Old 07-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

454 vs 460

I notice that most A/S motorhomes are equiped with a 454 Chevy engine; however some have a 460 Ford engine. My question is one better than the other or is it simply personal preference (Ford vs Chevy)? I have looked through past threads and can not find any related to this topic.

Thanks,
Jon

Old 07-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
Southern Comfort

Jon, I own a 78 28 ft. MH with a 454 it's easy to work on and definitely has the power to tow, I like the fact that on the older model you don't have all the pollution control stuff to mess with. I will tell you mine starts right up even after sitting for weeks. However I think it is just a matter of preference or what you find in the MH when you buy one. I know that so far I haven't had any problems with mine "knock on wood".

Ray
Southern Comfort

Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
The difference was the chassis.

The 454 motor was used in the P30 chassis that was under the 20 foot to 34.5 foot MH. It was even extended to the 360.

When Airstream designed the 37 foot or 370 they used a Gillig bus chassis, this came with the Ford 460 power plant. It is as far as I know the only classic MH that has the 460.

On the Box style MH, there seems to be a mix of chassis so I cannot give you any idea of the GM vs Ford breakdown.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jon,
It actually has more to do with the chassis choice. The Ford 460's came on the Gillig Bus Chassis which was only used on the 370 Classic Motorhomes. Most of the Classic were built on the P30 with the 454 engine. There is one more alternative which is the P30 chassis using an Isuszu Diesel engine or a very rare Cummins setup. One more possibility would be the late model 360 on a Spartan Chassis setup with a Cummins in a Pusher configuration.

Bascially, most of the classics you see are on the P30 with a 454.

(on edit - I see Brett beat me to it....)
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Ford

Ironically, it seems that even though AS's are predominantly on P-30 Chevy Chassis, Airstream tends to utilize Ford Products for the coach. Some things that come to mind are the Keyless entry, head and tail lights, dash indicators.

I dont get it
Old 07-06-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Jon,
One more thought on this subject. Beyond the engine itself, one of the benefit I enjoy from the P30 is the wide availability and low cost of chassis components. Regular wear items like brakes, ujoints, etc are all highly available from almost any big box auto parts store and generally are very inexpensive when compared to RV specific chassis parts.

I don't have experience ordering Gillig parts but have to imagine it's not as easy as walking into any NAPA and saying; "86, Chevy, P30, 7.4 - need a master cylinder" to which they reply - "we have two in stock at $45.76".
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
I dont get it
I am sure it has to do with the aftermarket parts channel. the stuff that you mentioned is likely available as an assembly form Ford, but not form other manufacturers. For a while the AC controls were a Chrysler product.

It may also have to do with the cost of the product itself. Buying a pre DOT approved taillight and headlight saves massive amounts of time, not to mention money, applying for approval This speeds the production/design process.

It also creates savings form the standpoint that Airstream does not need to worry about the 10 year rule on parts. They can let the big three deal with it and they don't have to warehouse it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
Chevy!!!!

From my working with Ford and Chevy .Most of the Chevy parts are cheeper and they are in stock more.Plus the Ford 460 is a bit louder than a Chevey 454.Good luck Jim
Old 07-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim8860
Chevy!!!!
Dont be mistaken, I dont believe there is a person that detest a Ford as much as I. And that is from the experience of owning four P.O.S Ford trucks. I have had the 300, the 302, and the big block 352, AKA 360.

There is not much I do not know about an older Ford truck, the days of the touted "Twin I-Beam", , Ford had the gall to promote this tire eating concept as the greatest thing ever on a truck, That is BS!

The reason I know so much about Fords is
BECAUSE I HAD TO FIX OR REPLACE EVERYTHING ON THEM!
Old 07-06-2005, 03:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1989 37' Airstream 370
Beverly Hills , Florida
I am one of the owners of the 1989 370 LE. It has the Gillig chassis with the Ford 460, but has (surprise!) GM dash controls. Don't ask me why.

The only problem I've encountered with the Ford / Gillig arrangement is with Gale Banks. I talked to them at the Tampa RV show this past January about installing one of their kits. The rep told me their kits won't fit on mine because of the Gillig chassis ( headers and exhaust pipes don't have clearance or space). He said they probably weren't going to do anything about it since there are so few AS Gilligs.

As for Ford parts, I have had no problems getting anything I've needed from either NAPA, Auto Zone or Advance.

A huge advantage in my eyes to the Chevy 454/P30 is that there are a lot of knowledgeable folks in this forum that have them. I never see a problem not solved by this group. While there are some similarities with the 454/P30, I've had to figure out some rather perplexing problems specific to mine myself.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:11 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

The only thing about 7.5L I can say is that it tends to drink oil, about 1qt/1000 miles. This is normal for it. Maybe it depends on RPMs. I have no overdrive and usually drive at 3,000 rpms.

Other than that, no complaints. Usual electrical problems due to age (fuel pump, power windows) but the engine runs nicely with a fresh tune-up.

Same abysmally low mileage as a 7.4L but you already knew that.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well, this kind of opens up the Ford vs. Chevy thing, but to me, having driven, towed and had fun with a 454 Suburban....it really is a great engine. Kicked around a 460. Nice, but I liked the 454. Smooth, powerful, well built and easy to work on.

No Greenpeace membership card for either...but you do get an honorary membership to OPEC with either and a free credit card credit limit for those frequent gas station visits!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
Dont be mistaken, I dont believe there is a person that detest a Ford as much as I.
Maybe or maybe not, but I'd be a darn close second if not actually in the #1 slot!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
...but you do get an honorary membership to OPEC with either and a free credit card credit limit for those frequent gas station visits!
The gas station I use must not have gotten the word...those clowns cut the pump off at $50 if you use the credit card outside...it seems that is what the computer system "prequalifies" the credit cards at...that is fine...if you have a freakin' Honda or something. But my FORD has a 34 gallon tank and I usually put 30+ gallons in it. And at the current exchange rate of $2.1699 that works out to more than the limit BTW I am not going to enter the Ford/Chevy debate...they have BOTH irritated me beyond belief at one point or another...

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is online now   Reply With Quote