Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2005, 07:36 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Rockport , Texas
Using the Cummins Diesel in my Argosy

I have always planned on doing a diesel conversion even before I purchased my MH. Well folks I have now bitten off the bullet and will attempt to put a 2005 Cummins diesel into my 1977 24" Argosy MH. After much research, here are some of my conclusions: I determined the Cummins to be the best diesel for the swap. Reasons: The GM 6.2 and 6.5 engines are underpowered unless you do a lot of High Performance mods which then end up costing bunches of money. Also the higher you raise the HP & torque levels in these engines the more you risk overheating them because they do not have an intercooler, and the pre 2001 (before AM General took over) engines have weaker cases. The Duramax is a great engine, but because the Turbo is on top, it will not fit in the Doghouse. I am not a Ford guy so can not comment on their diesel. If you swap a diesel for a gasser, you should use an overdrive transmission because of the lower rev limit and peak torque comes in much earlier. If you use a higher rear end gear, you will lose a lot of power in those hills.
Now for the Cummins: Legendary durability. Average life before rebuild, 350,000 miles, some known to go 1,000,000 miles. Slim straight six with the turbo mounted on the lower right hand side. Less parts and runs cooler than V8 diesels. Weighs 400 lbs more than the 454, put in some higher rated springs or use heavy duty air bags which will give you an extra 1,000 lbs capacity. Later model Cummins (2003+), are very quite in comparison to the earlier ones. Power: 325HP, 610Ft lbs of torque, this can be easily increased if so desired. Engine will run on Bio diesel or waste vegetable oil. Buy the way, bio-diesel and WVO will mix with No2 diesel. The WVO has to be in a separate heated tank via some rerouted coolant lines but once you run out of WVO in that tank, just put in the N02.
As for initial cost, if you are patient, you can find a salvaged low mileage late model Cummins diesel with the Dodge four speed overdrive attached and sometimes all the extras; serpentine belt and fan, alternator, AC compressor, power steering pump, starter etc. I've seen these go for $3,500 to $6,000 on Ebay. I was looking at a High Performance 6.5 diesel (300HP) but it was going to cost $8,000 to $10,000 plus the cost of the overdrive transmission.
Downside: All the late model diesels are electronic. This results in greater power and effeciency, plus reduces particulate emissions, but may make for a more complex installation. Make sure you get the ECU when you purchase, although a rebuilt one can be had for $400.
So in summary: IMHO if you compare a old slightly modified underpowered GM 6.2 TD diesel that cost $4,000 to $5,000 (without overdrive trans) to a late model Cummins engine for a couple of thousand more (with trans), I'll go for the Cummins, and I did. Now will all this work? Well I guess I am going to find out. I will give it my best shot! See you down the road, I hope!
2tallpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:19 PM   #42
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
http://www.photogra.com/index.cfm?p=...643&PG=Yes&d=1
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #43
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
John,
Nice find. Very cool to see that straight six in a doghouse. The width factor makes the Cummins seems like a good idea. The manifold mounted turbo on the 6.2 would likely require some re-working of the front frame members and doghouse (in what is already a crowded area).

Funny how this all started with a simple little magazine article. It certainly been interesting to hear everyone's opinions about this concept.

2tallpaul - as you progress through your conversion keep us all posted (with pictures if you can) of the conversion process and your results. Obviously from this thread more than a few of us have contemplated this conversion and would be interested in tracking your progress through to completion.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:26 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Marietta , Georgia
Send a message via MSN to 85/345
Was browsing ebay motors and saw this. Not sure what the difference is between the 6BD1A and the 6BD1T, I think the 6BD1T is what AS used. Maybe one of you motor experts could help me out. Not sure if it will work but the price isn't too bad right now, he also has a brand new 6BD1A available. Do the Isuzu diesels have the same motor mount placement as the 454 or would you have to make your own?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU...QQcmdZViewItem
85/345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:05 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I think the 6BD1T is turbo-charged and makes quite a bit more power than the 6BD1A

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Windsor , North Carolina
Diesels!!

The one part of the cost/benefit equasion I did not see above is the cost of the 2 454's replaced at 250K miles each as opposed to the 500K you should be able to get on a good diesel BEFORE IT'S FIRST OVERHAUL!! No kidding-I have a Mercedes Benz diesel 300Turbo with 400K on it, doing 100miles round trip to work and back every day!!

At the risk of being forward, if there is enough interest in doing this, and some unanimity in terms of engines desired, why not do a group purchase? The price should come down buying more than one engine, cruise control, etc. I have to presume that is what Airstream did when they first had the diesels put in.

Rob
ralley is offline   Reply With Quote