Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Thanks so much for your information and truth about this.
I think about doing same sometimes, but now think I'll stay with what it has, and live with 6 mpg.

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
Thanks so much for your information and truth about this.
I think about doing same sometimes, but now think I'll stay with what it has, and live with 6 mpg.
Everyone needs a hobby. Some garden, I play with my 'Silver Bullet', play MPG myth buster and ride a bicycle just so it's fair:<)

Old 07-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #17
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Speaking of playing with the 'Silver Bullet'. She came down to earth (off blocks) and went for a drive today. (Only needed 3 gallon of fluid to fill it this time. Blumenthal put it on a test stand and ran/tested it) Nice sunny 102 degree day. At first I thought I'd forgot to wire the transmission temperature gauge up, but after 5 miles it came off the 100 degree low reading. I floored it and floored and it got up to may 120 at the most. Got back without the need for AAA. No leaks. No drips. No burn. Need to call and start my 12 month/12,000 warrant in the morning. Don't plan to go anywhere till Labor Day, then to the lake. Don't know why I go to the lake, never owned a boat, never plan to. Don't get in the water, but most campground/state parks are at some dirty lake here in Oklahoma. So, to the lake we go, drink beer ride my bicycle and drink more beer then at the end of the day burn some dead animal on the barb and maybe one more beer. Life is good.
Now if only I get that magical 12 MPG, I'd be 'as happy as a dead pig in the sunshine!'
Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Oklahoma

got my 1st. drivers License, Farm, work Permit at the age of 14 just North of you In Parsons Kansas.

Still have family in Oswego to Coffeyville and all along the Boarder
Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Groveland , California
Torque converter stall speed

I think you are doing it the best way you can. Those Gear Vendor overdrives are close to $3.5K so it doesn't make our choice so expensive by comparison. Wish I had overhauled the engine. Couple of quick questions as I really haven't driven anywhere yet:
1) I put in a torque converter with a stall speed of 1500-1600. Does that sound right? Cars and PUs are much higher- don't know.
2) One of my major reasons for the trans conversion was to lessen the highway noise. How did it turn out - do you notice a big drop from 2900RPM to 2100?
I went to school on you with tghat B&M trans oil cooler-what a nice clean installation.
I'll post an update as we take off for the east coast next week.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUCH2TH View Post
I think you are doing it the best way you can. Those Gear Vendor overdrives are close to $3.5K so it doesn't make our choice so expensive by comparison. Wish I had overhauled the engine. Couple of quick questions as I really haven't driven anywhere yet:
1) I put in a torque converter with a stall speed of 1500-1600. Does that sound right? Cars and PUs are much higher- don't know.
2) One of my major reasons for the trans conversion was to lessen the highway noise. How did it turn out - do you notice a big drop from 2900RPM to 2100?
I went to school on you with tghat B&M trans oil cooler-what a nice clean installation.
I'll post an update as we take off for the east coast next week.
I had a Allison 545 transmission before. The Gear Vendor will not fit the 545.

The triple lock torque converter is build to stall in the 15-1800 rpm rate.

I'm near deaf and any noise is bad. It does make a noticeable deferrence to run down the highway 2100-2400 rpm. That .75 4th gear is a lot! Now I hear all the kitchen stuff rattling.

If I was to do it again, I'd go to an RV junk yard and get everything at one stop and plan to have it overhauled before installing it.

I can see an engine overhaul coming next. The poor old 454 has over 80,000 hard fought miles now. But after going $2500 over budget on this 4L80e I need to slow down. My welfare check don't go as far as it used to.

The sad thing is, on my 1st/only trip to fill-up after I got the same mpg as before. 6.3mpg with the Suzuki in tow. I took another trip w/o the toad and I think the mileage is better but I don't want to fill-up because I'm planning to drop the fuel tank and put new hoses on after my next road trip.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #21
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Haven't been able to get the yoke bolt to not leak. After rebuilding the engine and getting all the bugs out if it (Pully that 454) I tried to RTV that bolt one more time. Well I discovered the yoke was sliding back/forth about 1/4" on the tail shaft. I'm thinking (hopping) they left the 'O'ring off when they rebuilt it.
Well Damn it! I pulled the tail shaft housing and no 'O' ring. The end play is the yoke moving between the back washer in the shaft and the rear seal of the housing. NOT GOOD! I guess I'll name names, I bought the tail shaft and housing from my 'buddy's' at Blumenthal in OKC. Then I had Blumenthal rebuild the transmission after it melted w/only 500 miles on it. Now I got 2383 miles on the rebuild and, with the help of the fine folks a Blumenthal, I discover they sold me the WRONG tail shaft for my yoke! The managers salutation? I pay $1600 more to get it rebuilt to fix what they caused! I"M TICKED!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0152.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	192876
Output shaft: No 'O'ring. 5 3/8" splines.

