Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Make sure you leave room to look out the windshield.
Why??

I got two GPS's and cruise control.

Ain't that enough??

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Key,

Here they all are, (during and after) WITH PHOTOS! Charly.

Tach
Speedo
Trans Temp
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Volts
Fuel
Boost
Pyrometer
Front Air
Rear Air
Clock (AIR-TIME)
Navigation and Back-up camera in Radio (yet to be installed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0017.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	859.2 KB
ID:	140070   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0019.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	849.6 KB
ID:	140071  

streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 AM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Wow, looks cool! If nothing else, they will give you something to look at when the road gets boring.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
As I have said before Charly, that is STUNNING, and your whole build is an inspiration!

As your is a Turbo diesel, you have some things I wont need until I drop my 6BT in.

Would you believe my 22 year old called me yesterday with an update on his project... and that spawned another important gauge!

He just put an Innovate Air/Fuel Meter in his Mercedes 300e in preparation for his Turbo Conversion...
I like this one;
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php
Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Key, Obviously the apple hasn't fallen far from the tree. Charly.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Thumbs up Wow!

Absolutely awesome dash! Completely cool! I'd love to see what it looks like when you get the GPS/Radio installed. The clock by the way is perfect. Can't quite call it a man-cave, maybe a man-cockpit?

Have fun using it in on the road.

Cheers,
GinMame
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Did you label them all? I know I would have to, just wondering how, if you did...?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamquest View Post
Key,

Here they all are, (during and after) WITH PHOTOS! Charly.

Tach
Speedo
Trans Temp
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Volts
Fuel
Boost
Pyrometer
Front Air
Rear Air
Clock (AIR-TIME)
Navigation and Back-up camera in Radio (yet to be installed)
Hi,
Am I wrong, or am I noticing that you've moved the transmission selector over to the left side of the steering wheel? Another question, the 'bullet' type A/C vents, are a bit smaller than what is originally on the A/S motorhome dash, are these too small? Haven't really driven my 'new' '89 much down the road, so really don't know if the dash A/C is sufficient to cool the cab area or not.
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw

Hi,
Am I wrong, or am I noticing that you've moved the transmission selector over to the left side of the steering wheel? Another question, the 'bullet' type A/C vents, are a bit smaller than what is originally on the A/S motorhome dash, are these too small? Haven't really driven my 'new' '89 much down the road, so really don't know if the dash A/C is sufficient to cool the cab area or not.
Thanks, Derek
I'll give you my perspective from the last three trips I did down the mountain and into and through Redding CA. This may be extreme conditions...average of 105 degrees and low humidity. My answer to if the dash air is adequate in these conditions is "barely". I'm actually surprised that my dash air works as well as it does after so many years. My a/c gets cold almost immediately after starting engine...my two autos don't even do that. I just think in such high heat and with all that glass up front, the MH dash air barely holds it's own. The air is cold but just not enough for such a large space. What really does help is to have the GenSet running and the roof air.

I would bet that in 80 to 90 degree temps the dash air would do a fine job.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
Hi,
Thanks, Derek
Hi Derek,

My coach has a Cummins 5.9 turbo diesel up front, with an Allison transmission behind it. That is the reason for the different shifter set up. I believe that this combination was a pretty pricey option back in 1989 (maybe $10-12k), so not too many were ever produced this way. I've only heard of one other, but this power train was the main factor in my decision to buy this particular moho.

I'm rebuilding my rig with a separate forward "cockpit". The front compartment will be walled off and accessed through a sliding pocket door in that wall. I'm confident that the dash A/C will be up to the task of adequately cooling that reduced volume of space. Also, the thought of running a generator while I'm driving makes me crazy. The dash air outlets are supplied by the very same flexible hoses that were there originally, and the aluminum vents don't cause any additional restriction. I think it will all work just fine.

Charly.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #31
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Transmission temperate gauge. I didn't lie, both time it went to 300 degrees, I needed a transmission.
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Transmission temperate gauge. I didn't lie, both time it went to 300 degrees, I needed a transmission.
Mine looked like it was stuck at 200 until I added a towed vehicle, then it moved up, I was told not to let it go over 250, your temp results verify that, now I will watch it more often. Here would be a case of needing a light or sound to warn.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Seems I got it wrong...
There is no Rear suspension Air Pressure Gauge fitted to my 345.

