Old 08-16-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
ac belt routinely pops off 454

anyone else have this problem? My ac belt comes off routinely in my motorhome. I have installed an idler pulley to keep the belt from jumping so much between the compressor and water pump. That works well till the sealed bearing in the idler pulley wears out. Sure need a better solution.

Any solutions out there?

PS

Galax bluegrass festival was great! Parking via the Walley club was well done as well. Weather was overcast but nearly no rain while we were there.

Motorhome pulled the mountains well, temp never got over 180F, of course I don't pull a toad and I'm only 28'.

Old 08-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
My AC has two groves in the pulley. The belt runs around the water pump and around the AC and the Power Steering/Brake pump. Could yours just be misaligned?

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 11:01 AM   #3
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
One grove pulley in mine. Same belt routing as yours. Yep, the water pump pulley may be pressed too far toward the engine. Rather not change the water pump to test that theory....... but I've no problem with the water pump/alternator belt....

ac compressor looks aligned correctly, I've checked that over and over and over......
Old 08-16-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPM
anyone else have this problem? My ac belt comes off routinely in my motorhome. I have installed an idler pulley to keep the belt from jumping so much between the compressor and water pump. That works well till the sealed bearing in the idler pulley wears out. Sure need a better solution.
Any solutions out there?
Do you have V belts or Serpentine belts on your MH? If you have serp belts, you might be able to find an automatic tensioner, basically what you have, only instead of a manual adjustment, it is a pre-tensioned spring. Also, if you are wearing out bearings on your idler pulley, you have the belt adjusted too tight. A LITTLE belt jumping between puleys is normal, and tends to be more pronounced the further the pulleys are apart.
I am sure you checked to make sure your pulleys are not bent, you may want to have the alignment of the pulleys checked.
Terry
Old 08-16-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
v belts, the pre-tensioned Serpentine type tensioner is a great idea, pulleys not bent, waterpump pulley alignment suspect but not much, yep probably over tension the belt.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
There are short and long water pumps for BB Chevys and different pulleys for each. Short took a flat pulley. Long should have quite a bit of offset back towards the engine. Wrong pulley?

John
Old 08-16-2004, 03:13 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
There are short and long water pumps for BB Chevys and different pulleys for each. Short took a flat pulley. Long should have quite a bit of offset back towards the engine. Wrong pulley?

John

When I did the water pump on my 76 all they could get was a short shaft, did not know there was a diff. Belts jumped (100 miles later and would not keep them on) had to shim the water pump pully out about 3/8 of an inch to get to all line up.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
That must be the root of my problem. Wrong water pump. Wrong pulley alignment. Wrong pulley?

Not looking forward to replacing the water pump while the radiator is installed. I think I will also check on shimming the pulley out as well first.

thanks ya'll,

MIke
Old 05-17-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada

I realize this is an older thread, I may need to re-post this elsewhere. But I thought I'd give it a try...

I have a '74 Argosy MH, with a Chevy 454 on a p30. It recently lost a belt and I realized because it got hot (H2O pump quit), and now it would appear that it actually is missing 2 belts. I need to get a belt routing diagram! I have no clue how these should be set up. I've attatched a representation of the pulley layout, the numbers in brackets represent the number of pulley spaces on each shaft. There is currently one small belt that runs directly from the crank to the Power Steering (I think it's the ps) and that is it. I have a hunch that it may be incorrect, I have no idea how it was belted prior to me getting it. It may have been jimmy-rigged. Does anyone have any ideas!? No place here could get me a manual either. AGHHH!!

Thanks in advance for all the help!!
-Logan
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I have a 454 in my '84 Suburban, and it has three belts. Although I am not near the truck at the moment, I believe one belt services both the smog pump, and the alternator, another belt spins the water pump & power steering, and the remaining belt runs the A/C & water pump.

If you do not get better replies, PM me and I can pop the hood.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Serpentine runs from Crank to Smog to Alternator to Water Pump. V Belt belt runs from Water Pump to A/C to P/S and back to Water Pump. "backup" P/S belt runs from Crank to P/S.

I also used to have a second Smog pump (part of the now removed A.I.R. Emissions system) that sat in between the Alt and the AC. But mine now looks like yours.
Attached Images

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
FWIW, how old is the belt, and have you tried fliping it around. I had a new belt that kept poping off. I fliped it end for end and the problem stopped.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
I had the same problem years ago. I found the AC compressor was not lined up with the other pulleys. Had to shim it and it worked.
Chuck
Old 05-17-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Mr. Webster, Thank you!! That is awesome!
The only question I still have is that all pulleys are v-belt pulleys...should I replace any of them with serpentine? I can still do what you've drawn with v-belts right?
Thank you again! Now maybe I can get this thing back home!!
-Logan