Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
[QUOTE=Denis4x4;1224042]I recently "de-smogged" a 1985 305 CID Chevrolet engine and determined that it was counterproductive as to performance and was costly to boot!

Good point. The 310 is tuned and runs fine, I am just a little jealous of some of the gas mileage figures that I have seen and afraid of the stories of smog pumps seizing up while on the road. But, I will move this one down on the list.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Steve,

In all of those books and manuals that you've collected do any of them have vacuum line routing and/or emissions information?

Even though we don't have emissions checks here in Kentucky I would still like to get the system configured similar to what it should have.

When we bought the 74 Argosy the original engine and all ancillary equipment were gone. I've been collecting parts and trying to piece things back together with minimal to no information to work from. It's been a challenge trying to find brackets and the correct hardware for mounting everything.

I do have the Chevy light truck service manual, Chevy owners manual, Chevy over hall manual, Chevy Motorhome Chassis parts manual and the Chevy wiring diagram manual but I can't find the vacuum information in any of those.

Heck, I'm not 100% sure how the heater hoses are connected. The 345 I dismantled didn't have all of the heater hoses hooked up so there wasn't much help there.

Little things like which thermostat housing is right and the correct part numbers for the radiator supports are still driving me nuts. Although I may have resolved the thermostat housing issue last night.

Brad

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Too funny Brad, and your timing is perfect!
I have a few of them and am collecting more!

Looking at the 1974 GM emissions...
Your motor was a 7.0l 427 Big Block, and the only boxes ticked are PCV, ACL, and SPK. There was no difference between Fed and CA.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Lets start with this one, and I will pull together others as we go..
BTW... these emissions lables/diagrams are called VECI.. Vehicle Emission Control Information...

Here is the 1984 FEDERAL VECI lables and how they equates to the carb, and vacuum diagram.
Please note, that you must have the correct carb for this to work.

These are the DDN VECI lables from Kempros's Federal 1983 310

These are the XFZ VECI lables on Surprise's Federal 1984 310.

After studying both, I felt they were the same.

For simplicity, I broke this down into seperate systems to make it easy to see and follow...

This is the AIR injection pump and control system.
It is mainly controled by the "TRC Solenoid Control Valve, which is the item on the top left. This controls the TRC(Throttle Return Control) vacuum pod on the drivers side front of carb. Its job is to hold open the carb butteryflys on coasting to reduce HC emissions.
Vacuum is taken from the drivers side forward vacuum nipple on the carb, is T'd to go to the AIR pump. The other side of the T goes to the TRC valve which is controlled by a relay that senses engine speed. The opening and closing of this valve controls the AIR pump engagement and the TRC vacuum pod.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Too funny Brad, and your timing is perfect!
I have a few of them and am collecting more!

Your motor was a 7.0l 427 Big Block, and the only boxes ticked are PCV, ACL, and SPK. There was no difference between Fed and CA.
I'd have to say that data is flawed. The two choices of motors for the Argosy was 350 small block or 454 big block. Mine came with the 454 originally, even says so on the side of the Argosy!

Actually none of the manuals I have mention the 427 in the Light Truck series 10 thru 30.

I know what PCV is but I'll have to do some research on the ACL and SPK.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
To finish the AIR sytem is the pump, pipes valves and injection pipes.
Note that the drivers side antibackfire valve on the exhaust manifold pipes is angled up and foward and the pass side is flat, to get the pipes in the correct postions.
The drivers side goes up and over to reach the AIR pump's diverter valve.

Next system, also fitted on the 1984 Federal 454, is the ACL or thermostatically controlled air cleaner, which is linked in with the EFE system.

Here is the underside of the aircleaner showing the pipe routing and connections.

And here is it flipped over with the connection to carb shown.
Note, that the aircleaner is connected to the front pass side vacuum nipple on the carb, and the rear pass side vacuum pod, called the rear vacuum break assembly.
The item off to the Fwd left is the coolant sensor called the TVS(Thermal Vacuum Switch), which is screwed into the Thermostat housing and controls the EFE valve on the drivers side exhaust manifold, via teh vacuum pipe which goes off to the left.

The TVS valves look something like this:

And the EFE valve looks something like this..
But note, that if you have the Banks Exhaust headers, this valve is moved way down onto teh end of the collector..
Old 11-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
The next system is the SPK or spark control system..

Vacuum feed is from the rear pass side vacuum nipple on the carb, and feeds the vacuum advance on the distributer, via another TVS mounted on the forward facing coolant port on the front edge of the intake manifold.
Note, that I have a simple 4 way connector in place for this picture, but I am under the impression that there should be a 4 way check/delay valve there, like this one.
Standard, DSV14.

