Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Accel Extreme Heat 9000 Wires R Not gettin' it!

I bought these high heat wires last spring , hoping to end the burnt wire syndrome. I had been thru a few nasty burnt spark plug wires, luckily not leaving me stranded, but not real confident either.
On the way home from our forum rally I felt a slight miss, which got a bit worse as I approached home. I figured it was time to change the plugs as they have been in two years.
Pulled the plugs, which look pretty good, not fouled just mildly carboned.
When I got to the first wire closest to the front left...the thing was fried.
It came off cracked to the core. Boy am I disappointed....looks like the Jacobs ceramics are on my wish list.

Could I heat tape the Accel that goes in that spot to hold me? I have one extra wire I could use there.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:57 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alan,

On my 76 with headers I had fiberglass slip on boots that protected the ones that were too close to the exhaust headers. The were a fiberglass clothe that were woven in a tube. I would bet that you can get different lengths form JEGS or Summit. If that is the one that gets burnt, 20 bucks should allow you to protect it until the Jacobs are within budget.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Alan,
I have the same wires. I think (if I remember correctly) that these may have a warrantee. Since these are so expesnvie I'd check into getting a replacement wire and then add the protective boots.

One note, I noticed that making the switch to headers gave me a little more space between the boots and the exhaust. One more thing to save up for
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You're right on the savings plan. Got to have some goals for the ongoing projects.
I did see those sock ad ons last night, and I am going to switch the wires around, and get a couple of those to put on.Saw a ceramic woven one on Jeg's I might try.
Ohn on the warranty , there is none. Talked to the dealer...he was apologetic..but nothing he could do.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
That’s a bummer on the warrantee. Could have sworn I forked over my $70 in the comfort of "guaranteed for life".

Oh well, I went through two sets of OEM plugsets before I switched to these. I pull mine at each oil change to check plug condition and take a compression and the boot are still like new. Well worth the price of admission.

If you do switch to headers let me know. I'll fax you my Jeg's packing list for a complete system. I'm very happy with the results and the price I paid.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I did some research- the wires are warranted from Accel for Life but not for heat damage. (what the heck sense does that make?)
Also I found the following items-
-Thermo-tec spark plug wire shields ( I use their wire heat tape and starter blanket) 6" long a set of 4 = $32.99
-Moroso High Temp Boot Sleeves a set of 2 = $36.00 These look pretty darn good...ceramic woven covers. Made of Nextel Nasa fabric. I found it from the manufacturer..quite pricey. A sample roll is $300+
www.3m.com/market/industrial/ ceramics/materials/fabric_312.jhtml

-MSD Heat Guard for spark plug wires $40.00

- JC Whitney has Fiberglass plug wire cover 25 foot roll = $10.99 50' = $15.99. Seems to be the same stuff as the Thermo tec at a better price in bulk.

- Cotronix makes a roll of Ceramic woven tape... good to 3000 degrees! Looks very serious...but no price posted, I emailed for info.

DEI Protect -a- boots from Summit Racing; 19.95 for 2, guaranteed to 1200 degrees.
Sets of 8 , 6" in length are $50.00

The Whitney stuff looks good at the price especially---1200 degree protection on top of the Accel wire should do it unless I go to Texas in the summer
I do wonder how it will go over the wire with the boots on..might slit it and attach it with something to hold it together, not sure on that one yet.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-06-2004, 05:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
pulled all my wires today, only the front right one was burnt. The others are in good shape. I had an extra Accel wire, so i am using it to replace the bad one.

I am buying a roll of woven ceramic tape that is good to 2300 degrees, and will cover the plugs boot with it. Hopefully this will be effective until the Jacobs are in my hands.
The ceramic stuff looks good, and a 25 or 50 foot roll in various widths is available thru an Ebay seller for 15 bucks or so. Makes sense as I can use the overage to wrap some other wires.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!