Having spent some time sitting in the drivers seat and figuring out the best placement of everything. My current plan, based on Ergonomics, and importance is this:

Add mounts or a pods for 2" Gauges for Transmission Temp, Engine Oil Temperature, Air/Fuel ratio, etc to lower part of AA-Pillar. This will keep them very Visible, yet not restrict the forward or side vision or mirrors.

Move switches for Aux Fuel Pump, Driving lamps, Horn Control etc to this vacant upswept section of the Drivers door trim.
I found some really cool and classy Push-Push LED switches that would look great if I can fit them in..

Here are the switches I like...
12V Metal Switch Latching Push Button White Led 19mm | eBay

Air Pressure Gauges and controls here in the Underdash Panel on the RH side of steering wheel...

I really liked this setup... twin needles on the gauge too!
Air Lift Dual Needle Gauge with Twin Paddle Controls
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Hi Key,

The use of the A-pillar is a great idea. I've got a friend who's done the same thing on his pick-up truck. There is a kit available that provides a very stylish molded trim piece that houses the gauges. It's a good looking set-up that you might be able to adapt to fit. I'll see if I can find out where he got it.

Charly
Old 09-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
I have looked at the available ones, and they are a no go, as the width/angle/position is all wrong for the Airstreams more upright pillar.
In a previous life, I was an Industrial Sculptor/Clay Modeler for the Auto Industry, so I can make one that works.
Planning a totally custom pillar, with neat and tightly stacked gauges. The angle and position will be spot on, the wires and tubes will be hidden from the inside and outside. It will fit in place or over the original A pillar trim.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
Key,

I guess that past experience explains your diverse skill set. I have no doubt you'll end up with an A-pillar like no other!

Charly.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Key West , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
I have looked at the available ones, and they are a no go, as the width/angle/position is all wrong for the Airstreams more upright pillar.
In a previous life, I was an Industrial Sculptor/Clay Modeler for the Auto Industry, so I can make one that works.
Planning a totally custom pillar, with neat and tightly stacked gauges. The angle and position will be spot on, the wires and tubes will be hidden from the inside and outside. It will fit in place or over the original A pillar trim.
You may find a market here on the forum KeyAir !
AirRowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Guys!
When you have been doing this type of thing for as long as I have, its hard to stop.
A 6 year Engineering Apprenticeship as a Patternmaker and Toolmaker, followed by 20+ years hopping around the world Contracting for all the major auto makers.
Sheet metal is not my strongest suit, so will need help when I get into that, but I have friends who are experts.
The skill set I have enables me to Visualize, Engineer, Sculpt, woodwork, fiberglass,fabricate, weld, and paint to a reasonable standard.
I lost my Central Vision in my right eye to a blood clot, so was struggling with my job... my Employer of 10 years rewarded me for it by firing me.

Maybe now people will understand why I bought this mild basket case 345!

On my list is:
Repair and take moulds and reproduce parts for:
All front and rear Banana Wraps, spare wheel well, and Spare tire cover.
Build Front spoiler with brake ducts, foglamp housings.
And of course the A-Pillar gauge panel.

Biggest Challenge I have is not having the tools and equipment I am used to having available!
I need a sheet metal Shear and Pan Finger Brake, but can neither afford one, nor do I have the space for one!
Frustrating!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Thanks Guys!
When you have been doing this type of thing for as long as I have, its hard to stop.
A 6 year Engineering Apprenticeship as a Patternmaker and Toolmaker, followed by 20+ years hopping around the world Contracting for all the major auto makers.
Sheet metal is not my strongest suit, so will need help when I get into that, but I have friends who are experts.
The skill set I have enables me to Visualize, Engineer, Sculpt, woodwork, fiberglass,fabricate, weld, and paint to a reasonable standard.
I lost my Central Vision in my right eye to a blood clot, so was struggling with my job... my Employer of 10 years rewarded me for it by firing me.

Maybe now people will understand why I bought this mild basket case 345!

On my list is:
Repair and take moulds and reproduce parts for:
All front and rear Banana Wraps, spare wheel well, and Spare tire cover.
Build Front spoiler with brake ducts, foglamp housings.
And of course the A-Pillar gauge panel.

Biggest Challenge I have is not having the tools and equipment I am used to having available!
I need a sheet metal Shear and Pan Finger Brake, but can neither afford one, nor do I have the space for one!
Frustrating!
Most of the parts you mention, are either still available from Airstream or as an aftermarket part.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Thanks Andy, and I was aware!
As far as the front ABS parts are concerned, I am thinking to do something Custom, so a stock part would not fit my bill!