Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Red face Gotta Start some where

Not sure how many threads there are on this, so here goes. Recently acquired a 77 Argosy 20, P30 Chassis, Front Suspension Airbags are in need of replacement. Installation does not look to be too tough, is there a good source for the replacement bags?

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:25 PM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Got them at Camping World a few years ago. You can actually take a pliers, grip the bottoms and virtually unscrew the old ones out of the springs. You can then collapse the new ones and (more carefully) screw them back into the spring. I also bought the extenders so that I can check the air or refill with air from the front bumper.
It isn't easy but can be done.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I took my 84 310 Limited to the people who make the super steer bell cranks. The said the ride height was all wrong and that I very little suspension travel. They recommended removing the air bags and replacing the springs with springs sized to the actual weight on the front wheels. I already have bilstein shocks. They weighed each corner and sized the springs accordingly. The rig now sits level (once the rear airs up) and rides much better with no bottoming.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:58 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Oh! Dear…..

You have put me in a quandary now. I have just bought and received two new airbags (GM#15631881) from our UK supplier, so I can fit these to stop the bottoming out.

When it bags - it bangs! We do have large potholes here.

The Airbags at present are non-existent; some threads of material hang in the springs!

None of the PO's have commented on replaced springs or bags so I have assumed it is all original (43000 miles) and gone for bag replacement.

Interestingly I too have thought of the bell cranks, as for me at any rate, the steering is very slack despite all components appearing OK. There is a little shift in the bell cranks (we call them steering idlers) so I am going to start there.

Any feedback on these bell crank replacements would be appreciated.

Chuck
Dorset UK
Old 03-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
with my front air bags at 50-55lbs inflation our ride is quite smooth. The rear bags now up also contribute to the ride quality. I get a little rattle form stored items like the pots and pans, but only over tough potholes or ruts. On the road it is a pleasant ride.

Do a search here for airbag install as you will get some good tips on making that job easier to manage.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Chuck,
Is it the front or rear suspension which is bottoming? With my MH (which had more then 44000 miles) the front suspension had very litle travel even when the front air bags were fully inflated. My front suspension could not be corrected without replacing the front springs. I imagine that there is a measurement you can do with the front bags deflated to evaluate the status of your front springs.

These guys are experst on the p-30 chassis and can answer questions for you. If you can't/don't want to call them yourself I could call them for you next week.

Your local UK GM supplier may also be able to give you the proper measurements.

My situation may be different since I did a remodel and added some fairly heavy sound insulation and flooring which put me very close to the max weight rating.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 03-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Hastings , Minnesota
Air Bags

Nick, All of these posts are about the P-30. The 370LE is a Gillig,nothing like any of the GM's. You only have air bags and no springs. I can get new bags from any Kenworth truck dealer. You can buy or have them installed there. Do not get them from Airstream of Gillig unless you have found a pot of gold somewhere.

Good luck,

Pat370
Old 03-08-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Oops, I left the link out of my previous post.

http://www.hendersonslineup.com/

Old 03-08-2006, 11:27 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Chuck,
Is it the front or rear suspension which is bottoming? With my MH (which had more then 44000 miles) the front suspension had very litle travel even when the front air bags were fully inflated. My front suspension could not be corrected without replacing the front springs. I imagine that there is a measurement you can do with the front bags deflated to evaluate the status of your front springs.

These guys are experst on the p-30 chassis and can answer questions for you. If you can't/don't want to call them yourself I could call them for you next week.

Your local UK GM supplier may also be able to give you the proper measurements.

My situation may be different since I did a remodel and added some fairly heavy sound insulation and flooring which put me very close to the max weight rating.
It is certainly the fronts, inparticular the drivers side (no comments about the heavy driver - thank-you!) thats where the pot-holes are........

I take your point about heights & dimensions, I have seen them somewhere, but I will ask my local lads (albeit they are about 200 miles away!) Perhaps your chaps can throw their oar in; all knowledge is usefull.

There has been a make-over by the PO in that there is new carpet and some sound proofing but not, I think, excessive. Bearing in mind that as yet she is not fully loaded, there is nothing in the trays under the sofa. only the tool chest is full and thats on the other side behind the door. The rear airs are up. They weren't when i bought it but I managed to get the compressor working. now whether thats thrown some weight forward?......
Old 03-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
For ours the area that needed some sound deadening, was the "dog house" engine cover and the floor around the driver and passenger seat. I recently did both and it made a nice difference in the sound level.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
AlanSD, I saw your cockpit/doghouse make over in one of the other threads, very nice indeed. I am hoping to do something similar but need to replace the front passenger side AC trim and find the side mouldings as these are missing. (Later type dash with all the lights in a row!)

I gather there are some bolts that hold the doghouse down. I cannot find these probably buried under carpet/underlay. I want to remove the doghouse to attend to engine "front-end-bits-n-pieces". Do you know where about I start looking? Along the bottom, edges or across the top?

Hope you or any one can help.

Weather permitting I will be fitting the front air bags this weekend. Will the height gained with he front levelling jacks be sufficient to thread the bag into the spring? – I will use support jacks as well-

Chuck
Dorset UK
Old 03-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #26
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I replaced the front bags on our MoHo a couple of years ago. It made a huge difference in ride quality. Removing the old bags is much easier if you use a steak knife to cut the old bag in a spiral around the spring, then basically "screw it" out of the bottom. (This was 87MH's suggestion and made the project much easier). Lots of pulling is required, but all in all I think I replaced both bags on a single Saturday afternoon.

Replacement bags came from Camping World. I also ran an extension on the hoses up into the cab under the dash. I keep a small 12V air compressor onboard and I can fill them without ever leaving my seat.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Cool Shocks

I found my front shocks to be OEM, so with 84k on them I replaced them all around, the rears were not originals, but a Midas shock. The change has been dramatic in the ride. Plenty of old back roads here and this time of year, quite rough. The air bags that are (were) there are completely rotted trough. only a few pieces remain in the spring. I think I am going to hold off for now. Disassembling the A-Frame is not a favorite past time of mine. And with the new shock not certain I need them at all on a 20' Coach. (?)
I also found the Steering Damper (shock) to be OEM, hydraulic and leaking. The only challenge to get this off was the lower portion of the bolt was a taper fit. It took some tome to break the taper free, as there was no room to give it a good rap. The replacement does not have a taper mounting bolt, so I need to modify it to fit the arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	19551   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0153.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	19552  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0156.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	19553  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #28
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
balrgn,
Good news...you don't need to take apart the A frame to install bags. The old bags come out the hole in the lower control arm...and believe it or not, with enough dish soap, the new ones slide up through the same hole.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote