Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #181
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Would it be sacrilegious to own both a AS motor home and an AS trailer?????
Just 1 each ?
Here are both of mine at the same campground this weekend and no I did not tow the trailer with the 310. It was a christmas present for some good friends of mine to invite them to stay in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	84merry.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	603.8 KB
ID:	253810   Click image for larger version

Name:	310side.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	355.1 KB
ID:	253811  

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:41 PM   #182
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Today being another Monday and as I keep trying to get hold of the only guy in the TCI company that knows anything about the 4 year old dinosaur transmission control that I have. Can't

So, I talked to a couple of diesel people over the weekend and was told to, "Get the pump in the tank out and let the lift pump handle it." Now that I have a full tank of diesel and no place to put it. May of blown the seals out of the injector pump with pumping maybe 70 psi to the lift pump adding to that. May have had as much pressure into the IP as Tony has output on his!

I ordered a 14mm banjo bolt snubber so as to have a fuel pressure gauge out of the lift pump. Be able to see if the IP is getting enough to work. I'm hoping no damage was done.

Dang! That's big!

Need to start thinking about a boost gauge and EGT gauge. Not sure what other monitoring I need to do. Maybe transmission sump temp.

I put a Holley regulator inline by the tank where it was as was stock with Holley pump/regulator. Made a mess too.

Took the Sierra fuel filter off to try and find a water separator filter to match, and Look-e there! It IS a water separator filter! Went back to the picture of it I posted and I could read it in the picture. That's fixed! With another mess.

Would go for a test run again, but here I set with computer hooks to the TCI waiting for a call. I'll call again Tuesday and Wednesday and by Thursday I'll be told he'll be back next Monday! AGAIN!!!
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 PM   #183
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mel,

A suggestion albeit a bit pricy for EGT/Boost is the Westach combo gage. Westach - WESTACH - COMBO GAUGE - BOOST (0-35 PSI/EGT, 1/8 NPT) I've had this one since about '05 or so and its on its 3rd vehicle. Its a class gauge, only thing to really check is the length of the EGT cable. Also a boost bolt allows you to tap into the flat manifold plate and get that one really easy, Geno's again. Trans temp should be a must have even though I'm a handshaker kinda guy.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:58 PM   #184
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Today being another Monday and as I keep trying to get hold of the only guy in the TCI company that knows anything about the 4 year old dinosaur transmission control that I have. Can't

So, I talked to a couple of diesel people over the weekend and was told to, "Get the pump in the tank out and let the lift pump handle it." Now that I have a full tank of diesel and no place to put it. May of blown the seals out of the injector pump with pumping maybe 70 psi to the lift pump adding to that. May have had as much pressure into the IP as Tony has output on his!

I ordered a 14mm banjo bolt snubber so as to have a fuel pressure gauge out of the lift pump. Be able to see if the IP is getting enough to work. I'm hoping no damage was done.

Dang! That's big!

Need to start thinking about a boost gauge and EGT gauge. Not sure what other monitoring I need to do. Maybe transmission sump temp.

I put a Holley regulator inline by the tank where it was as was stock with Holley pump/regulator. Made a mess too.

Took the Sierra fuel filter off to try and find a water separator filter to match, and Look-e there! It IS a water separator filter! Went back to the picture of it I posted and I could read it in the picture. That's fixed! With another mess.

Would go for a test run again, but here I set with computer hooks to the TCI waiting for a call. I'll call again Tuesday and Wednesday and by Thursday I'll be told he'll be back next Monday! AGAIN!!!

You might be inducing air into the fuel with an overzealous in tank pump. That will cause problems and damage the HP pump.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #185
4 Rivet Member

1985 32.5' Airstream 325
Lindsay , Ontario
Mel
I don't think you should be running any more than 15-20lbs fuel press or you may damage the seals in the injection pump. My 03 ram runs around 18lbs press.

Maybe you could get a pressure regulator
shepherd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #186
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
Mel
I don't think you should be running any more than 15-20lbs fuel press or you may damage the seals in the injection pump. My 03 ram runs around 18lbs press.

I think you're right: 17-35psi off the lift pump. I put the old Holley 5psi regulator on it. My thought was to drive it around and empty all the fuel out then drop the tank, remove the EFI pump, install a low pressure pump where the Holley pump/regulator was and get out of dodge!!!! BUT:<) I needed to see what the psi was off the lift pump. I waited and waited to get the banjo bolt to be able to hook a gauge to it. When the banjo bolt arrived, 7 DAYS FOR USPU TO DELIVER A 2 DAY PACKAGE, it was the wrong size
Then yesterday I got a friend w/a windows 7 computer to come out and still: no driver found to reprogram the TCI! Can't get TCI to call back, answer text, answer their dang phone!
So, I put my hands up! I start calling around the Tucson area for a rental and after calling for two days I found a little tin shack to rent.
Hope to get a fire under the wife and be on our way by Friday. BIG storm is a-brewing starting Saturday, so hope to be to Alamogordo, NM by Friday night

This project will wait till the spring now.

If you wild and crazy people of Tucson see some old fart on a tadpole trike w/Okla flag fling, stop and buy me a beer or 6 or 10

Marry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd57 View Post
Mel

My 6BTA is a strait draw off the fuel tank from the engine low pressure pump. Dixie diesel (the experts on old cummins) told me 5psi was plenty and the low pressure mechanical pump could handle that all day. They said it would run well down to about 1-1.5 lbs. I have no In tank nor auxiliary boost pumps in my lines. Runs great.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:01 AM   #188
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
454 to Cummins

My Cummins runs about 24 psi at 2000 rpms off the engine lift pump. My pressure gauge is at the outlet of the final filter so its truly feed pressure to the high pressure pump. It tells you exactly what's going on with fuel supply to the HP pump. When to change filters...

