Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Alternative generator installation

My little 20' Argosy mh has an old Generac 4k genset installed in the back end under the bed. I'm not a big fan of the Generac for one it runs at 2400 rpm and is a single cylinder. The 6.5k Onan that I have from the 345 is a couple of inches wider and a little longer. The original orientation of the Onan in the 345 was the the long side of the genset was installed lengthwise in the motorhome.

After checking all my dimensions it seems pretty clear that the Onan will fit just fine in the Argosy compartment if I install it 90 degrees to what it was in the 345. That sort of puts the controls (what few there are) on the side of the genset when looking at it from the genset door opening at the rear of the motorhome.

The Argosy genset compartment is actually quite large. Large enough infact that if I install it this way it would be fairly easy to install it on drawer slides like I did for the genset in our 310. That would make it relatively easy to do any sort of maintenance or troubleshooting on it.

Anyone see any obvious flaws in my plan?!

Thanks,

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Just make sure you have adequate air flow too and from the engine’s cooling system and the exhaust clears with enough space. The exhaust pipe may have to be cut and turned to exit properly. You don't want fumes getting into the sleeping compartment. Other then that, it should work just fine.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Just make sure you have adequate air flow too and from the engineís cooling system and the exhaust clears with enough space. The exhaust pipe may have to be cut and turned to exit properly. You don't want fumes getting into the sleeping compartment. Other then that, it should work just fine.
Surprisingly the compartment on the Argosy is larger and taller than the one on the 345. Another interesting thing about the Argosy genset compartment is it has a fan installed to circulate air. Assuming there is room I'll probably leave it installed, that is if it still works

It will need a whole new exhaust, I don't like the way it is currently routed and that was on my improvement list.

Thanks!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote