Old 09-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #295
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Mel,
I know my Rear Diff is a Dana 70HD, I broke an axle shaft at the end of my road the weekend after I got back from a 2000 mile trip, I had to quickly familiarize myself with the rear end. I cannot be sure that it is the same in the 34.5, Airstream was extremely helpful in helping me nail down exactly what my coach shipped from the factory with and thankfully no one had touched it except for the gears. Gear Vendor makes overdrives for Semi's and bigger, I can't believe they would not build you one for your application. I have towed a car behind mine with no problem. as I said, I switch it off when I am going up a steep grade, Gear Vendor also told me to switch it off going down grades, I was already doing that as well as downshifting the trans at least one gear so I don't tax the brakes. Basically as it was described to me, when the Gear Vendor is off it is locked up 1-1 on Helical gears, when you turn it on, the gears disengage and you are driven through a series of clutches to the higher gear. They also recommended that I not have the gear vendor on while backing up a steep hill. Lastly, my 6BT is backed by an Allison 545 with a parking brake mated at the tailshaft, my Gear vendor is mounted midship behind the parking brake. I chalk the wheels if I park anywhere not flat for obvious reasons. Let me know if I can help in any way. If I head south in Sylvia anytime soon, I will let you know.

Curt

Old 09-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #296
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
The 'Silver Bullet' had the 545 in it. It's burnt up! That's why I have the 4L80e. I got a thread on here of that.

Stopped by the tire store about going to the 8.75R16.5. Not enough room between the tag and the drive they said.

Change the rear from 4.56 to 3.54 is a 22%. That would put my 1st gear close to the 2nd gear ratio. May need the underdrive to get away from a stop sign. I need to pull the pumpkin and see which rearend I have.

I got some help with the TCI transmission control. My problem is I take the rpm off the alternator. At idle the TCI thinks the rpm is 4000. That's why it won't shift into first at a stop. I don't know why it shifts at all.

I first tried to get tachometer to work off the crack shift sensor before buying a tach that worked off the alternator. Time to revisit that for rpm for the TCI.

Maybe it's cooled down and I can play with it again this afternoon. Got to get the fan off and be ready when the new comes.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #297
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Been cooling my heals waiting for Dodge to come through with the new fan blades and my brother to come home from his globe trotting. He has the oscilloscope so I can check for a signal off the crank sensor before going and spending $135 for a new one.

Got the fan from my local Dodge dealer yesterday. Didn't look like the broken one. Got home and pulled the old off the wall. Most diffidently NOT! It's smaller w/more pitch, 5 blade rather then 7, but the real deal breaker....... Wrong way for rotation. Back to Dodge. This time w/old fan blades. They run the number on the blade and DISCONTINUED!!!!
I check the world wide web: Over $700??? Find a blog on the subject which as of the last entry: none available!!!!! Come on after market folks, there's a need here!!!!

Don't want to go to electric radiator fans. Already have: 2 for the intercooler; 3 for the transmission coolers; intercooler water pump; Airdog fuel pump; and 2 fans in the dash air.

The search is on.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #298
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mel,

Do you have a dodge or Cummins part number?
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #299
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post

Back to Dodge. This time w/old fan blades. They run the number on the blade and DISCONTINUED!!!!
I check the world wide web: Over $700??? Find a blog on the subject which as of the last entry: none available!!!!! Come on after market folks, there's a need here!!!!
The search is on.

This problem seems to be cropping up fairly regularly these days with even relatively new trucks having NLA parts. You know it's bad when a guy with a 2009 F-150 can't get a climate control module as it has been discontinued and is no longer available. I can understand a 35 year old limited run motorhome having this problem, but a 7 year old, million unit pick-up?????

Goodluck with the search but Plan B maybe your best bet if Plan A is more expensive.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #300
1 Rivet Member

Sudbury , Ontario
I suspect this is going to be a problem with most modern vehicles in the future. As the electronic control modules fail (and there are a lot of them in modern vehicles) you will be SOL once the available supply has been depleted. One of the comments that came out of the F150 story referenced above was that North American manufacturers typically produce enough spare parts to last the warranty period. If there is an excessive draw on the spares they run out shortly after the warranty period ends. There is no legal requirement for domestic manufacturers to provide spares beyond the warranty.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #301
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
dexter , New York
I had this problem on a dodge with a Cummins nla on the fan I took a chance on a newer one it matched seems like dodge isn't keeping up on crossing over parts numbers nla was a 93 new one I got was like 03-09 same fan .
Old 09-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #302
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Airstream310
Sullivan , Wisconsin
Mine has 3 electric fans on it, I guess I would have went for 4, 2 pushing, 2 pulling, but 2 pushing, one pulling keeps her between 170 & 180, 190 pulling the longest grades. Works fine, available everywhere you breakdown, cheap.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #303
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

Do you have a dodge or Cummins part number?
52028653; 52004927; A11825P..... On the broke fan.
Cummins don't do fans. He sent me to Turbo Diesel. They called a custom fan maker who said, "I've tried several time to make that fan and they all come back." Fans from him cost about $130. Drat!
The one I found at a dodge junk yard: H52028893AA. The first fan they brought had a crack in it. The junk yard guy said, "Oh that's just a scratch." I healed it up and said, "Well I can see through this scratch." I didn't see any cracks in the 2nd one...... $150 BUCK!!!!!! Haven't had a chance to clean it up and get a good look.

My oscilloscope is coming home this afternoon, so can see if the crank position senor is working before I put the new/old fan on.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #304
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel I'll send these numbers to a buddy next week.
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #305
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Got the scope on the output (I think) no output; swapped the +/-, no output. Pulled the sensor off only to realize I had already replaced the dang thing!!

Got a new one on order.

Must of hooked it up with reversed polarity on the first try and smoked the little transistor in it. Maybe with the book I can figure out which pin is which.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:11 PM   #306
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Mel,

A bit of reading required but my contact suggests this thread.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...18#post2441618

Gary
S/OS #001
Old 09-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #307
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
dexter , New York
Go newer it matches.03-09 I believe.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:43 AM   #308
Rivet Master

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Mel,

A bit of reading required but my contact suggests this thread.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...18#post2441618

Gary
I read a blog with almost the exact same enters that started it 2011 and never was resolved. This started in 2015 and did. I'll use the junk yard one for now.

Now on the engine speed sensor: Pulled the old one off thinking it was the one I spliced on to right above the pickup only to pull out one with the plug on. Can't remember, but I guess I put a new one on last year before the engine went in. I ordered a new one from Pure Diesel Power.
Now I know the pin configuration from the manual, BUT, is it the plug on the pigtail or the plug on the wiring harness???? 12:00 is pin 1; 8:00 is pin 2; and 4:00 is pin 3......

Going to Dodge today to see if I can get a harness side pigtail/plug. Maybe it has colored wire to match the book?????