Old 07-04-2009, 10:58 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
I have a theory.

I have an 82, 280. It has a new crate engine, new radiator, new clutch fan, all new engine stuff. It cools great at idle. It gets warm at speed. (approx 210) Let it idle again and its down to 170.

I know it's making more residual heat at speed so it has to dump more heat. But there is the cooling fan shroud that looks to me like it is blocking the natural ram air at speed thereby making the engine run hot.

Take off shroud. More air at speed. Better cooling.

Anyone?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatango View Post
I have an 82, 280. It has a new crate engine, new radiator, new clutch fan, all new engine stuff. It cools great at idle. It gets warm at speed. (approx 210) Let it idle again and its down to 170.

I know it's making more residual heat at speed so it has to dump more heat. But there is the cooling fan shroud that looks to me like it is blocking the natural ram air at speed thereby making the engine run hot.

Take off shroud. More air at speed. Better cooling.

Anyone?
deltatango- concerning removing shroud: we have a 1970 GMC 'Jimmy', 350 small block. I tried to drive it across town (once) without the shroud on (to wrecking yard to get new shroud) and it ran wayyy to hot where I had to stop more than once to let it cool down. Fortunately I was able to find one there but had the same trouble getting home until I could put in on. Once it was in place, no more running hot problem. I would think the shroud directs the cool air that the fan pulls thru the radiator to the front of engine. Just my 2cents.

However, on our motorhomes, it sure would open up access to everything if that shroud wasn't there blocking it all but I think you would be creating new problems.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #17
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
my 'silver bullet' runs upwards of 220 degrees too. I installed a electric fan oil cooler under the bump in a large air dam, It runs 220 degrees. I moved the tranny cooler down under the bumper, it runs 220 degree. I run the dash A/C or don't run the dash A/C and it runs 220 degrees. I had the radiator roded and cleaned, it runs 220 degrees. If it's 50 degrees out, it runs 220 degree.
The fan clutch will kick in on most hills, which is a big drain on the engine power.
Wonder if someone makes a shroud with hinged doors that would open when the air flow warranted it. I've seen small cars with doors on the cooling shrouds.
mel
Old 07-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
You know, I wonder if some Redline Water Wetter might help out the situation a bit. I used to use it in our old MG back when we lived in hot country.

Red Line Oil: Coolants and Others

Lynn
Old 07-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
They run hot, so what? I've never heard of too many of them blowing up; the plus is you can wrap your dinner in foil and put it on the manifolds, be ready in a half hour.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #20
Kenneth

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Waxahachie , Texas
I agree. I think you would probably be creating more problems by removing the shroud. It would definately run hot at idle. I read a post which suggested that the anti freeze be no more than 50/50. Mine was a full 100%, and when I reduced it down to 50% it did run cooler. Go figure. By the way my problem of running out of gas turned out to be a faulty new filter at the carb. In the mean time I have replaced ALL of the flexible lines from the tank and blew out the soild lines. My mechanic suggested we leave out the filter at the carb since the gas has already been through 3 filters by the time it gets to the carb. Running great. Sorry it took so long, anf thanks for all of your help. Kenneth
Old 08-30-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
my 'silver bullet' runs upwards of 220 degrees too. I installed a electric fan oil cooler under the bump in a large air dam, It runs 220 degrees. I moved the tranny cooler down under the bumper, it runs 220 degree. I run the dash A/C or don't run the dash A/C and it runs 220 degrees. I had the radiator roded and cleaned, it runs 220 degrees. If it's 50 degrees out, it runs 220 degree.
The fan clutch will kick in on most hills, which is a big drain on the engine power.
Wonder if someone makes a shroud with hinged doors that would open when the air flow warranted it. I've seen small cars with doors on the cooling shrouds.
mel
It's crazy. Why can't these things run cool?