Old 01-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #15
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Hey guys
In replacing water pumps and fan clutches my experience has been better using NEW
OEM parts rather than rebuilt units. Be sure and replace the Bypass hose and if in doubt upper & lower radiator hoses too. Don't forget heater hoses and Aux heater hoses too. Replace coolant every 2 years and you won't have to replace as many water pumps. Last but not least don' t forget to replace the pressure cap with the correct PSI. My unit had a 12 psi cap on it when I got it, but the shop manual calls for a 16 PSI cap. After replacing it, my unit no longer has a tendency to overheat.
KMP

Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Arvada , Colorado
The reason GM developed Dex Coolant is Green coolant PH changed after 1 year from a Negative to a Positive and in turn caused failures of everything in contact with the coolant, You can flush the system and install Dex but I have seen problems occur later with random failures. All I ever have been able to pin it to is the flush never removes residue from the green silicate based coolant and the Dex coolant. Dex is a great coolant for remaining a neutral acidic fluid but I would say stay with green if the coach came with, Just pour in a gallon of premix every year forcing out a gallon of old and you will eliminate the corrosion failures. Just food for thought Steve

Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g
Folks, I am wondering why no one has tried removing the clutch and fan, and replace with a pair of electric, thermostatically and A/C clutch controlled fans.

I hven't done any research on MOHOs specifically, but there are many applications for various big block street rods, race cars, muscle cars, 4 wheelers, etc. I know there are some load differences and cooling system diffrences, but it might be worth a few phone calls to the various aftermarket manufacturers.

Electric fans greatly reduce noise and help improve fuel economy (albeit, slightly).
Not sure with a 454, but I spent a lot of time researching that topic for my 6.5L diesel truck. The 6.5 already had cooling issues in the early models under heavy towing loads. When several people tried upgrading to electric fans, the problems worsened. Eventually, the belt driven plastic fan from the early Duramax turned out to be a far superior setup.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
Not sure with a 454, but I spent a lot of time researching that topic for my 6.5L diesel truck. The 6.5 already had cooling issues in the early models under heavy towing loads. When several people tried upgrading to electric fans, the problems worsened. Eventually, the belt driven plastic fan from the early Duramax turned out to be a far superior setup.
Not the same animal at all. Those issues were unique to 6.5s. I have discussed with several co-workers and we're all scratching our heads as to why no one is considering this upgrade in MHs. A lot of options out there for big blocks. I'd start with Summit Racing.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #19
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
The OEM fan on 454s is the way to go. The fan clutch is thermostatically controlled by the sensor in the center of the fan clutch. If the sensor is not present, get the more expensive fan clutch with the sensor. In addition, I have my electric fans that formerly came on when the a/c was on wired to a switch so I can turn them on when pulling grades etc. Cooling a 454 is at best marginal in an AS Moho, but clean radiator and cooling system helps along with the aforementioned stuff. Don't forget to test your pressure cap on the system. My unit had a 12 psi cap on it when I got it, and the manual calls for a 16 psi cap. That alone makes a 12 degree difference in the boiling point. I also have a 50/50 mixture of prestone II and water in the system, I have heard that aftermarket parts offers a HO water pump, but I would have to check before recommending it.
KMP