Old 02-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I was less than happy with the smaller throttle body ports, but I dont think I am loosing power over it. AFI claims that the higher pressure injectors compensate for the loss of port size. I gave up arguing with them. They have been helpful with solving problems with the installation, I dont regret using their product.
The 94 2" TB that I'm installing runs the same 28-30 psi. I think the change to the higher pressure occurred in 93 or 95. The 46mm bore only affects the amount of air. If it can flow 600 CFM which is what the Edelbrock 1406 flows and is the carburetor that I was going to be using then you should be ok.

Quote:
With the knowledge I acquired installing the kit I could probably install the full system without a kit now. When I started, I was clueless and without the kit, I would not have attempted it.
I originally wanted to go the kit route as I knew I didn't know enough to get it right the first time by myself. Now that I've got assistance from someone that does it as a side business I'm a lot more comfortable in what I'm doing.

It should be an interesting experience!

Quote:
On the fuel pump and baffles, my 60 gallon tank has 2 baffles one high & one low and they are basically useless for side to side sloshing. The in tank pump assembly I bought has a small sump well to help reduce low fuel levels sloshing and causing the pump to suck air.

When I had the external fuel pump and a top side dip tube, I went through hell trying to figure out why I was loosing power. I tried various pump and filter combinations and nothing worked.

I finally found my fuel gauge was way off (reading over 1/4 tank when I was empty) so I was sucking air on corners and acceleration. Once air was in the external pump, it had a hard time recovering. I hope the surge tank works out for you.
Wayne
I think you finally pushed me over the edge on the in tank fuel pump. I'd been trying to avoid it as I have two tanks which means two pumps but after looking at the installation instructions for the Tanks Inc pump I think I'm just going to go the in tank route and be done with it. I'll install it in the primary tank first and figure out what to do about the rear tank later. I've got a complete new in tank sending unit/pump combo from a Chevy S10 that I bought to see if I could adapt it to fit my primary tank. It won't fit in my primary tank but will fit in my deeper rear tank. The only issue is I would have to figure out how to fasten it to the tank so it doesn't leak. The Tanks Inc instructions have given me a good idea about how I can go about making it fit.

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:03 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I think you finally pushed me over the edge on the in tank fuel pump. I'd been trying to avoid it as I have two tanks which means two pumps but after looking at the installation instructions for the Tanks Inc pump I think I'm just going to go the in tank route and be done with it. I'll install it in the primary tank first and figure out what to do about the rear tank later. I've got a complete new in tank sending unit/pump combo from a Chevy S10 that I bought to see if I could adapt it to fit my primary tank. It won't fit in my primary tank but will fit in my deeper rear tank. The only issue is I would have to figure out how to fasten it to the tank so it doesn't leak. The Tanks Inc instructions have given me a good idea about how I can go about making it fit.
Back in my ambitious days, I had a 67 Chevy El Camino that I used to go cross country while in the Air Force.
I think it had and 18 gallon fuel tank. I was one who liked to drive as long as possible without stopping so I threw a second tank in the bed and I had a electric fuel pump with a switch on the dash to transfer fuel from the second tank to the main tank.
I did not even hook up the gauge on the second tank, I would just turn on the pump and watch the fuel level in the main tank.
It was crude, but effective.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Back in my ambitious days, I had a 67 Chevy El Camino that I used to go cross country while in the Air Force.
I think it had and 18 gallon fuel tank. I was one who liked to drive as long as possible without stopping so I threw a second tank in the bed and I had a electric fuel pump with a switch on the dash to transfer fuel from the second tank to the main tank.
I did not even hook up the gauge on the second tank, I would just turn on the pump and watch the fuel level in the main tank.
It was crude, but effective.
I'm like you I like to drive until I HAVE to stop. I used to have a 81 chevy dually that had twin tanks, unfortunately the fillers were on opposite sides of the truck. It was really annoying to have to move the truck after filling one tank just so I could fill the other tank. I seriously considered adding a transfer pump to that truck but didn't because the transmission blew up which negated the need for the pump

I've actually been considering adding a transfer pump to the Argosy just so I didn't have to deal with the 2nd pump scenario. I'm keeping my options open on the second tank as I'm not sure just what to do yet.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote