been the power valve has been known to stick in the down position resulting in noticeable loss of power. #0000 steel wool takes the scoring out of the brass valve restoring free up and down travel. No parts needed providing the air horn gasket isn't damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure_1_87530.gif
Views:	129
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	59918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure_2_87765.gif
Views:	128
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	59919  

Name:	Figure_3_90247.gif
Views:	127
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	59920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Figure_4_85474.gif
Views:	124
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	59921  

Name:	Figure_5_85473.gif
Views:	122
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	59922  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hi_Temp_Overheat_ ID_ 433517.pdf (48.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: pdf Hi_Temp_Overheat_Document ID_ 269903.pdf (48.2 KB, 213 views)
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
TSB Overheat part 2

Tom;
Here is the last TSB, which you should read first. Take note of the dates of each TSB. Before I spent any $, I'd verify good airflow through any coolers, condenser and lastly the radiator. There should be no debris causing any restriction. Per this TSB, I wouldn't worry about casting flash. With high miles, head gasket deteration would be a last resort possibilty. Hopefully this wil provide some direction for a cure to your woes with minimal expense.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Illustration_1_89272.gif
Views:	114
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	59924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Illustration_2_86106.gif
Views:	110
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	59925  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Overheat_High_Temp_Diag_ID_ 433094.pdf (46.2 KB, 176 views)
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Guess what I did yesterday?

Last week I got O'Reilly's Auto Parts to order me a new, heavy duty water pump:

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Reilly's web site
MASTER PARTS DIVISION - New Water Pump
Limited lifetime warranty
HEAVY DUTY WATER PUMP
INCREASED COOLING CAPACITY/HEAVY DUTY COMPONENTS

It came in on Friday, and the Store Manager laid it out on the counter beside a regular duty water pump for my inspection. Without taking the backing plate off (did you catch that, Terry ), I couldn't see any difference between the two pumps. I was hoping the super-duper pump would at least have a glitzy paint job.

The manager, who appeared to have turned a few wrenches in his life, could not shed any additional light on the subject and admitted this was the first one of these pumps he had seen. Hoping that the pump might help, I went ahead and bought it.

Here is a picture of the old water pump with the backing plate removed:

There does not appear to be anything wrong with it. The impeller neither loose on the shaft nor rotted away. Several threads from another forum drove me to look at the impellor clearance, which was measured to be [about] 0.070":

Pulling the backing plate off of the super-duper water pump, there was one immediate, noticable difference - a round plate riveted to the impeller:

With my limited knowledge of hydrodynamics, I can see that plate making a difference in the pump's efficiency. Since the plate is there at all AND it is riveted on, I must assume this was the manufacturer's concession for "increased cooling capacity". My reasoning here is that nowadays, manufacturers don't add parts that are not essential to operation or to back up a claim.

Everything on the HD pump I could measure was the same size on the regular pump.

I also flushed the system and went back to green coolant.

Although the Overlander's next trip is still a week-and-a-half away, I will drive the Suburban to work this week to get all the bubbles out of the cooling system and gauge the truck's "unloaded" performance.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Tom
Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Wayne , Ohio
Check for either plugged tubes inside the radiator, or the cooling fins coming loose from the tubes. The other thing it could be is dirt plugging the fins.
tomjunw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Tom, the plate on the back of the impeller is to reduce cavitation, and increase coolant flow.
For those who don't know, but do care, cavitation is caused by extremely low pressure allowing water to boil at very low temperatures, hence the bubbles (boiling water). That is one of the reasons submarines travel in very deep water, the higher pressure from the water decreases the tendency to cavitate behind the propeller (boiling water is noisy). The boiling cold water can cause damage to metal parts as well as noise, and cause a loss in efficiency of the device moving the water.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
The time has arrived

Quote:
Although the Overlander's next trip is still a week-and-a-half away
It's onward ho to Jackson MS with all the replacements/improvements. We're staying at a new Camp Jellystone near the area while attending my Uncle Bill's 70th birthday party (read: family reunion).

Wish us luck,

Tom