The water separator, primary filter, electric priming pump unit I referenced earlier really works nice. The only time I use the primer pump is after changing filters or have an injector line off on the engine. It has a 30 second timer. Push it once and you are purged, primed, and ready to go. It's also rated for continuous duty so you could hot wire it if the lift pump failed to get you home.

Microscopic air bubbles in diesel fuel are nearly as abrasive as sand in hp pumps. An in tank pump could induce them if the pickup uncovered as in sloshing in low fuel conditions. In the aircraft world, a PT6 turbine engine is allowed 10 hours of suction feeding in the case of lift pump failure before a mandatory tear down. Purely from air bubble abrasion that results from air coming out of solution as the pressure drops.

Lots of the hype about more feed pressure to the HP pump comes from guys that are racing these engines at over 1000 hp. Then the boulevard cruisers with the 6 inch dual smoke stacks follow suit to be cool.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #189
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Kota, apples to apples lift pump?
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 12-26-2015, 04:35 AM   #190
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
454 to Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Kota, apples to apples lift pump?

Now sure I follow the question. Bottom line is that the high pressure pump produces the metered and timed squirts at several thousand psi to the injectors. They will but suction feed but the reduced pressure allows dissolved air to come out of solution which rapidly erodes the intricate workings of the pump.

The Bosch P1700 high pressure pump

http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p...FQcOaQod_XAHSQ

Requires about 20 psi of feed pressure which is provided by the engine driven lift pump.

http://www.agkits.com/cummins-6t830-...FZOCaQodweIFVQ

Notice the rubber plunger on the bottom of the lift pump. You push it several times with your thumb to prime the system after you run out of gas or get air in the system by some other means like changing filters.

One potential problem with feeding the lift pump with an in tank pump is a failure of the lift pump piston seal, an o-ring, would pump your crank case full of fuel.

Newer Diesel engine use electronic timing to fire fuel injectors and a simple high pressure pump that just provides high pressure to a fuel rail that feeds injectors. Many of these systems have gone to in tank pumps.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 AM   #191
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
454 to Cummins

I guess my question would have been more accurate if I stated it as engine to engine. Mel has a 12V P7100, your info for the P7100 setup too? I owned a 97 Ram 3500 same 12V system, sold in July.

My TV is an '05 HPCR Cummins Ram 2500 handshaker.

I hope he gets a break on this project.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:06 PM   #192
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Now that I've escaped the ice of Okla, I have a question Kota:
If I fried my IP can I replace it with a 400HP 3200 rpm IP? Would that increase the HP output? Would I need to change the injectors to match the pump?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:15 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
Quote:
Now that I've escaped the ice of Okla, I have a question Kota:
If I fried my IP can I replace it with a 400HP 3200 rpm IP? Would that increase the HP output? Would I need to change the injectors to match the pump?

I'm still working on maintaining stock. The diesel forum guys can tell you how to get 1000hp and block out the sun!
Old 12-31-2015, 08:35 AM   #194
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
I'm still working on maintaining stock. The diesel forum guys can tell you how to get 1000hp and block out the sun!
Oh no! I sure don't want 1000hp!
The standard transmission engines have more hp then an engine w/automatic. This engine was from an automatic truck.
Just wandering if, in fact, I killed the IP, would I want to put a higher hp rated IP. Don't know want makes the difference: higher psi and/or longer squirt.
I got till spring to think about it now.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:53 PM   #195
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

I sorta think I understand the current status, maybe.

Any chance you can temp rig a gravity feed fuel setup just to test the assumed standard pump and engine?

A bit over simplified but you've done more challenging stuff all ready.

Happy new year Mel.

Gary
Old 01-01-2016, 08:49 AM   #196
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Oh no! I sure don't want 1000hp!
The standard transmission engines have more hp then an engine w/automatic. This engine was from an automatic truck.
Just wandering if, in fact, I killed the IP, would I want to put a higher hp rated IP. Don't know want makes the difference: higher psi and/or longer squirt.
I got till spring to think about it now.
I believe if you check it out you'll find from the factory the automatic engines have more hp than with the Manuel trans .
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #197
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I believe if you check it out you'll find from the factory the automatic engines have more hp than with the Manuel trans .
Mel has my old manual, but this is a link to specs for 96-98 engines, manual beats auto. 96-98 engine specs

Now if you get into the last few years of Ram Cummins, the auto has beat the manual. The G56 manual was introduced in late '05.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #198
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Actually the 1996 cummins stock is:
automatic: 180hp; 420 torque
Manual: 215hp; 440 torque
Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 AM   #199
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

I sorta think I understand the current status, maybe.

Any chance you can temp rig a gravity feed fuel setup just to test the assumed standard pump and engine?

A bit over simplified but you've done more challenging stuff all ready.

Happy new year Mel.

Gary
I have the 70psi off the in-tank pump regulated down to 5psi now and, when I return from the AZ sun, I hope I will have the right banjo bolt waiting so/as to read the pressure off the lift pump which should tell me whether the IP is the problem.
Hope I can drive the fuel out of the tank before I drop it out and replace the in-tank pump with something w/around 5psi o/p.

mel
Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Chart I seen showed 07 6.7 350 hp. Auto-650 torque.
Man-610. ".
The new technology is amazing..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote