Old 06-14-2006, 08:22 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
Skaneateles , New York
7.4L tune up The rest of the story

Astute observation as usual gentleman! The engine in the photograph is a small block chevy in a PU street rod. The rest of the story has a happy ending....the young man who built the engine lives nearby. I would recommend this mechanic to anyone doing a major project on an AS MH. He is one of the best and fastest mechanics I have ever hired. His speed and accuracy make his reasonable rates seem a bargain. Ron Benjamin is his name.....cell 315 730 6430. This enterprising 25 year old built his own 60 ft shop with two 14 ft doors. Ron has a fork lift for MH engine swaps. If I hadn't found Ron, we would never have been ready for our April trip. We have an average of 150" of snow here so it is very hard to work outdoors.

Following GlenCoombe's advice, we checked the adapters between the headers and the exhaust pipes. The nuts were loose so Ron tightened them and added a second nut to each bolt. That should hold everything nicely. We have checked the engine over very carefully. It has great compression and oil pressure. We are looking at air intake and I am going back to review GlenCoombe's post on that subject. I am going to look next for a thread on electric fans. That is the next thing we are going to add to this MH. I want to be able to run the fans to cool the engine block when we are parked so that the heat doesn't enter the MH.

Thanks again to all for the flow of information.
Cheers, Tom

Old 06-15-2006, 06:45 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Tom, if you've got headers they help greatly with heat dissipation. As far as electric fans go why not just insulate your engine cover as well as sound proof it at the same time. The minor block heating will soon be gone after engine shutdown, while electric fans may just push the heat back unless you figure out how to blow forward.
Just a though...

Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:17 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Fans? Hmmmmmm. I have been thinking about mounting a 40 CFM 4 inch Dia 12V bilge fan (as is used to exahust fumes from a marine engime room) in the plumbing which supplies air to the air filter housing on Zeppelin. Positive aspiration is probably good. Still thinking....smells like burning sawdust!!!

Rob
Old 06-17-2006, 12:28 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Greetings,

I'm not sure putting a 40cfm fan in the intake duct designed to provide up to 700cfm of air to the carb/FI would be a good idea. Might be a bit of a choke point!? I may have mis-interpreted the post so the above is simply based on what I think I understood.

Take care,
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rob, Dinoburb has the right question. I also think you're coming up short on your cold air requirements. There are easier ways to provide more air to your carb.
I used a 4" hose from Rockleer Woodworking and put a K&N cone filter on the intake end. Then built a new can to replace the stock air filter housing. The result is a free flowing system that provides lots more cold air than the original single horn intake/can.
If you plan to "stuff" air into the system you'll have to provide about 6-700CFM to make the 454 happy.
I've seen some electric superchargers for the current tuner rice burners but I've never looked at what they put out in the CFM catagory for those small engines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_111905_002.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	22413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_111905_003.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	22414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_111905_004.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	22415  
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Got it, thanks to all.

It is always useful to bounce my hare-brained ideas off a good, solid wall. Leaves a bump or two, but gets me straight.

Glen: I have looked at your photos--but my air filter housing is already as tall/large as it can get without raising the height of the doghouse. If I don't LIFT the doghouse rather than slide it, the butterfly nut on top of the air filter housing tears the foil insulation to which it mates (and leaves a depression) on the underside of the doghouse. Other than a turbo (for which there is no room anywhere that I can see) an extra fan SEEMED a good idea.

Thanks again--

R
Old 06-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Rally, note the drop in the base. I didn't have to do any mods to my doghouse to accomodate the retro fit. I did have to bend the fuel line coming into the front of the carb for clearance though.
The main thing is to be able to accomodate the 4" hose. If that isn't going to work then why not think in terms of two 3" hoses for a lower profile?
I just don't feel the old canisters let in enough air for the big beast.
The side walls are just rolled flashing, so you can make it any height you need. I've got four thicknesses and used door edge molding for the top and bottom then used gasket maker to seal it all up.... BTW I'd use a clear if I did it again. ONly had the red stuff on hand when I did it.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 07-14-2006, 02:15 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralley
Fans? Hmmmmmm. I have been thinking about mounting a 40 CFM 4 inch Dia 12V bilge fan (as is used to exahust fumes from a marine engime room) in the plumbing which supplies air to the air filter housing on Zeppelin. Positive aspiration is probably good. Still thinking....smells like burning sawdust!!!

Rob
Get an electric leaf blower. You'd have to run your generator to power it, but I'm sure it could provide some boost. You could use a 2 stroke leaf blower, but the gas tanks are pretty small.

