Old 05-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Gents, after re-doing header gaskets a few times I finally took the advise of one mechanic and did away with the header-gasket style for copper crush gaskets. I've not had any issues with bolt loosening since.

I do a "tighten up" check under and on top of the coach about once a month. My creeper gets a good workout and I get the peace of mind knowing that nothing is loose or hanging....or heaven forbid ready to fall off.

I got so good at replacing header gaskets that I could do it in about 10 minutes per side. No issues since switching to copper crush.

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Gents, after re-doing header gaskets a few times I finally took the advise of one mechanic and did away with the header-gasket style for copper crush gaskets. I've not had any issues with bolt loosening since.
Glen,

Any chance that you would have part numbers available for thes gaskets? Its nice to know there is a better alternative.

Thanks!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Sorry Brad I don't have a part number. I just walk into NAPA and asked for them for a BBC with square ports and they handed them to me.

Shouldn't be a big deal as I'm sure they are made by a few different makers.

After so many blowouts of the thicker "header" gaskets it was great to find a solution that worked though.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 05-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Chuck,

I have a GV on mine already and its great for RPM and MPG mine came with a LPG kit, but it takes it's gas from the big tank too. SO is the LPG gas we get from a fuel station the same as the gas we would cook with ? (as I'm not sure what sort of gas I should fill it with). so can I make this work ? as I am going to drop the big tank to get it powder coated (pressure tested first) as it has some outside corrosion. Thanks for the bolt kit advice, as far as emissions go my MOT guys just laughed when I said how big the motor was

Regards Paul
Yes Paul it is the same gas (LPG) I have an account with a farm suppliers and as the majority of LPG bought was for domestic they only charge the "Heating"rate of VAT!

I too was told that you can use the same tank but have reservations on that, still it is worth looking at.

As regards emissions, after tweaking the QJet the readout is now 1.87% CO and 77ppm on HOC. Just hope it will still go up a 1:4 on our road North out of here!

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Chuck, do you know where I can get an adaptor to fit USA to Uk for filling up ?

Paul.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
I do have an odd one in stock, and can get them for you but try Duncan at RV Spares, Accessories, Parts and Servicing - Star Spangled Spanner first. He has a bigger stock than I have and he is a very helpfull chap.
Any problems PM or give me a call.

BTW in Dungate near Dungyness?

Chuck

Old 05-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
You may be interested in this lot...
RVOC The American RV Owners Club it not really classics but they seem a nice crowd! We are going to their Oswestry rally later this week.

Also there is UKAirstreamers.org - Index page although mainly trailers we have been to a couple of their meets.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

Chuck, Dungate is between Canterbury and Maidstone in Kent not far from faversham.

thanks for the tips on the gas adapters, I will give Duncan a call.

Paul.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 AM   #79
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe View Post
Sorry Brad I don't have a part number. I just walk into NAPA and asked for them for a BBC with square ports and they handed them to me.

Shouldn't be a big deal as I'm sure they are made by a few different makers.

After so many blowouts of the thicker "header" gaskets it was great to find a solution that worked though.
We haven't had a blowout yet without Banks headers but I'm sure the day will happen. Also I have the Argosy 454 engine that is waiting to be installed and I have a set of headers for it as well.

This is good information to have.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 05-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Brad, what did you use on the Banks system for gaskets? I went through lots of aggravation on my earlier coach with the header gaskets and then on the AS until I went to the crush type. FYI I did go for the heavier flanges on the Headmans.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 05-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #81
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Glen,

I don't know which gaskets are being used. The engine is a crate engine installed by the previous owner. I do have a lot of the receipts from that rebuild and if I can find the time I'll dig through to see if the gaskets were spelled out. Since it was a crate engine I would think the header gaskets would have been purchased separately instead of in a kit.

I don't know if the Banks headers have heavy flanges or not. To be honest this has been an area where I haven't had to worry about anything because it just seems to work/seal just fine.

However on our Argosy engine installation that is something I DO have to worry about so information like you provided is priceless

Brad
Old 05-12-2010, 08:15 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Brad, as you're into racing how about milling both the heads and the header flanges to the same degree. When mated like that they almost don't need a gasket if they are similar metals with expansion rates equal.

The operative word is "almost" so don't go there with a big old 454.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 05-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
This is changing the subject a little, still talking about the 454 engine though. My engine starts well, has powerful acceleration no missing,sounds great going down the road. My problem is after a short warm up when stopped or at creeping speed ,it goes into a repetitive surging idle. Very annoying, any suggestions as to what might be causing this? I was thinking possibly the carburetor. Anyone else experienced anything similar or have any idea what would be causing this problem during these particular times?

http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #84
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Almost sounds like fuel starvation, how's the filters - one between tank and engine, midships there abouts, and one at the connection of the Qjet - assuming of course you have one!

If your injected.... there are a miriad of sensors to go through, not least that that looks for cold start and mixture (Lamba?)