Old 05-22-2008, 04:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Leesburg , Georgia
Antifreeze in the oil supply

the other day i changed the oil on my new, erm '85 345 and sent off a sample of the old stuff to blackstonelabs.com for testing.

"We found enough potassium and sodium in your sample to indicate the possibility of anti-freeze getting into the oil supply. Have you had to add any coolant lately? If so, you can be sure a problem exists.
Iron, copper, and lead all read above average, which shows a little excess wear at the bearings. At this point, copper is the only metal in the cautionary range. We suggest monitoring your coolant level and resampling in ~2,000-miles to see how your engine is doing. Universal averages for the 7.4L are based on an oil run of ~3,400 miles."

end quote

I had to add anti-freeze recently during a fluid check while on vacation.
How could this stuff get into the oil, aren't they suppose to follow two separate chambers?
btw. im somewhat mechanically challenged but do know the difference between whats supposed to go in where.

See attached for full report.
thanks all in advance
Attached Files
File Type: pdf D40391.pdf (22.8 KB, 77 views)

Old 05-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Two words: "Head Gasket"

A betting person would surmise that your head gasket is leaking. That allows fluids normally separated to mix. In my somewhat lmited experience, that's the most usual way that antifreeze gets into the oil. In any event, it needs to be attended to pretty quickly before it becomes a wholesale leak, which puts water into the crankcase, thus into bearings, onto cylinder walls, etc.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Headgasket! Unless your setup includes a heatexchanger for engine oil cooling.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm not sure which engine that has, but generally there are a couple of ways come to mind right off, neither of them are good news.
You are right that they should be seperate systems.
A crack in the block, a blown head gasket or a cracked head may all produce a crossover in fluids.
Is the oil getting enough coolant in it to look milky?
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Head Gasket

Sorry
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
Look at your exhaust when idleing. White puffy smoke is bad. I had a 454 in mine that had serious overheating issues and cracked the passenger side exhaust manifold twice before I changed to headers. When this engine overheats it can warp the head enough to let antifreeze in to the oil. Most will burn off and the head seals again when the motor cools. When you first start it up do you hear a ticking noise on the passenger side? As it warms up the ticking goes away untill it gets really hot? If so, you have a cracked exhaust manifold and possibly a warped head, more likely a blown head gasket. I put headers on mine and a manual fan in front of the radiator. Good Luck!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:22 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have several antique cars that we do all the mechanicing on. Coolant in the Oil means one of two things, a cracked engine block or a blown head gasket. The latter is the preferable cause.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
It may not be as bad as you think, I hope. It could be the oil cooler in the radiator, or maybe the intake manifold gasket has developed a leak. Both are not uncommon in that engine.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Im wiff Ryan HEAD Gasket First Then suspect a cracked head. You had anti-frezze in it so I wouldn't worry about a cracked block,unless U have run it out of water. You know Id suspect and intake manifold gasket also. I would seekout a not only a competant mechinac but a mechinac who is good at dignoseing things so it dont cost U and arm and one of your legs and a bunch of parts U really don't need.
Best of Luck To U
Roger
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Most likely a head gasket and will be an expensive fix unless you are a DIY'er.

You can always try "Liquid Glass". Many will not agree since this is a work around but I have used it on tractors and an older Ford with good results.

Garry
Old 05-22-2008, 06:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Ditto on the Head Gasket

Head gasket is my first guess too, although the intake gaskets are also good suspects. Cracked head or block is really worst case scenario. I have seen a 289 Ford years ago that had an aluminum timing gear cover that served as the back of the water pump. A hole had corroded in it allowing massive leakage into the sump. The high pressures involved, the owner was a drag racer, homogenized the oil and water. He drained about 8 gallons of a creamy white mixture from a 6 quart oil pan.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Head gasket is my first guess too, although the intake gaskets are also good suspects. Cracked head or block is really worst case scenario. I have seen a 289 Ford years ago that had an aluminum timing gear cover that served as the back of the water pump. A hole had corroded in it allowing massive leakage into the sump. The high pressures involved, the owner was a drag racer, homogenized the oil and water. He drained about 8 gallons of a creamy white mixture from a 6 quart oil pan.
The Ford 3.0 "U" engine used in Taurus, Ranger, and Aerostar also had a water pump issue. The impeller would wear a hole in the timing cover, and all the water from the cooling system would end up in the crankcase. Unfortunately the 7.4 engine does not have this feature, so that can't be the problem.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
compression check

When doing a compression check you can check out the plugs as well. You can tell how each cylinder is burning. The curb side rear is the least cooled cylinder. How long have you had this MH? How is the power under a good load? Ever overheat on you? This problem doesn't sound terminal--nothing that can't be fixed if it is diagnosed correctly. Good Luck
Old 05-22-2008, 08:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Absolutely Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The Ford 3.0 "U" engine used in Taurus, Ranger, and Aerostar also had a water pump issue. The impeller would wear a hole in the timing cover, and all the water from the cooling system would end up in the crankcase. Unfortunately the 7.4 engine does not have this feature, so that can't be the problem.
Hi Terry,

Once again you are absolutely correct. I know the 454 very well.

My point was that sometimes water/coolant gets in from very strange sources. I should have made that clearer. You should have been there when we were draining all that stuff out, though. It was a dark cream color and about the consistency of ranch dressing.

I once tracked an elusive coolant leak into the oil (enough to start a slight creamy tint to the oil) on a Perkins diesel on an International Harvester combine into the oil by putting packets of red dye into the coolant like the leak finder R12 you saw in the past. Found a crack around a core-casting plug (aka “freeze plug”) in the head under the valve cover. Required shipping a new head in from England. It was also a long way up the thing to lug that head.

Thanks for clarifying that the leak on a 454 (It will take me a long time to refer to them as metric. On newer engines, ok. I call my F150 a 5.4.) could not have come from the water pump.