Actually this would be pretty fun to do. although you would need EFI to adjust properly for all the added air.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Rob, Dinoburb has the right question. I also think you're coming up short on your cold air requirements. There are easier ways to provide more air to your carb.
I used a 4" hose from Rockleer Woodworking and put a K&N cone filter on the intake end. Then built a new can to replace the stock air filter housing. The result is a free flowing system that provides lots more cold air than the original single horn intake/can.
If you plan to "stuff" air into the system you'll have to provide about 6-700CFM to make the 454 happy.
I've seen some electric superchargers for the current tuner rice burners but I've never looked at what they put out in the CFM catagory for those small engines.
Glen,

I've been poking around looking for information on cold air intakes for our motorhome and ran across your post. Do you know how much improvement your cold air intake system made? I'm curious about the MPG change and also how much change if any did it make in power.

I can't really tell by the picture just where you mounted the cone. Any possibility of getting a few more detailed pictures of your installation ?

Thanks,

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:32 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
ralley,
You'll have to "marry up" the old exhaust to the new headers but I'm with Glen, this is a good time to consider replacing everything. New free flow mufflers, an H pipe and 2.5 pipes will help those headers do their job.

I use flex connecters to transition the 3" header outputs to the 2.5 pipes, then into a three foot pipe, back to an H pipe kit from Jegs. From there two more 4 foot pipes lead into Jegs mufflers then more sticks to the back, two 90 degree mandrel bent pipes then out the sides. I also added SS exhaust tips for that extra 5 hp!

Went and used all new hardware, handers, everything. My exhaust was a mess from the manifolds back so this complete replacement made the decision easy. I have to think the replacement process would be easier than trying to connect up to your existing system.
This is getting interesting.
I too am in the middle of the exhaust saga. With the Headers and 'H' section.

I was going to fit the Summit reducers from the headers straight into the 'H' then 2 feet of pipe to the Mufflers, which in my case Summit sent these little round "Glass-Pack" at about 12-16" long !!!! Straight through types. I am a bit nervous about the the noise but can only find that out after fitting everything. They did say I could double up on these; mainly because it would be very expensive to send them back from the UK for a different type, with the all the costs of duty, taxes and freight etc.

Any one know what these little mufflers are like?

My question here is; should I consider a longer interim piece between the headers and the 'H' to allow the gases to "settle" or plain out before the 'H'. These were my thoughts when it came to the piece between the 'H' and the mufflers, hence the 2 foot piece.

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:50 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Cold Air Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
Glen,

I've been poking around looking for information on cold air intakes for our motorhome and ran across your post. Do you know how much improvement your cold air intake system made? I'm curious about the MPG change and also how much change if any did it make in power.

I can't really tell by the picture just where you mounted the cone. Any possibility of getting a few more detailed pictures of your installation ?

Thanks,

Brad
Brad, the "hose" went out on the drivers side departing at about 10 o'clock from the can. Then through the skirt above the rad and mounted to a shelf that accomodated the airhorns.

I'll try to take and send you some more photos later.

Chuckles, I used Flowmaster 70's for mufflers. Good back pressure is important, not sure what you're using. The Flowmasters are very stout mufflers. They have a big round sound.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad, the "hose" went out on the drivers side departing at about 10 o'clock from the can. Then through the skirt above the rad and mounted to a shelf that accomodated the airhorns.

I'll try to take and send you some more photos later.

Chuckles, I used Flowmaster 70's for mufflers. Good back pressure is important, not sure what you're using. The Flowmasters are very stout mufflers. They have a big round sound.
Glen,

Did the "shelf" come from the factory? Our 310 has nothing that looks like what your air horns are mounted on.

Thanks!

Brad
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:31 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
Glen,

Did the "shelf" come from the factory? Our 310 has nothing that looks like what your air horns are mounted on.

Thanks!

Brad
Not sure if the shelf was factory but looking at it tells me it was either factory or installed by the dealer. Just looking at the materials used.

Thinking about it we know it came from the commercial division so who knows what went on over there in the 80's.

You could place the cone air filter just about anywhere up front.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 04-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Quote:
.... Chuckles, I used Flowmaster 70's for mufflers. Good back pressure is important, not sure what you're using. The Flowmasters are very stout mufflers. They have a big round sound.
Glen,
The number on the muffler is SUM-630805, and it is a glass pack. They weigh in at 31 lbs. for the two and cost $21.95 each.

I am sure these will have a good "round/loud" sound - but just how much it infringes on the sound abatement society here will be the question ????

Name:   sum-630805_w_m.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  1.0 KB

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote