Old 08-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Question Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrdawg
P.S. I apologize for getting "as my wife would say snippish", I know you guys are trying to help and inform and I do appreciate the feedback. I need to do my homework on mechanics......
John,

I too apologize . I feel for your frustration man! Finding a trustable mechanic is almost as hard as finding a trustable lawyer (this is a joke, I don't want any lawyer flames, I was trying to make John chuckle a little). Good luck!

My Best,
Henry

Old 08-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Patience

This is fascinating. I have had similar experiences on many projects.

Please keep at it and let us know, there are a lot of people pulling for you.

I have modified my philosophy to cope with our shift to a post industrial society.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #45
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
wtrdawg,
My gut tells me they don't know what to do...that's why it's still in the service dept. I think you should consider a fuel pressure gauge inline to the carb. Then run it down the road with the doghouse off. Have a buddy (a really good buddy with earplugs on) watch the gauge as it stalls. You can do the same test with a timing light on number one and a voltmeter into the dist. I chased some ugly gremlins out of my ignition/fuel systems and resorted to some baseline tests like this to find the little buggers.

I ended up rebuilding the carb, replacing the distributor, adding new wires, plugs, mechanical pump, electric pump, filters....all kinds of stuff and still not getting a reliable runner. The good news is that once you find it...you will have quite a runner.

BTW - the P30 manual states that the 454 should be run at 195. Mine runs around 180 - 200 and hits 210 - 218 on a long climb. Fan comes on around 215. Not sure about the 502 but they like to run hot in a MoHo. I added headers and while it lowered the doghouse temps it really did not lower the operating temps at all. But it did give me more power and better performance. Consider adding the H pipe as well.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #46
1 Rivet Member

All is good with 502 sorry so late

Well to bring this to a close ( for now ) we finally found the problem and it only required a heat shield on the fuel pump. Once the genius at the shop figured it out a 2.00 piece of galv. metal and a couple of screws fixed it. Now it runs like a dream and the power difference is quite noticeable. I really like the fact that at 60 mph I give it some more juice and like that I am at 70+ with what feels like alot more to go. I am glad I did this, just wish we did not have all the headache to get here. I appreciate all the support and conversation. Like I said I would not hesitate to recommend this upgrade to anyone, just do your homework and make sure the shop and or mechanic knows what they are doing. Have a good year. John

P. S. sorry took so long to wrap up but I guess I'm following the mechanics example.......
Old 10-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Boy, you must be pleased. After all the time, $, and aggravation, it is soo nice that it turned out as you had hoped. Based on what I have read hear, you may want to recheck to make sure that your plug wires, starter , and all other at risk components have good heat shielding..

Any chance you can drop by the Oregon Coast Mini-Rally http://www.airforums.com/forum...61345#poststop to allow the rest of us under powered 454 owners to drool?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #48
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Then there is always the big boy 572cid

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:04 PM   #49
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrdawg
Well to bring this to a close ( for now ) we finally found the problem and it only required a heat shield on the fuel pump. Once the genius at the shop figured it out a 2.00 piece of galv. metal and a couple of screws fixed it. Now it runs like a dream and the power difference is quite noticeable.
P. S. sorry took so long to wrap up but I guess I'm following the mechanics example.......
In the future, if you are "out in the boonies" with a vapor lock problem, grab some wooden clothespins and aluminum foil out of the galley drawer, and put a layer of aluminum foil on the fuel lines, held on with the wooden clothespins. I had a medium-duty truck in my shop that would vapor lock on every hill. I did the above and it only vapor locked every second or third hill, and then only in the middle of summer. It was a big improvement, this back in the "good old days" when a lot of stuff wouldn't go far without failing.