Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1991 33' Land Yacht
Warren , Ohio
454 trouble

Just back from CA trip 5285 mi with motor problems. Began losing oil at the rate of 4 qt per 1000. I say losing because the motor did not seem to be burning oil. The bottom and lower sides became coated with oil, mostly on the passenger side.
I am having difficulty finding someone to work on the motor or possibly replacing the 454.
I really don't know the extent of the problem, could be a head gasket failure or warped head, so I am told.
Visited Chevy dealer in Akron, OH told I would be looking at between 9 and 10 K for a replacement. I don't know if that is a good quote or not. I just got the feeling that if they looked at my coach the engine was going to need replaced. The coach has 70000 on it. I need someone to check this out. I live in NE Ohio and can travel to a shop almost any ware in the East. Any help, suggestions, or recommendations would be great.
johndes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I would discuss repair first. You should be able to get new heads, gaskets, etc..
Old 08-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Did you notice any lose in power? I may simply be a leaking valve cover or a PVC problem. I'd clean the engine and see where the oil is leaking from first.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Most likely explanations don't warrant engine replacement. Find the leak first. It's a big one, so it should be easy to find - valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, PCV, oil filter, etc.
powool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Did you notice any lose in power? I may simply be a leaking valve cover or a PVC problem. I'd clean the engine and see where the oil is leaking from first.
Yeah... Clean and diagnose. I am guessing if on outside it is a loose or missing valve cover gasket. Especially if still running well.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
454 Replacememt

Hello fellow streamers. Last year I had the 454 in my 89 GMC 3500 replaced with a Barnetts remanufactured motor. It was a 4 bolt main long block, meaning it was complete except for the accessories like water pump, alternator throttle body, ect. It cost me about $4500 at that time, complete including installation.
Motor home may be more due to the way they are mounted in the MH.
My original 454 was damaged when I had the radiator replaced and the shop didn't tighten up the lower oil pipe fitting going to the oil cooler in the radiator and I lost all my oil while traveling down I95 in Rhode Island.
I pulled off as soon as I saw the oil pressure at zero and the camper following me stopped and then went for oil. I called AAA but they would not bring me oil ( against policy to deliver oil). Put in oil and proceded but with in about 30 miles it really started to knock nut made it to camprround but did I get looks from bystanders when they heard that knocking truck go by. The shop made good on replacing the motor and thats what I pull my 88 Excella with. So maybe the shops quote was not far off but shop around.
That 454 is a strong motor.
Good luck happy camping nm1oqrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndes View Post
Just back from CA trip 5285 mi with motor problems. Began losing oil at the rate of 4 qt per 1000. I say losing because the motor did not seem to be burning oil. The bottom and lower sides became coated with oil, mostly on the passenger side.
I am having difficulty finding someone to work on the motor or possibly replacing the 454.
I really don't know the extent of the problem, could be a head gasket failure or warped head, so I am told.
Visited Chevy dealer in Akron, OH told I would be looking at between 9 and 10 K for a replacement. I don't know if that is a good quote or not. I just got the feeling that if they looked at my coach the engine was going to need replaced. The coach has 70000 on it. I need someone to check this out. I live in NE Ohio and can travel to a shop almost any ware in the East. Any help, suggestions, or recommendations would be great.
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
If she was running fine otherwise and not smoking, at just 70k on the engine it is very unlikely you'll need to replace it. You've just driven a lot of miles, so plenty of time for a few nuts or bolts to work loose. Could be as simple as one rocker cover slightly loose. At the rate you are losing oil, I think it should be easy to find the leak. Check this out, as being cheaper than 10k for a new engine.
Penmaenmawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Well I think you've got a consensus...FIND THE LEAK!

A well running 70k 454 deserves to stay on the road.

Clean and check well.

First place I'd look... the oil filter.
If the oil has been changed recently the the old gasket may have stuck the the block, now you've two squished gaskets, pressure builds and before you know it you got a oil sprit.

Bob
Old 08-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Being that it is on the passenger side and low, first place to check would be valve cover gasket, then the dipstick tube at the lower end. Cover the alternator, pressure wash, if you can't see leak try a leak dye.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Finding the right mechanic if you don't want to do this yourself can be a challenge, but there has to be one in Akron. Somebody other than the Chevy dealer is keeping all those delivery vans running, and they can work on your rv. When we were in Delaware we found a gem (Stokes Garage in Wilmington, family owned since 1948) by researching online reviews like Yelp.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The main concern is did you loose oil pressure?

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1991 33' Land Yacht
Warren , Ohio
Thank you all

I did not loose oil pressure, I did change oil and filter before the trip and the coach ran fine through all the loss of oil. Of corse I keep dumping it in. At no time did the coach over heat even threw some pretty serious hills.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndes View Post
I did not loose oil pressure, I did change oil and filter before the trip and the coach ran fine through all the loss of oil. Of corse I keep dumping it in. At no time did the coach over heat even threw some pretty serious hills.
I bet motor ok.

Take a few cleanup days, reload with oil then fire up and carefully observe for leak.

Careful you don't get near moving parts.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Another likely source would be the oil cooler lines.
Had one leak on our 454 Burb at about the same milage. Replaced them and installed a remote filter with temp gauge.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towing accessories 007.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	194610   Click image for larger version

Name:	towing accessories 002.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	194611  

Old 08-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
As suggested above, it sounds like a benign oil leak. 2x on the clean it up an find out where the oil is coming from.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Anything mechanical that would lead to a quart in 250 miles would lead to a loss of power, overheating, smoking, noise, ect...

A warped head doesn't seem likely based on your description of the symptoms.

Check the valve cover bolts. The older gaskets compress and get hard. The bolts will often loosen up.

A simple compression check will tell a lot about the health of the engine.

You should be able to find someone reputable that wont look at you like a Christmas present waiting to be opened.

If you can give us any more information we can help further.

Good luck!

Dave...
Old 09-01-2013, 06:00 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1991 33' Land Yacht
Warren , Ohio
More info for 454 trouble

Thank all for your help and interest in solving this issue. I must admit, I am a bit over whelmed by your response.
Before the trip we had the rad. Rebuilt we did have trouble removing the oil cooling lines, the ends had to be replaced. Those are not leaking. On the last day of our trip the oil pressure gauge spiked to the limit of the gauge (over 60 psi) normally around 30. The coach continued to run fine, but I did notice a lot of foam on the dip stick.
One of your members has volunteered to travel to my location to help me find the problem, I will take him on the offer.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It sounds like you have some sort of restriction in the oil cooling system that caused the pressure to rise and blow out a seal. The high oil pressure and the recent messing with oil cooling lines makes me suspicious that something got FUBARED during that process. Put a real gage on the oil system and go from there.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Foam could be caused by over servicing the oil. The crankshaft can churn it up and cause foam. There are other more sinister causes.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Good luck sorting this one out, take the start simple comments to heart. The PSI spike is a good symptom to focus on. If you find a sorta simple fix and save the engine, consider doing an engine oil analysis. Buy sample kit, collect sample at oil change,mail in, get results, read and smile or weep.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote