Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I'm not sure which rubber sheet that I bought but this is the seller I bought from.

Rubber panel

Starting dimensions are always good!

I found some 'rubber dam' material in Okla City at a oil field supply house. Sold by weight and is dang heavy (and expensive) Used it to block the air behind the right headlight into a 2nd cooler I have in the transmission oil line and the fresh air inlet to the cabin vent. Thought I could get a picture of it while the radiator is out but can't get a angle on it to see.

choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #100
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
454 vortec 7.4 water in oil, trying to trace source

Google search came up with this site specific to 454 and this major problem.
We had MH ready to roll except for an oil change, on draining oil noticed color even while under MH, rusty and cloudy, cancelled trip.
Prior to this no indications, no smoke, no loss of coolant.
After discovery did see radiator overflow tank was down below min and had been slightly above max. Research came up with head gasket, intake manifold gasket failure and condensation.
Did the pressure test on cylinders and they all pressure test 160 with a couple up to 180 but all held steady, head gasket and too much water for condensation and the missing antifreeze.
From reading this forum, cooling radiator might be sharing with oil.
Too wet out right now to crawl around under MH to check the backside of radiator, to see if I have oil lines into it.

My question is: What tests can I do to isolate source and solve?
Physically getting to intake manifold gasket to see and replace requires a lot of effort, which I will do after I have exhausted all other possibilities.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #101
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Did pressure test on the radiator and it didn't pass! Isolated radiator from engine and it did. On doing google search 454 evidently is well known to mechanics for intake manifold gasket failure, I did see a small weep from the intake manifold gasket bolt next to the water pump. Upper intake manifold plenum gasket was good, when I got to the lower gasket I was amazed that the engine ran with deteriorated gasket. Plastic gasket held up 15 years, plastic was cracked, and split at the front and back of engine.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote