Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Now that is great news! Thanks Brad! As soon as we look at it, I'll tell you what they'll need.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Question Big time pressure to smog. Need advice!

OK, guys I've got some serious time pressure here and a puzzle for the wise folk of Airforums! I hope you have a moment to comment.

They've done a lot of work on my emissions system and they've managed to get the hydrocarbons down from 2000 to 203. It needs to be at 250 for the low speed test. It already passes the high speed test.

The CO readings pass the high speed test, too, but not the low speed. They say it needs to be a 1.5 and now it's at 2.76. They've improved these readings a lot too but whenever they make further adjustments, they send the hydrocarbons up above the allowable threshold.

According to them, there no vacuum leaks,
they've adjusted the carburetor,
the timing is set properly,
they've replace spark plugs and wires - and say it runs really great

They suspect that maybe something is leaking inside the carburetor,
but they're worried that a new one, if they can find one, would costs $600-700?
Years ago they would have overhauled carburetor, but they don't have anyone good at that any more. They have a retired 80-year old mechanic who used to do it, but, as my guy tactfully put it, "Now it's hard to keep him pointed in the right direction."

This a truck repair place that does not see a lot of these vehicles these days but they have experience with these chassis and engines.

I need to register the vehicle by tomorrow one way or another. I either succeed in smogging it and register it to operate and pay a much lower storage fee, or I register it as a non-op and pay through the nose for non-op storage for at least 4 months.

Any thoughts?!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Summit Racing advertises rebuilt quadrajets for $299, but finding the right carb in your area in one might be tough. Even if it costs twice that, at least it's not money wasted on DMV fees.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #74
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Sounds like you are making great progress!
Put it in Non-Op, and get a day "Permission to Move" pass when you move it to take it to back to be repaired or smog.
Around here, in Orange County, outside secure parking is about $150/month...

I suggest you look around for a Quadrajet Experience guy... and take/send yours and have it rebuilt.
The high HC or Hydocarbons are unburnt fuel, so the carb maybe dropping fuel internally..
Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Thanks Waipio, that's a great lead. And this might be the right solution but not the immediate solution. I will look into getting that part installed later. Maybe someone has some ideas for how to improve these readings? Or is too hard to second-guess what they're doing without more info? If so, is there more info I can get that would help?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
A few years back a buddy of mine had smog issues and these guys rebuilt his carb and he swore by them...
The have a 48hr service...
The Carb Shop Rebuild Repair Restore
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
OK, guys I've got some serious time pressure here and a puzzle for the wise folk of Airforums! I hope you have a moment to comment.

They've done a lot of work on my emissions system and they've managed to get the hydrocarbons down from 2000 to 203. It needs to be at 250 for the low speed test. It already passes the high speed test.

The CO readings pass the high speed test, too, but not the low speed. They say it needs to be a 1.5 and now it's at 2.76. They've improved these readings a lot too but whenever they make further adjustments, they send the hydrocarbons up above the allowable threshold.

According to them, there no vacuum leaks,
they've adjusted the carburetor,
the timing is set properly,
they've replace spark plugs and wires - and say it runs really great

They suspect that maybe something is leaking inside the carburetor,
but they're worried that a new one, if they can find one, would costs $600-700?
Years ago they would have overhauled carburetor, but they don't have anyone good at that any more. They have a retired 80-year old mechanic who used to do it, but, as my guy tactfully put it, "Now it's hard to keep him pointed in the right direction."

This a truck repair place that does not see a lot of these vehicles these days but they have experience with these chassis and engines.

I need to register the vehicle by tomorrow one way or another. I either succeed in smogging it and register it to operate and pay a much lower storage fee, or I register it as a non-op and pay through the nose for non-op storage for at least 4 months.

Any thoughts?!
Unfortunately I'm pretty much ignorant when it comes to emissions. It does sound like you found the pulley you needed which is good.

Makes me glad I've always lived places where smog testing doesn't take place.

Good luck and keep us posted as to what happens.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Hey Brad, it turns out I didn't need a pulley at all. There was only one pump and they said it looked like there had never been a second so as far as they were concerned they could pass it. Now, the fact that it's not smogging .... well, I think I'll just have to do the non-op and maybe try rebuilding or replacing the carburetor when I get back to the U.S.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Hey Brad, it turns out I didn't need a pulley at all. There was only one pump and they said it looked like there had never been a second so as far as they were concerned they could pass it. Now, the fact that it's not smogging .... well, I think I'll just have to do the non-op and maybe try rebuilding or replacing the carburetor when I get back to the U.S.
Waiting until you get back is probably your best choice. Sometimes when things get rushed that only makes it worse, been there done that!

Spend the next four months finding your best option for a new or rebuilt carburetor.

Enjoy your trip!

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I mi-stated in my previous post.
High HC at idle is related to lean mixture, if all other reading are passing...
On the Quadrajet, there are a couple of common air leak spots.
Base plate gasket leaks, and throttle shaft leaks...

Look here for good carb related smog info!
Recarbco - Carburetor Smog Diagnostic Chart
Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Question Retrofitting to meet *original* standards?

So it's been quite an odyssey with the emissions.

The truck mechanics did a lot of adjustments, the best they could, but still couldn't get it to meet Federal regulations for this particular coach according to the book, or so they told me. They weren't trying to meet modern CA requirements.

They told me that it felt to them like it was running really well - and it sounded pretty good to me. But first she stalled when I gave her more gas. They reset it. Then she stalled when I took my foot off the gas. Then they reset it and I was able to drive her for a half hour, no problem. But she would never smog at that setting.

(Meanwhile, more evidence of the significant disagreement from one DMV clerk to the next about even the most fundamental standards and requirements. The clerk today actually told me that the minute I drove an out-of-state vehicle into the state that fees were due! She could not be swayed by the argument that every day tourists drive their cars into the state from out state; were fees due from them too?

She also told me that I couldn't have a proposed Non-Op on the road outside waiting for vehicle verification because a non-op meant that it couldn't be operated and therefore shouldn't be on the road. Could this possibly be right? My understanding was that a non-op is a vehicle one chooses not to operate.

I won't go further into that here.)

I do feel a nasty conclusion looming which is that I'll have to do some retrofitting just to get the coach to meet the original standards. I could replace the carburetor, I could add a second smog pump which there is room for but no evidence of. Could I should I would I even add a catalytic converter? Is there even room anywhere for it? Or should I just go out back and shoot myself?

(Note a small degree of frustration here, partly due to the fact that the day before, my movers flipped the moving truck containing many of my belongings into the path of all traffic on route 128 in the rain - thank god no one was hurt - which completely ate up all the time I still had available to solve to motor home problems before I have to leave the country on Monday. I lost a lot of papers and keepsakes of no value to anyone but myself.)

So. Any thoughts on what the steps should be? The mechanic told me that he suspected that this coach barely met the standards originally and may have been modified to allow it to run better. But he could see no evidence of the second pump ever having been there, although he recognized it was common at the time. I'm thinking that I should buy one and ask them to add it? I'd really rather keep it in CA but Mexico is looking more appealing all the time.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Wow...
Sounds like its been a rough few days!
I have some thoughts but will do some research before I post....

Chin up!
Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
I didn't mean to give anyone homework, Keyair! But I am interested in anyone's thoughts wherever they come from (uh oh).