Old 05-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
76 Argosy 28' MH
Currently Looking...
1975 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Ohio
alternator squealing

This is my 3rd alernator i have put on. The last one is a 135amp. Did great going camping, charging good everything seemed to be doing great. Went about 130 miles, camped for 3 days and on the way home, didn't get far, i started to here a squelling sound just like on the other 2. Amp gauge starting falling off but did not drop in the negative range. Made it home OK but the squelling never stoped. It did however would stop when i was at a stop or traffic light. Once i started moving it would start squelling again. Belt good and tight and is new. Any help would be great. 76 Argosy 28'

Thanks John

Chief 1, You light em = we fight em
john roeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Squealing's just about gotta be a belt. This could also mean belt/pulley combo or possibly that the vibration damper on the crankshft is defective and slipping.Not much else qualifies.

"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If it's got a serpentine belt, the tensioner could have a bad bearing, or the pulley on the alternator could have loosened up.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
2005 LY 30 SO / New Serpentine Belt

I had an awful squealing noise coming from my engine compartment, but no alternator problem. Took it to the Cauley Chevrolet dealer here in West Bloomfield, MI (an approved Workhorse facility). They replaced the serp belt with the same kind, but the problem came back. The next time they used a different kind of belt and cured the problem. Can't remember what kind of belt they used, but if you need to know, email me and I'll look it up. They said they had this same kind of issue on many of the Corvettes they sell and solved it the same way. Go figure. I'm just glad they fixed the squeal on my new MH.
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Sounds like maybe a bad reguletor. It my be full fielding which means its putting out 135 amps even if the battery doesnt need it. When you rev the motor it will make more amps(135in this case) than at an idle, hence the belt squeeling when you throttle the engine up. On a 1976 I would think the alt has an internal regulater which means a junk alt. My experiance the last few(20) years is rebuilt alts are not rebuilt,and are junk. This seems to be espessially true of NAPA brand.OEM is the way to go if you want to keep moving, or get a small reputible electrical shop to rebuild it. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
loose belt?

Make sure belt is tight.
Try putting some belt dressing on belt.
Jimmini :
AKA : TUMBLEWEED. Just an old buzzard with a itch to yonder.
Man has only those rights he can defend
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Had the same problem on a Dodge truck I had after replacing the serpentine belt. Come to find out it was slipping on the airconditioner pully and causing the squeel. After changing back to the old belt, the problem went away. Sold the truck a year later with the same old original belt on it.

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote