Old 01-09-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I think a GV overdrive would be a sound investment given your rig's current setup (read school bus gearing). Replacing the hoses is absolutely a good idea.

The headers are nice but a well running, tuned, stock engine is a beautiful thing. My headers made sense only because upgrading was less expensive the replacing the original failing exhaust system - and the bolted on out of the box.

It's always a cash balance on these things. So many things I want to do tempered only by limited time and money. I figure if I hold onto mine as long as I would like then I'll eventually get there, and we can enjoy it along the way.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
I think a GV overdrive would be a sound investment given your rig's current setup (read school bus gearing). Replacing the hoses is absolutely a good idea.

The headers are nice but a well running, tuned, stock engine is a beautiful thing. My headers made sense only because upgrading was less expensive the replacing the original failing exhaust system - and the bolted on out of the box.

It's always a cash balance on these things. So many things I want to do tempered only by limited time and money. I figure if I hold onto mine as long as I would like then I'll eventually get there, and we can enjoy it along the way.
Steve,

Thanks. I couldn't agree more. By the way, today I went to DMV and my insurance company. The 370LE is LEGALLY MINE!!!!

Tim

Old 01-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Tim, the less crap is in the engine compartment, the more room there is for unobstructed ventilation.The less stuff being turned by the engine, the better. If you get all the hoses and stuff out of there, and take the pumps and belt off, you should:
1- be able to work more easily in the engine compartment.
2- get slightly better fuel economy.
3-get more cooling air around the engine.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Tim, the less crap is in the engine compartment, the more room there is for unobstructed ventilation.The less stuff being turned by the engine, the better. If you get all the hoses and stuff out of there, and take the pumps and belt off, you should:
1- be able to work more easily in the engine compartment.
2- get slightly better fuel economy.
3-get more cooling air around the engine.
My only serious concern is that there are 4 tubes on each side that appear to screw into the manifold. I assume I have to plug those with small bolts the size of the fittings on the tubes? Any ideas about that. The rest of the smog pump stuff looks pretty straight forward concerning removal.

Tim
Old 01-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #19
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Quote:
I assume I have to plug those with small bolts the size of the fittings on the tubes?
You are correct. This is where my header replacement began. I thought I might be able to remove the fittings and tubs and screw in plugs. But those bad boys where RUSTED!

You might be able to get away with leaving the control valves to keep the exhaust in check.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
You are correct. This is where my header replacement began. I thought I might be able to remove the fittings and tubs and screw in plugs. But those bad boys where RUSTED!

You might be able to get away with leaving the control valves to keep the exhaust in check.
Steven,

I just got in from replacing air filter, fuel filters, pcv valve, carb/air cleaner gasket, air cleaner, improvising a missing gasket for the carb fuel filter (fiber washer kit from the hardware store), and then replacing all the water hoses back to where they split to go to the auxiliary heater . Looks like all my hoses were original (17 years old), but in amazingly good condition. I still feel better having all new hoses, even if I did cut my hands to pieces and contort my arms and shoulders out of joint . I also added shut-offs to both the out and return side of the coolant hoses at the engine. Now I can cut off all hot water to both heaters in the summer, and I'll have an emergency cut-off abililty should I spring a leak in any of those many hoses or the heaters . I'll tackle the hoses going to the auxiliary tomorrow or Friday if I can still move. Anyway, I was looking over the amazing complexity of the smog pump life support , and after just reading your experience with rusted fittings, I think I may just take the belt off the pumps. The Ford engine is designed with a single belt that does nothing but drive the two smog pumps. I figure it can't hurt much to take it off. Should free up a little resistance on the engine, and I can always put the belt back on if something screws up. Trying to remove the whole system looks like major surgery to me. I can't afford new exhaust manifolds now, and it looks like everything else sort of goes to or comes from those tubes. Any advice? What do you mean by "leaving the control valves"? Does that mean a partial removal of the smog equipment, or just leaving the whole mess there except for disconnecting the pumps?

Thanks for your interest and help.

Best,

Tim
Old 01-15-2006, 07:05 PM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiva
What do you mean by "leaving the control valves"? Does that mean a partial removal of the smog equipment, or just leaving the whole mess there except for disconnecting the pumps?

Thanks for your interest and help.

Best,

Tim
Tim, if you look at where the rubber hoses hook to the metal tubes over the manifolds, there is a largish valve-looking thing, one for each manifold. This is called an "air pump check valve". These are the "control valves" that he is talking about.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Chesapeake , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Tim, if you look at where the rubber hoses hook to the metal tubes over the manifolds, there is a largish valve-looking thing, one for each manifold. This is called an "air pump check valve". These are the "control valves" that he is talking about.

Terry,

Thanks. At least I know what I'm looking for now. I'm planning to get on this later this week if all goes well with finishing up the hose work on the auxiliary heater. I appreciate your clarifying this.

Tim