Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2015, 06:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
Anyone have experience using wireless lights on their toad with the older MH?

I have an '88 345 and when I connect my new wireless transmitter to the trailer plug nothing happens. I know for certain the wiring is good to the plug and the wireless lights work on my '06 F150. The techs at Pilot, the company that makes the lights, said go heavy duty on the flasher relay, no improvement. Anyone know more about this? Mr. D.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
I have 40+ years designing wireless systems for some of the most demanding environments possible.

Although the wording of the OP's post is somewhat vague, if I understand correctly the OP is trying to use a wireless system to control the parking and brake lights on the towed vehicle from a wireless control located in the motorhome.

I strongly advise against using any wireless system for this purpose. All wireless control systems are inherently not 100% dependable. It is very unwise to use a wireless system to control a safety feature (tail and brake lights), as many very unexpected things can go wrong with the system.

Factors include:
- Design deficiencies
- Installation issues
- Communication reliability issues (interference, etc.)
- Environmental and Age Related Issues (consumer grade wireless systems become increasingly unreliable with with factors such as rain, humidity, extremes in cold or hot temperatures, wireless/hardwired connections to the vehicles, etc.

I recommend abandoning this approach if in fact it is designed to control safety features such as on the road use of tail/brake lights, etc.

If the OP needs help with a wired system, there are many here who would be happy to lend an ear and offer experienced advice to help get over any design/installation/operational hurdles.

Safety first (or was it profits? I can never remember which.)

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
White Lake , Michigan
more clarification of problem

Thanks for the response and advice, I guess I'm not making myself clear. The light system essentially becomes my tail, turn and brake lights for the tow vehicle. The led tail lights magnetically attach to the tow vehicle and instead of plugging into my Motorhome with 20' connector wire, a transmitter plugs into the trailer hitch plug(6 point plug) and eliminate the need to have any wires extending to the back of my tow vehicle. These light bars are very popular and have no problem working on newer vehicles, only older vehicles seem to have a problem.
Mr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
I took my toads to the hitch place where they wired in a lead to the lights. It's just a short lead that lives in the front grill of the toad, that you pull out and plug into the trailer plug on the TV. No hassle, no long, ungainly wires, no magnetic lights to fall off on big bumps. Absolute dependability!
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote