Old 09-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Boise , Idaho
Allison questions / how many cans of worms can a 28' motorhome hold

After a year spent reviving Dads 81 28' turbo diesel 10 days before maiden voyage , the allison loses reverse, inspection showed rust on internals from sitting , Dean pulls tranny and rebuilds ( very simple trans actually ) as luck goes with this project , the third time trans was installed it works, made the maiden voyage. Having never driven this yacht before or really looked at the mechanics and the pathetic lack of information available can anyone tell me , were the diesel units factory built or converted , as mine appears an cobbled up afterthought, Trans is a AT545 4spd, no park model , I suspect it is wrong appliaction , 1st 2 shifts ok, last 2 have to run the engine up against the governor then lift to get it to shift, this after canning the vacuum modulator and installing mechanical modulator a turbo diesel would demand , valve body needs reworked, Once we get the trans issues worked out, and can locate a speedometer gear for said trans and get speedometer to work ( which has been total exasperation , Airstream/ Allison / GM absolutely no help ) we ask the question are these Isuzu turbo diesels really the dogs they appear at first and should I just buy a rolled Dodge and put a real diesel in it , or add a hitch and make a trailer out of the thing

Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I can confirm that a 28' can hold less cans of worms than a 34'...

Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
That's odd, I did not know AS installed Allisons in the early mo/hos. Ours is a GM turbo that a guy in Idaho hot-rodded for us with some Allison parts, works perfect. Without a overdrive, the Isuzu engine is indeed a slug, but remember what the speed limit was back then.With a o.d., we can do 65mph @ 3200 rpm. Fuel mileage is a steady 15mpg. Those engines are tanks, ours burns no oil.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
I'm with Mike, I thought they only used the Chev TH400. It appears Airstream did the conversions in house. I talked to a guy who said he talked to the mechanic at Airstream who actually did the conversions.

Diesels can drive gasoline designed transmissions but they have to be set up properly. Allisons have to have the proper torque converter set up for engine rpm and torque. The TH400 had some clutch and valve body mods from Airstream. When a diesel fires the pulse and vibration is different than that of a gasoline engine. This also can create problems for a trans designed for a gas engine.

Allison should be able to set you up with a speedometer drive. You may have to buy a ratio change gear-box to get the proper ratio for your dash meter. Any good speedometer shop should have what you need. These are simple mechanical speedometers.

Keep in mind that this is a 30 year old coach built on a truck chassis. The Isuzu is not a modern ball of fire but it will do a fine job of propelling your coach down the highway for many, many miles. Mileage in the 14 - 15 mpg range beats just about any similar sized coach on the road today.

I have a '92 Dodge Cummins and with a trailer with gross weight similar to the Airstream not much difference in power and worse mpg. The newer computer engines do better but for a 30 year old mechanical diesel the Isuzu does just fine.

Good luck, Dan
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Boise , Idaho
Reasons not to install an Allison AT545 in your motorhome

Turbo 400's work
you can't trip over a column shifter
allison holds 5+ gallons of atf
allison has no (park) feature
allison offers NO speedo gear
Allison want's 400.00 for a new governor and can't tell me which part # my governor is by the printed code they put on them identifing specs
speedo gears removed from 2 core transmissions bearing same model number as your transmission won't work in your transmission
There are better things to beat your head against
Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Rawson View Post
Turbo 400's work
Allison want's 400.00 for a new governor and can't tell me which part # my governor is by the printed code they put on them identifing specs
speedo gears removed from 2 core transmissions bearing same model number as your transmission won't work in your transmission
Wow, I can tell you've had a fun day. Do you know the origin of the Allison installed in your Moho? Was it done at Airstream or elsewhere? I assume from your post that you have been talking to an Allison help line or tech center. It doesn't surprise me that aren't much help on a one of a kind install in a 30 year old vehicle. I suggest you look for a vendor that does Allison rebuilds locally. You will have better luck finding somebody familiar with the older units. There are a bunch of Allisons on the road in older trucks and buses and many shops to service them while the manufacturer is more interested in selling and dealing with new units.

If you have any problem finding a shop send me a PM. Several years ago I used to deal with a couple of shops in Seattle that were very knowledgeable and helpful.

Good luck, Dan
Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Closer to you would be the shop that hot-rodded my Turbo trans. Great guy, lots of parts lying around. Wayne's Transmission, 4873 Valenty, Chubbuck, ID. # 208.237.1833. Chubbuck is just north of Pocatello. Say hello for me, he let us stay there while he re-built the trans.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Boise , Idaho
Thank's for the moral support Dan & Mike , im sure my Dad had this allison installed by a shop too close to the border when he lived in LA and its never been right . Old boy from a wrecking yard in eastern Idaho sent me a governor and speedo gear for $50.00 and told me alot about allisons , gave me some direction .
Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Keep at it Dean, once you get all the bugs worked out you should have a bullet proof set up. Unfortunately you have a one of a kind install so it's difficult finding help. You just have to be creative.

I have been fighting a vibration problem on my Moho and have been trying everything. I finally installed two trans mounts back to back and I think I solved the problem. It has been a two year battle involving visits to several very helpful shops. The bottom line is the coach is finally driving the way I think it should and the effort was well worth it. If nothing else I've learned an awful lot about the drive line an suspension on these Mohos.

Good luck, Dan
Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Turbo 400's work
My 'Silver Bullet' has an Allison 545. The OP had it installed. The trany was build by a 3rd party and the number mean nothing to Allison. Mine is in need of an over haul and I found the paperwork and called the shop that built it. You can not deal with the Allison people at all. Find a truck trany shop. I found one in Texas I'm going to take mine to when I get back home from this bicycle ride I'm doing on the west coast.
mel in Santa Monice living in a hostel tonight.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Well I'm home. Tried to find a Isuzu diesel to just do a transplant. Can find none! Seems the Mexico's (don't know which ones) are buying all they can find. I saw a lot of them (running) in California, but none in junk yards. What's the deal? Guess I'll pull my trany and get it rebuilt. May be it's time to do that engine overhaul and turn it into a 496 while the trany is out.
mel
Old 09-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Boise , Idaho
Mel, pick up a rolled dodge and go with the cummins , have some real torque , bring that tranny by and I'll rebuild it for the price of a kit ( 350.00 ) and and a 12 pack.
Dean
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Mel, pick up a rolled dodge and go with the cummins , have some real torque , bring that tranny by and I'll rebuild it for the price of a kit ( 350.00 ) and and a 12 pack.
Dean
Thanks for the offer Long way from here to there. Been checking around and seems like any and all Isuzu's end up going to Mexico before they stop rolling. But then, how may 6-packs is if from here to there.
Got to do some more checking. Going with a Cummins, I'd look for an 01-02 I think. Got to get my back working on first.
mel
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Thanks for the offer Long way from here to there. Been checking around and seems like any and all Isuzu's end up going to Mexico before they stop rolling. But then, how may 6-packs is if from here to there.
Got to do some more checking. Going with a Cummins, I'd look for an 01-02 I think. Got to get my back working on first.
mel
Mel, I didn't catch do you have an Isuzu in your coach now? If so is it hurt or are you planing for the future?

The Isuzu is a pretty tough engine and does reasonably well in the AS. The Cummins is a great engine but the changeover can get to be costly. If you stay with the Allison you might consider an early mechanical Cummins. The newer electronic engines want to talk to the trans and electronically connecting your trans to the Cummins computer can be a challenge. A transplant engine/trans package may be a better solution.

On the other hand doing an in-frame overhaul on your Isuzu will probably enable it to live longer than your coach and save you lots of bucks.

Just a few things to think about, Dan