Name:	IMAG0153.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	192877
Yoke has 4 5/8" of spline.
RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mel,

When I saw this come up, I hoped it was someone else, HOLY BUFFALO CHIPS! Another R&R? Blumenthal has a AFAIK a positive reputation. Mel, I'm speechless.

How do you feel about a backpacker tent and that bicycle instead?

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

When I saw this come up, I hoped it was someone else, HOLY BUFFALO CHIPS! Another R&R? Blumenthal has a AFAIK a positive reputation. Mel, I'm speechless.

How do you feel about a backpacker tent and that bicycle instead?

Gary
I use a Huba-Huba tent by MSR. It's lite, roomy, and so far I haven't got wet even in a driving rain. Goes in one of my rear pannier with my rain gear and my computer.
I've started am story of RAGBRAI http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/c...nderfulRAGBRAI
I just started it, but I do have a picture of my 'other' RV posted and a bunch more journals there too.
Guess I'm a lot better at keeping my bicycle rolling then my Silver Bullet.

Right now I'm trying to figure out who's the big dog in change of Blumenthal. I think it's I H Blumenthal, jr to which I'll write him a nice letter to deliver in person with parts in hand.
Guess I need to get a book on 4L80E's and do it myself. Spent all of Friday calling RV junk yards across the fruited plains w/no luck of finding a yoke with 5 3/8" of splines
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Killer spring

Hmm, seriously going to be looking for that spring during the next couple of weeks. Back to the book and the parts breakdown diagrams. Don't want to put a bad one back in. This is way too much effort to take the chance.
Glad to hear everything is working Ok now Mel. I was thinking of putting a cooler and fan combo in the passenger side wheel well too.
Why is your 345 so much heavier than mine? Is the diesel making that much difference in GVW?
All the best, Rich.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
The eastern swamps , North Carolina
Output shaft is wrong!

The output shaft you need is often available on E-bay. There are several on there right now.
Good Luck Mel
All the best. Rich.

P.S. At least a partial refund from the builder is appropriate.
Or a correction of the problem. maybe both.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #26
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
Hmm, seriously going to be looking for that spring during the next couple of weeks. Back to the book and the parts breakdown diagrams. Don't want to put a bad one back in. This is way too much effort to take the chance.
Glad to hear everything is working Ok now Mel. I was thinking of putting a cooler and fan combo in the passenger side wheel well too.
Why is your 345 so much heavier than mine? Is the diesel making that much difference in GVW?
All the best, Rich.
The Silver Bullet scaled at 16,240 pounds w/o much in'er. Get about 500 pounds of people and cat plus food and water I don't know what she'd weigh. Maybe someday I'll have the inkling to run across some scales at a truck stop, put a quarter in the machine and see.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeyRich View Post
The output shaft you need is often available on E-bay. There are several on there right now.
Good Luck Mel
All the best. Rich.

P.S. At least a partial refund from the builder is appropriate.
Or a correction of the problem. maybe both.
Went to a driveline shop (not Blumenthal) and showed they my problem and they came up with some tube stock the right ID to slide over the shaft and with my crude measurements they cut a 0.800" spacer.

Name:	IMAG0154.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	193116
I put the spacer and yoke on the output shaft and I found I had mis-measured (a lot). After doing it again, with the proper equipment, I got another one cut to 1.680". About .010" longer to give some end pinch room. I got it all back together and fired her up, put 3 (yes 3) quarts of transmission fluid in and so far, NO DRIPS!!!!!
Now all that's left is the dang (new) A/C compressor. Think it's like every other new thing I've bought and installed... IT'S BAD! They (the shop I bought it from) whats to 'SEE' it before they will talk warrant. They'll probably charge me an arm and a leg to 'LOOK' at it.
my hope is, this is the fix that lasts and I can go back to Pully that 454
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
It's a nice feeling when things finally start coming together. Before you know it you'll be out racing kids for pink slips

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote