Old 02-22-2018, 07:12 AM   #1

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
wisconsin dells , Wisconsin
Air ride for interstate

I have a 2014 interstate ext that I am looking to put in air ride shocks. Does anyone know where to get them, if you even can? Approx costs? Is it worth it? I live in central Wisconsin.
Thanks
Mark

cruiser65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Not sure exactly what you are after. If you want an air ride, you need to look or full air suspension kits. VB-Air is one source, but $$$$$ and only upfitter I am aware of for retrofit is Advanced RV just north of Cleveland Ohio. This is the system Airstream now offers too. Another manufacturer is Glide-Rite, but again installers are hard to find. Glide-Rite kit is ~$5k. Others may chime in here with more information.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
There are no air ride shocks for a 3500 Sprinter in USA market as far as I know. There are a few air spring add on kits available. One is the Boss air bag kit from Australia that is sold from a distributor in Canada. A forum member that tried them was not happy with the setup. There are several air bag auxiliary spring systems widely used in Europe, but not distributed in USA. I installed one of them from Dunlop that I bought from a seller in the UK. That kit included a large frame reinforcement channel that solves the risk of damaging the unibody frame on your Sprinter. I think frame damage is why AirRide and Firestone stopped selling airbag kits for Sprinters in USA. Details of my installation are in the B-van sub forum. I’m not able to search for it at the moment. But if you search on term “Dunlop” you should be able to find it. It did require a mod to the generator mounts to get the frame reinforcement channels installed. I got the air bag kit and an AirRide compressor for less than $1,000 and installed it myself. It did not help the ride quality much, but gave me the ability to adjust the height of the rear end, which was my main goal. Good luck.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I recommend that you talk to Jeff with Utility Bodywerks (Elkhart, Indiana), 574-522-8422.

I talked to him in October of 2017 regarding our T1N 2500 Sprinter. He was very helpful but had no product that could be fit to our older vehicle. I don't know what they offer for the 3500s.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I just spend 10 days in Germany to take care of my Mother. I contacted several tuning companies which over full air suspension as well as air support and hydraulic as well as electric levelers for the Sprinter mostly for the 2500 and lots for the TN1.
As a native German speaker I made some good contacts and may be able to import as well as install the systems.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
^^ THIS is very interesting. To our knowledge, nobody has put air suspension on a T1N Interstate, partly because of their age, and perhaps because of the upfit issues.

See, the propane tank is very near where some of this equipment would need to go. VERY near. We still have to ascertain whether any system would have sufficient clearance. We are working on that right now.

If the answer is "not in its present state", then I don't know where to go from there. The propane tank really cannot be moved. There isn't a good alternate placement for it, and once we get into that magnitude of work, we might as well just build a whole new van from scratch.

Anyway, more info pending, I hope.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
https://www.nachruest-luftfederung.d...jahr-1995-2006
looks like search in the US works different sides then in Germany could not find the same I found in Germany. I is the one above for the older Sprinter I mainly was looking for my 2013 AS-IS.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #8

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
wisconsin dells , Wisconsin
Thanks for all the help!

cruiser65 is offline   Reply With Quote