Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Auto Park

Well I just got back from a WWII weekend www.mamm.org and the auto park brake light went on. I stop the MH and check things out and the parking brake seem at the time not locking up , so I guessed that the switch was bad. About 150 miles in to the trip home a brake smell arose right after a heavy stop to watch a pick up truck fliped up side down on the side of the road ( nobody was hurt luck) so I guessed it was the MH brakes. I drove home and thew the Mh in park and just about got out and the MH stared to roll down hill ( a small grade) in the driveway. After all this my question is this, I guess there is no park pin in a 1995 LY MH with a 4l80E trans, and the Auto park is the only source to park this in place right?. So where can I find some repair books or info besides the horror story on the famed nightmare of GM's Auto Park? any info woudl be real helful. Thanks Jim
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Jim,

Was this the Reading Air Show? The link wasn't quite right--

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

We've enjoyed this show a couple of times--it's a super take in. It's wonderful to get to meet the original pilots, see the planes and do a bit of lindy hopping! Where did you camp? How early did you need reservations?

Sorry about the brakes--I hope it didn't ruin your experience!

Mary
Old 06-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Opps
www.maam.org

"I hope it didn't ruin your experience"

No the trip was great . I didn't meet the original pilots I did talk to some real nice people. As for the camping when I parked in where america sleeps WALMART. I saved a few bucks because gas is so pricey. Walmart was only a few miles from the show, it was a bit noisie but at 12 am I just passed out.Jim
Old 06-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I think my most thrilling experience was meeting some of the Tuskeegee Airmen. I had read a book about them and I was even able to geuss one man's identity correctly! We've also seen the Enola Gay crew and several original WACs too. One year, I wore a vintage Red Cross uniform...several older women stopped me and told me their own war stories. Meeting them all is just an amazing experience... Hopefully, next year we can take the trailer up...it would make for a great rally, wouldn't it?

Mary
Old 06-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

A rally would be cool. Dorney Park is right there may be a Saturday at Dorney Park and the WWII weekend on Sunday, and then Cabell's on the way out.I think that could work.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I'm not familiar with Cabells, but I see online that Dorney Park is an amusement park, which might be nice for families with kids. For us, there is plenty to keep us busy at the airshow...Especially since many of our friends go each year.

Here is a photo of the time I wore the Red Cross uniform. The lady to my left served in the front lines of the European Theatre as a Red Cross volunteer--the man, if I recall correctly, was the director of Red Cross of PA. They stopped me and she was so thrilled to see someone wearing her old uniform...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reading_Photo 2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	12684  
Old 06-06-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim8860
Well I just got back from a WWII weekend www.mamm.org and the auto park brake light went on. I stop the MH and check things out and the parking brake seem at the time not locking up , so I guessed that the switch was bad. About 150 miles in to the trip home a brake smell arose right after a heavy stop to watch a pick up truck fliped up side down on the side of the road ( nobody was hurt luck) so I guessed it was the MH brakes. I drove home and thew the Mh in park and just about got out and the MH stared to roll down hill ( a small grade) in the driveway. After all this my question is this, I guess there is no park pin in a 1995 LY MH with a 4l80E trans, and the Auto park is the only source to park this in place right?. So where can I find some repair books or info besides the horror story on the famed nightmare of GM's Auto Park? any info woudl be real helful. Thanks Jim
Okay, getting back to your original question. I have had to replace the pressure switch for the parking brake on those rigs, the switch will blow out, and start leaking hydraulic oil, until there is none left in the reservoir, at which time the parking brake will apply, until it is completely burned off. If you crawl under your unit, on the curb side, around the area where the step is, you will find a largish metal cover held on with 4 bolts mounted on the inside of the frame, between it and the driveshaft. Take the cover off, it should be 9/16" bolts, and locate a pressure switch that resembles an A/C low pressure cutoff switch. If you unplug the switch, you will most likely find a bunch of hydraulic oil inside the plug. You can unscrew the switch, and go to your local GM truck dealer. For around $60 or so, you can get a new switch, and on the way back home, pick up a couple of quarts of hydraulic oil, you will need it.
Crawl back under the motor home, install the switch, and locate the fill for the hydraulic reservoir. Fill the reservoir, reattach the metal cover, and start the motor home. Put the motor home in gear, then put it back in park. check to see if the motor home tries to roll away, if it doesn't you got lucky, and don't need to go any further.
If it rolls away, you will need to replace the parking brake shoes.
That is another can of worms, that will require removing the front of the driveshaft, and the parking brake drum.
After doing that, you will most likely notice that the shoes are worn completely away. If not, they are so far oout of adjustment, that they will not hold. If they are adjustable, try adjusting the shoes out until they will not allow the motor home to move. If you can't adjust them, you will need to make a second trip to your Chevy truck dealer, for new parking brake shoes.
The shoes should be easy to replace, just make sure the actuator cable is attached correctly before reinstalling the drum.
After all this, you should have park again.
Good luck with it, and I hope it is the switch, it is the least expensive fix.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Put the motor home in gear, then put it back in park. check to see if the motor home tries to roll away, if it doesn't you got lucky

Well I am not lucky the MH rolls away. Thanks for the info. What type of hydraulic oil do I use? Thanks Jim
Old 06-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim8860
Well I am not lucky the MH rolls away. Thanks for the info. What type of hydraulic oil do I use? Thanks Jim
Standard Hydraulic oil in quart bottles, not hydraulic jack oil, however. You could probably get the correct oil from the dealer whiler you are there getting the switch, or at least find out the spec for it, to purchase outside. Where all my notes are on this, is not, unfortunately, where I am now (home propped up in a recliner).
Old 07-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Well thanks Terry.

Just what you thought. I found a book a Buick dealer, go figure.The switch sprung a leak and lost pressure. As for the fluid just Dextron will do. Also I need teh parking brake shoes + I changed the seal it was a bit leaking as well. The job to about 3 hrs and about $150 ish in parts.Thanks Jim