Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #239
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,314
Images: 8
1250 is the maximum EGT one should see and that only for a few seconds to keep from melting or deforming the aluminum compressor wheel. The Turbine wheel living in the exhaust stream was a niconel of some variation in our turbochargers we made in the 50s and 60s.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:16 AM   #240
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 715
I've had decent luck with Glowshift gauges.

The lift pump should put out about 20-30 psi with about 15 at idle.

EGT on mine will hit 1200 on a hard pull. Normal cruising at 65mph is about 800 degrees and 7 lbs boost. On acceleration the boost will hit about 30 psi and the EGT will hit about 1100 degrees. Fuel pressure at cruise runs about 25 psi.

The star wheel in the fuel pump adjusts the fuel delivery and can be set to keep EGT down at the expense of power.

My governing speed is about 2800 rpms.
__________________

__________________
Kota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:21 AM   #241
Rivet Master
 
choctawmel's Avatar

 
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 576
Images: 1
Thanks for the insight, Dan.
I did install the EGT probe down stream for the turban. That was pre the instructions w/the gauge.
I have a turban blanket (for noise) and I think I saw an exhaust manifold blanket was available. Depending on the noise level, will also look at a blanket for the valve cover, IP and oil pan.
I usually set the cruise and go. My body does not like to push on the accelerator pedal from fill up to fill up.
Does your unit have the Holley electric pump in front of the tank like the gassers? Don't thing diesel would have the vapor locking problem that gas systems have. I'm concerned that the lift pump wouldn't be able to pull all the way from the tank.
Maybe I'll remember to get another oil (fuel) pressure gauge to replace that GlowShift. The reason I have for the to fuel pressure gauges is to make sure I have pressure to the lift pump and pressure to the injector pump.
Was going to work on it today, but got to go to the other side of Oklahoma City today and get some brace work done. Every time I go to the city, I'm gone all day.
__________________
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:28 AM   #242
Rivet Master
 
choctawmel's Avatar

 
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 576
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
I've had decent luck with Glowshift gauges.

The lift pump should put out about 20-30 psi with about 15 at idle.

EGT on mine will hit 1200 on a hard pull. Normal cruising at 65mph is about 800 degrees and 7 lbs boost. On acceleration the boost will hit about 30 psi and the EGT will hit about 1100 degrees. Fuel pressure at cruise runs about 25 psi.

The star wheel in the fuel pump adjusts the fuel delivery and can be set to keep EGT down at the expense of power.

My governing speed is about 2800 rpms.
Thanks.
Was reading EGT X1000, it's really X100. So at 2400rpm, no load, was 400 degrees and 7psi boost. Hopping under load boost will increase w/more fuel and higher EGT.
__________________
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:03 PM   #243
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Thanks.
Was reading EGT X1000, it's really X100. So at 2400rpm, no load, was 400 degrees and 7psi boost. Hopping under load boost will increase w/more fuel and higher EGT.
Whew!!!
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #244
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,646
Mel,

Where is the EGT probe, before turbo or after turbo? Makes a difference IIRC.

I've run a Westac combo EGT BOOST gage on my dodge and the probe was before turbo. Really picked up temp nicely.
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #245
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 715
Everyone I've seen is before the turbo. The turbo extracts energy from the exhaust gas therefore heat. 400 degrees would probably be about right on that side. Probably about twice that on the upstream gasses.
__________________
Kota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:39 PM   #246
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,646
Kota,

Proof is where somebody installed it. Before offers a real look at this critical temp.

But if you have an OE installation, all functions working correctly should be able to just about floorboard it and hang on. But Mel is writing his own manual and warranty documents.
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:30 AM   #247
Rivet Master
 
Smartstream's Avatar

 
1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
Thanks for the insight, Dan.
I did install the EGT probe down stream for the turban. That was pre the instructions w/the gauge.
I have a turban blanket (for noise) and I think I saw an exhaust manifold blanket was available. Depending on the noise level, will also look at a blanket for the valve cover, IP and oil pan.
I usually set the cruise and go. My body does not like to push on the accelerator pedal from fill up to fill up.
Does your unit have the Holley electric pump in front of the tank like the gassers? Don't thing diesel would have the vapor locking problem that gas systems have. I'm concerned that the lift pump wouldn't be able to pull all the way from the tank.
Maybe I'll remember to get another oil (fuel) pressure gauge to replace that GlowShift. The reason I have for the to fuel pressure gauges is to make sure I have pressure to the lift pump and pressure to the injector pump.
Was going to work on it today, but got to go to the other side of Oklahoma City today and get some brace work done. Every time I go to the city, I'm gone all day.
In order to read the true exhaust temp the thermocouple needs to be in the manifold before the turbo. There is a line of thought that the thermocouple should be after the turbo because if before the turbo and the brass tip in the exhaust stream should fail and break off it could damage
the turbo. It is possible but as stated the turbo does remove energy and heat so the temp after the turbo is not as useful as the temp entering the turbo.

A blanket on the turbo is more for heat control then noise. If you are concerned about noise insulate your engine compartment and dog house cover rather then the engine itself.

My coach does not have an electric fuel pump near the tank. I don't know if the 454 requires a higher fuel volume or pressure then the diesel or possibly the rubber diaphragm pump on the 454 cannot lift as well as the pump on the Isuzu. Another item is the Turbine Series Racor primary filters on our diesels are recommended to be installed in a vacuum rather then a pressure. A call to Cummins technical support might provide the best information. I wonder if the long school busses with the engine at one end and the tank at the other require an extra pump? My old Greyhound bus with tank up front and rear engine only had the engine mounted pump.

