Old 06-12-2004, 01:25 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
agree with Tim. I had this exact issue about a year ago. a/c would trip easily at the house, but I didn't think anything of it...extension cord too long/to under rated, right? well...yes, BUT then I started having a problem at a campground, plugged directly into 30 amp. then it started tripping just running on "fan only". I put my hand on the breaker box after the second re-set, and it was HOT!! removing the cover to the breaker box revealed toasted wires, and corroded bus bars. the corrosion caused too much resistance, which caused the heat build up, which caused the breaker to trip. (good thing, too. could have started a fire, but the safety device worked.). I wound up replacing the whole box, with the help of the guys here...couldn't find a replacement bus-bar for the 30 year old panel, but the electric supply house found a current equivalent from the parts numbers on the old one. I'll find the thread and post a link.

anyway...now it runs fine on 50' of 12-3 extension cable. that's key: gotta be 12g or better. most of those long orange extensions are real flimsy (14 or 16 guage), and have too much resistance at that length.

Here: I found the thread: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=5264

pictures of my fried electrical panel.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 02:32 PM   #16
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Tim ~
Previously, I did just as you suggest. It's the 30amp breaker for the AC. Nothing else is on that circuit. With the AC off there shouldn't be a draw of power but it still trips. The RV shop said they tested it at their facility and it worked fine. I have no reason to believe otherwise. I'm wondering if a wire connection might have loosened on the trip home. I'll make a thorough investigation of the installed AC wiring and take it from there. Thanks for the pointers.

FF

BTW: I don't think I have anything else but 15 amp circuits at my residence. I'll need to get that fixed too. Happy, happy. Joy, joy...

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Brad

Take all your light bulbs out - no kidding - one may be shorted.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 10:43 PM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
brad

you need to be methodical to find your problem, test every component of the system one at a time with a volt/ohm meter.

start at the cord with the breakers open, look for shorts. then move to the panel, then the wires to the ac.

don't assume anything is ok unless you check it first, including the extention cord you are using. i have seen them ruined just by getting run over and forcing rocks thru the insulation.

keep us posted, perhaps on a new thread.

john

on edit, i reread your post brad, i see you have narrowed it to the ac circuit, pull the cover inside and see if a wire nut fell off!
Old 06-13-2004, 07:38 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Try a new breaker if the one tripping is old. If trips then you should be able to get access to the air connections under the inside cover. Disconnect the line side with the power OFF , like not plugged into the service . Put the wire nut back on both leads. Turn on power. If it trips with the new breaker Disconnect the power again, unplug from service , this stuff can kill you first time out . Disconnect the Air leads in the panel, cap them, don't just move them out of the way . Turn power on, should not trip, if it does your wire to air as shorted. You could also run a piece of 12/3 from the panel to the air and test the system without using the internal wiring. My money is on the 1959 wires in your walls being shorted. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:30 AM   #20
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Paul~
My money would be on those old wires too if they weren't recently put in by yours truly. I did put in 12/3 and tested them before the AC was installed but, of course, not under load. I do have an extra 30 amp Bulldag breaker to replace the one in question. I'm going to start at the connections to the AC and work back to the box. I'll let you all know.

I'm also curious what the shop did with the original 2 wires to the vent fan. I hope they capped them up tight because there's still power going to them.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:12 PM   #21
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I found the problem. When the shop put on the inside AC cover, one of the screws went into the feed wire and caused a short. I found this out after unhooking the wires at the breaker and wiring it directly to an extension cord. Of course it worked and I figured it was the breaker. I took out the breaker and tested it and it seemed to be fine so I put it all back in and it worked this time. I was fiddling around with the wires up in the AC and must have moved them away from the screw that was causing the problem. When I was putting it all back together I noticed the broken insulation at the place where the screw went back in. I rerouted the wire and problem solved.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:23 PM   #22
Site Team

, Minnesota
. . . .so much for "they tested it at their facility and it worked fine."
Old 06-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
. . . .so much for "they tested it at their facility and it worked fine."
Really. And pride in workmanship.

John
Old 06-13-2004, 04:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
camping world ac installs

i could have the acs installed by camping world. if you want drip pans you have to provide them. the only drip pans you can get is for the duo therm penquin. so your choice is limited. if you insist they will install without a pan but you will have the drip over the side. but you can get any brand they sell, if you dont mine the streak, you will soon have down the side of the airstream. and they charge what ever they advertise. last month it was $35.
i hear they dont do airstreams but they always ask when i want it done?? think you need to ask.. the only time i had a problem was with the coleman acs and the drip problem, their response was you provide a pan and we will do it.
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Your karma must have done a dramatic reversal. That's a double fluke, one to cause the problem and then another finding it. Kind of thing that could drive you crazy.
When you put in the new wire was the inside skin off? If not how did you run it?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
drip pans

Another way to avoid water running down the side of the trailer if you don't have the drain line already in the tailer wall is to plug all but one of the holes in bottom of the AC tray, take a drain tube from the remaining hole and snake it thru your sink vent pipe. It will drain down and out with the gray water. I drilled a hole in the side of my vent cover to accept the tubing and will possible add on rivet on a aluminum bracket to hold down the tubing. One of my fellow club members gave me the idea.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:26 PM   #27
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Hi Paul,
No, the inside skin was still on. I ran the 12/3 wire up the inside wall of the closet and over through the wood bulkhead into the cabinet above the sink. From there I went inside the skins, with the use of a coat hanger and up to the vent opening. My breaker panel is on the streetside in the pantry, which used to be a wardrobe closet. If you do this, be sure to use grommets at all skin entry points for the wires. This took appr. 45 minutes a couple of months ago.

FF

P.S.: Karma, what karma?

I'm haunted by aluminum.