Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Just wanted to add that the OEM gauges fitted by Airstream are in fact made by Teleflex...
Thanks to Mel for pointing that out in his engine rebuilding thread!
They were made for boats mainly I think, and pop up on Ebay regularly.
Dang! You just solved the gauge problem on my Argosy!

I like the style of the 345 gaugesand always wondered who made them for the 310 and 345 but never really took the time to track them down. After you posted the Teleflex name yesterday I went to ebay and found a bunch of Teleflex gauges. Since the Argosy is sort of low budget I decided to buy this Sea Ray dash with Teleflex gauges and use the gauges in the Argosy with a new custom dash face that I want to make.

Click image for larger version

Name:	teleflex-sea-ray-dash.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	177183

While searching for Teleflex I also decided to buy a new speedometer that was listed. I made an offer of $25 and he accepted including free shipping.

Name:	teleflex-new-speedo.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	438.8 KB
ID:	177182

I salvaged the vacuum and air ride suspension gauges from the 345 so I should have everything I need. Although I may add a temperature gauge for the transmission as well.

Thanks!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Gauges

Two optional gauges that are very handy for those critical of mileage are an "altimeter" and an "air speed indicator".

The purpose of the altimeter is to let you know if your in even a slight "climb", so that you don't feed more gas unnecessarily. Also, what altitude your at, so that you know when to expect less engine performance.

The purpose of the "air speed" indicator is to let you quickly know if you have a head wind, or a tail wind.

Worked great for me for several years.

Andy

Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I had been puzzled by who made them too Brad, but I cannot take credit for that little nugget... it was Mel(Choctawmel) in his pully that 454 thread who mentioned it.
Good work Mel!!!
Like you, I got straight into Ebay and found a bunch of stuff.
Dont think that speedo is gonna work tho!
I scored last year with the Trans temp gauge, which is a matching Teleflex unit! I did not know it was teleflex at the time!

I was chatting to Derek who also commented aboiut the poor visibility of the stock gauges...
There are a couple of issues...
1/ the gauges are set back behind a perspex panel... this shades them from natural light... they need to be backlit in daylight really.
2/ The perspex panel on mine at least is a little foggy with age and fine scraches.
3/ Still dim at night... I bet the bulbs are way old and past their best... LED upgrade needed!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I had been puzzled by who made them too Brad, but I cannot take credit for that little nugget... it was Mel(Choctawmel) in his pully that 454 thread who mentioned it.
Good work Mel!!!
That's right you mentioned that in your original post. Thanks Mel!!

Quote:
Like you, I got straight into Ebay and found a bunch of stuff.
So what else did you get?

Quote:
Dont think that speedo is gonna work tho!
Why, different style? Or ratio issue? I couldn't tell for certain if it matches the 345 gauges, looks close. I figured for $25 it was worth the gamble.

If you think it's a ratio issue I'm figure the same thing. My diff is 4:10 and the 310/345 I believe are 4:56. I figured no matter what I would need a ratio changer to make it work right.

Quote:
I scored last year with the Trans temp gauge, which is a matching Teleflex unit! I did not know it was teleflex at the time!
Looks good

The speedometer seller has a 160-300 temp gauge that I'm thinking of getting for the transmission temp. I tmay not say "Trans" like yours but should work. Assuming I can find the right sender for it that is.

Quote:
I was chatting to Derek who also commented aboiut the poor visibility of the stock gauges...
There are a couple of issues...
1/ the gauges are set back behind a perspex panel... this shades them from natural light... they need to be backlit in daylight really.
2/ The perspex panel on mine at least is a little foggy with age and fine scraches.
3/ Still dim at night... I bet the bulbs are way old and past their best... LED upgrade needed!
Agreed on all of the above. That extra layer of clear perspex just sucks as far as I'm concerned. Not sure what Airstream was thinking when they did that.

Now to find a sheet of aluminum so I can start making the dash plate!

Brad
Old 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Brad, as far as I remember... and my memory of boats is sketchy to say the least... they generally work on a pitot tube with water pressure being the way it reads.

I too have a new dash in my master plan... and already snagged my facing, but there will be aluminum in there as a highlight..

If you squint, you Gotta LOVE the dogs face with its tongue out, in the lower rh 4 pieces of the burl!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad, as far as I remember... and my memory of boats is sketchy to say the least... they generally work on a pitot tube with water pressure being the way it reads.
I thought that as well until I looked at the back of the speedometer and saw that it had a cable input just like the one on the 345. I think all I have to worry about is a ratio change.

Name:	teleflex-new-speedo-back.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	353.3 KB
ID:	177224

The other reason I wanted a new speedometer is the one that came from the Sea Ray only goes up to 65 mph. That might be ok for one of the Isuzu diesel motorhomes but I plan on driving a little faster than that

Quote:
I too have a new dash in my master plan... and already snagged my facing, but there will be aluminum in there as a highlight..
Looks awfully big to me, are you planning on covering the entire dash with the veneer?

Quote:
If you squint, you Gotta LOVE the dogs face with its tongue out, in the lower rh 4 pieces of the burl!
Hmm, are you feeling all right today?

Brad
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
It was 16 consecutive slices of the Burl... silly not to buy it all.
I was thinking to just make sure I had enough for everything..

Am I feeling ok?

My mental stability is not in question I thought....
Now, if I had MORE than one Airstream, it might be....
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
It was 16 consecutive slices of the Burl... silly not to buy it all.
I was thinking to just make sure I had enough for everything..
You definitely have enough for the dash with a little left over

Quote:
Am I feeling ok?

My mental stability is not in question I thought....
Now, if I had MORE than one Airstream, it might be....
I guess if the shoe fits, I am rather guilty of having more than one...

Brad
(guilty of a lot of things, being sane is not necessarily one of them!)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Brad
(guilty of a lot of things, being sane is not necessarily one of them!)
Gosh Brad,

I know some might think you half crazy, but I've always though of you as half sane.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Gosh Brad,

I know some might think you half crazy, but I've always though of you as half sane.
It's all relative, and I doubt to many people would want to be related to me

Brad
Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Steve, it looks like you bought a complete kit for the trans oil temp gauge. Is there any information in that package that indicates what the sender part # is?

Thanks!

Brad
Old 01-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I got lucky I think, but I have no idea about the sender unit.
The gauge was used I think based on the oil on the sender. I will take another look at the paperwork and see if I see anything.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Maybe check the sender itself for any markings?

I found a gauge last night that said "oil" temp and its 160-320 like your trans temp gauge. I'm assuming the sender would be the same.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Since we're on the subject of gauges I thought I would share what I found on the 345 dash assembly. As I was removing it from the 345 months ago I noticed that the speedometer was loose in the dash just like the one is on our 310. I thought that was sort of odd at the time but never looked into it. Well last night I was removing some parts from the 345 dash and found out why it was loose. Airstream glued the gauge in place with some sort of "hot melt" and it had dried and busted. I'm assuming the 310 is suffering from the same problem.

At least now I know why it's loose which should make fixing it not to difficult. The tachometer is mounted the same way. I'm guessing the speedometer is the one that breaks loose because of the cable connected to the back and as the dash is unscrewed and pulled away from the dash housing it breaks loose.

Also, the speedometer and tachometer have "sun glare shrouds" on them. It is the sun glare shroud that is glued in place. The gauge itself can be removed without removing the shroud. So if you have a similar problem you would probably want to remove the gauge, glue the shroud back in place and then re-install the gauge.

Hope this helps.

Brad