I fully agree with the use of cruise control however when you hit a grade and the coach slows down and starts to downshift that is when you need to keep an eye on EGT and boost. You are mounting your Cummins to a GM trans and being a non factory installation you do not have the benefit of many hours of factory engineering. Our Isuzu's coupled to the GM trans puts us in the same situation. Good luck.
__________________
Cheers, Dan
________________________________________


"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them."
~ Margaret Thatcher ~
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #248
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 715
Most big trucks have manual transmissions. You have to e aware and operate at an rpm an power (skinny pedal) range to keep the EGT in an acceptable range. You can burn up an engine in a second by lugging it. RPM are your friend. Speed becomes secondary to running in the sweet spot.

These 12 valve Cummins motorhomes with Allison offer no protection against over temping other than detuning them to an anemic 180 hp. They are capable of much more but something has to monitor the EGT. Since there isn't a computer controlling the engine, the driver has to be ware. The fuel controller can be deidiot proofed by cranking the star wheel and fuel schedule with the fuel plate to limit power and EGT. If you want to play with more power, you have to pay attention to EGT, rpms, boost, engine temp... Especially if you want climb all the passes in the Rockies.
__________________
Kota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #249
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
If you want to play with more power, you have to pay attention to EGT, rpms, boost, engine temp... Especially if you want climb all the passes in the Rockies.
I'm going into surgery to get more eyes. One for the EGT and boost gauge at the end of the dash; one for coolant and oil pressure in the upper centre; one for rpm and speed; one in the back of me head to see that eighteen wheeler storming along at 80+ coming fast towards the merge; one on the GPS trying to tell me I'm crossing someones corn field; one on the wife trying to read a map upside down; did I forget anything......oh yeah I guess a couple on the road ahead would be good.

A spider; I need to be a spider.
Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #250
Rivet Master
 
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota View Post
Most big trucks have manual transmissions. You have to e aware and operate at an rpm an power (skinny pedal) range to keep the EGT in an acceptable range. You can burn up an engine in a second by lugging it. RPM are your friend. Speed becomes secondary to running in the sweet spot.

These 12 valve Cummins motorhomes with Allison offer no protection against over temping other than detuning them to an anemic 180 hp. They are capable of much more but something has to monitor the EGT. Since there isn't a computer controlling the engine, the driver has to be ware. The fuel controller can be deidiot proofed by cranking the star wheel and fuel schedule with the fuel plate to limit power and EGT. If you want to play with more power, you have to pay attention to EGT, rpms, boost, engine temp... Especially if you want climb all the passes in the Rockies.
. My 07 dodge with 6 speed auto and 6.7 Cummings normally is at 1600 rpm, when going up a long grade ,if you hold your foot still it will pull down to 1000 rpm..now has 100,000 miles.. Same as my big truck with a 500 hp cat , pull down to 1200 rpm for short while near the crest of hill, has 1.4 million miles, head never been off..just saying
__________________
tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:54 PM   #251
Rivet Master

 
Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
boulder , Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 715
454 to Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
. My 07 dodge with 6 speed auto and 6.7 Cummings normally is at 1600 rpm, when going up a long grade ,if you hold your foot still it will pull down to 1000 rpm..now has 100,000 miles.. Same as my big truck with a 500 hp cat , pull down to 1200 rpm for short while near the crest of hill, has 1.4 million miles, head never been off..just saying

My 08 dodge with a 6 speed auto 6.7 Cummins does the same but it has an ECM (same as yours) controlling the engine. Just saying... 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1459122675.303512.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  109.7 KB

My 360 runs at over 16000 lbs. About like my Ram pulling a heavy load.

Many of these motorhomes of this generation have burnt up their engines from poor technique. That's my opinion and I won't offer any more bad advise.
__________________
Kota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #252
Rivet Master
 
mayco's Avatar

 
1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,009
I for one would be interested in more of your "bad advice" Kota in regards to technique in driving these old diesels. Im new to diesels, as most of you already know, and have logged between 5k and 6k on my Isuzu. I realize you fellas are speaking of the Cummins but surely there are techniques in driving these diesels that are common. Ive been through some areas where we have encountered some pretty steep and long grades. I pay close attention to my EGT and my RPMs when climbing, also the sound of the motor is a pretty good indicator of whats going on. Its my understanding that there is a direct correlation between the EGT and the RPMs and thats obvious when watching my gauges. EGT climbs as the RPMs drop and the engine starts to lug. Giving it more fuel (or even steady pressure on the pedal) is not the answer to maintaining momentum in my 310, I downshift on my Allison once I reach the RPM range where I think its safe to do so on the tranny. Im guessing in or about the 2000RPM range. Maybe a bit lower. Once I see the EGT approach 1200 degrees on a climb, and I see the RPMs dropping, Ill take my foot off the pedal and let the RPMs decrease until I thnk its safe to downshift.

Am I on the right track here for the health of the Isuzu and fuel consumption?

Mike
__________________

__________________
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
late 454 vs early 454 & 400 vs 4L80E gbell Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 11 10-02-2014 06:14 PM
To Cummins or Not to Cummins?? Help!! On the brink! big_john Tow Vehicles 33 03-23-2010 09:20 PM
First impressions of my new Dodge/Cummins tow vehicle idahosafari Tow Vehicles 14 04-17-2004 09:31 AM
Will 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 with Cummins 5.9L tow A/S well? idahosafari Tow Vehicles 23 03-11-2004 03:34 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.