Here is the pipework.
Pipe going directly to rear connects to Distributer Vacuum advance unit.

I have not shown the last system which is the PCV or Positive Crankcase Ventilation system.
The PCV valve is on the drivers side valve cover and the pipe from that goes into the center vacuum port on the front of the carb.
Simple.

I am still trying to work out a few concerns with the TVS valves...
There are several types. On the Federal 84 MH they are just 2 port units... but there are different temperature opening points.
The valves are painted different colors on the top to tell them apart... I have seen green, blue, and black and cannot find what is correct yet!

Also note the 84 Federal has no EGR, so that greatly simplifies the pipework!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
You are correct Brad!
I looked in the truck section, not the MH section!
MH section list a CA and Fed version.
Assuming you have the fed, the info I gave you is correct.
If its a CA spec, add AIR, EGR, and Evap to that list. Timing is listed as 8deg @ 700rpm with distributer vac advance disconnected and plugged.

I ave now posted an overview of the 84 fed emissions system, and it should go some way to explaining some of the system, but I bet your 74 is gonna be way more simple.

Will put up a photo of that page later for ya.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
My book tells me that in 1984, the CA Emissions spec had EGR and an Evap canister.

In 1985 this changed and both Fed and CA had EGR and Evap.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Here is a glossary of emission control equipment fitted to the pre 1991 454ci V8's, and what each is, and does. Keep in mind, most of these systems are simple. Most are driven and controled by temperature sensors, and engine vacuum.

ACL
Thermostatic controled air filter, also known as Thermac. The lower body and snorkle of the air filter has several devices to sense the temperature of the engine and the ambient air.

AIS or AIR
Air Injection System. Uses one or two air/smog pumps and pipework to inject air into the exhaust manifolds.

EFE
Early Fuel Evaporation System. Vacuum driven butterfly valve normally on the drivers side exhaust manifold used to speed engine warmup by redirecting hot exhaust gasses under the intake manifold.

EGR
Exhaust Gas Recirculation. A valve on the intake manifold that recirculates exhaust gas into the intake to lower emissions.

EVAP
Evaporative Emissions Control System. Normally a series of pipes and valves leading to canister filled with charcoal to absorb fuel vapors, and later allow the engine to draw in and burn them.

SPK
Spark Control System. Senses engine speed and temperature to adjust ignition timing and emissions equipment.

TVS
Thermostatic Vacuum Sensor. Vacuum valve that senses either air or coolant temperature to adjust or direct vacuum.
Duh, all I had to do is read Steve's earlier post in detail and I would have known what SPK and ACL meant
Old 11-06-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

Ok, so back to the specs for 1974. You're saying other than changing 427 to 454 the PCV, ACL and SPK apply to my 74 Argosy. That makes sense to me based on snippets of pictures I've seen in my various manuals.

I'm using an Edelbrock carburetor instead of a quadrajet so the vacuum port locations you mention don't necessarily apply. However looking through the Edelbrock information it appears there are sufficient ports to handle what I'm lookiong for.

I assume the ACL gets its vacuum from the direct vacuum port on the carburetor as does the vacuum advance of the distributor. The PCV goes to another port on the carburetor as well which should also be direct vacuum.

Does this sound about right?

I'm still a little fuzzy on the arrangement of the PCV so I need to look into that some more. A few pictures will go long ways towards resolving that.

Thanks,

Brad
Old 11-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I have the 1984 factory Service manual for the Chevy Light Truck 10/30 Series.
Here are the relevent pages for each system.

AIR system.

EFE system:

PCV system:

Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
ACL or Thermac system.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I think I've got the vacuum and PCV routing figured out. The Edelbrock carburetor has one 3/16" timed vacuum port, one 3/16" manifold vacuum port and one PCV vacuum port on the front of the carburetor. I will need to plug the timed vacuum port since this is not an emissions controlled vehicle. I will also have to plug the the 1/4" power brake vacuum port on the back of the carburetor.

The manifold vacuum port will feed the distributor vacuum advance, the ACL, i.e. the temperature controlled air cleaner and to a vacuum gauge on the dash should I decide to add one. The PCV connection is an easy one.

The cruise control is electronic so no need for vacuum there. I can't think of anything else that would require a vacuum connection. Is there any reason I should add a vacuum reservoir to the system? Right now I can't think of one.

Thanks for starting this thread. It got me to thinking about what I will need to do when I finally install the motor in the chassis.

1406_installation_manual_page2.pdf

Brad