Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Well it was fun while it lasted

I just got back from the shop where I checked out the rear of the block looking for the oil pressure port. I checked both the Argosy block which is actually from an 1981 Chevy pickup and the 1986 345 block. Nothing, nada, zip

Not sure why but Chevy seems to have discontinued providing that oil port.

I guess it's back to trying to remove that stripped plug.

Brad
If you check the shape of the back of the block where that oil port is in the photo, you can see that it isn't the same shape as a big block Chevy, it's a small block (sort of "S" curved back there).

The post that refers to it in the Chevy truck forum identifies it as a small block: The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network - View Single Post - Oil pressure

I remember the oil pressure line coming off by the distributor on the 265 in my 1956 Chevy 2-door (my first car). Honestly, though, I don't remember where the sender was on my 1973 GMC with a 454. I spent more time under the hood of the '56. My guess is that the difference is a big block vs small block thing.

I think your plan to get a tank of O2 and then heating the plug with your smallest torch is the way to go. It will be more precise than trying to heat it up with a propane torch.

One thing we used to do in the shop where I worked was to heat the offending plug or fastener and then spray it with WD40 to quick cool it. The WD would also be sucked in during the cooling. Sometimes a few repeats would be necessary, but it worked most of the time.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Interesting...

For reference, here is a great pic of the valley of my 87 suburban 454... no oil port either...
Note that aside from the bent pushrods, the cam is open to oil dropthru..

And here is a pic of the rear of the 360ci Mopar motor in the Dodge Van...
Circled is the stock oil pressure sender position which was leaking badly from the body...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Brad,
Sorry to have lead you astray! I've never worked on a big block Chevy and I didn't read the thread that I linked to closely enough! I believe that the small torch will work fine. You probably won't have to heat the plug much to remove the plug. Take a look at this Locktite video.

Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
If you check the shape of the back of the block where that oil port is in the photo, you can see that it isn't the same shape as a big block Chevy, it's a small block (sort of "S" curved back there).

The post that refers to it in the Chevy truck forum identifies it as a small block: The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network - View Single Post - Oil pressure

I remember the oil pressure line coming off by the distributor on the 265 in my 1956 Chevy 2-door (my first car). Honestly, though, I don't remember where the sender was on my 1973 GMC with a 454. I spent more time under the hood of the '56. My guess is that the difference is a big block vs small block thing.
I guess I just missed the small block comment in the article. This is the first time I've worked on a chevy v8 so it's all new to me.

Quote:
I think your plan to get a tank of O2 and then heating the plug with your smallest torch is the way to go. It will be more precise than trying to heat it up with a propane torch.

One thing we used to do in the shop where I worked was to heat the offending plug or fastener and then spray it with WD40 to quick cool it. The WD would also be sucked in during the cooling. Sometimes a few repeats would be necessary, but it worked most of the time.
I've heard of using WD40 for fast cooling. I'll keep that in mind if it doesn't come out after heating the first time.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I guess I just missed the small block comment in the article. This is the first time I've worked on a chevy v8 so it's all new to me.

I've heard of using WD40 for fast cooling. I'll keep that in mind if it doesn't come out after heating the first time.

Brad
I remembered that this was your first Chevy V8. Both the small and big block are excellent engines and have robust oil systems.

The gin pole truck in the shop where I worked had a 350 small block throw a rod completely off the crank leaving the oil passage for that rod open and uncovered. It still had 45 psi at idle. Didn't sound very good and had a hole in the side of the block, but still had great oil pressure.

Before anyone interprets the failure as an engine problem, which it usually is, I insisted that we install a tach for the next engine. With the gearing in the truck, it was turning 5500rpm at 70mph. The operators were regularly driving it 95mph for long distances and often well above that. (Texas Panhandle)
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quick update on the oil galley plug problem. After much consideration and thinking about it I decided to try and drill through the plug and bore it to 7/16" which is the correct diameter for 1/4" NPT pipe threads.

I thought I had a 1/4" NPT pipe tap but I couldn't find it so tomorrow I'll pick one up at the local Fastenal store and hopefully finish the job tomorrow night.

I guess the potential of applying to much heat on the corner of the block via a welder or torch just didn't sit right with me. Using heat I would also probably have needed to replace the oil pan gasket.

I'll know soon enough whether I made the right decision

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-454-ready-for-tapping.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	174401

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Keep us posted. We wish you the best on this, Brad!

Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Success!

Got the tap at lunch today and started working on it as soon as I got home. Using a small pin punch I was able to collapse the leading edge of the drilled out plug which gave me just enough lead in for the tap to bite on and start following the original threads.

After the tap was in about four turns it started to force the remains back into the oil galley. I was able to reach in from the end hole with needle nose pliers and pull the piece out. After that it the tap went in smoothly. As near as I can tell there is no damage to the original threads. Using a small powerful pencil magnet, vacuum cleaner, compressed air (from the other end of the galley) and cotton swabs it appears I got all of the metal chips and debris out of the galley.

Needless to say I'm relieved that this ordeal is finally over

Thanks for all the tips, advice and support!

Brad

Click image for larger version

Name:	75-argosy-454-hole-debris.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	174471Click image for larger version

Name:	75-argosy-454-tapping.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	174469Click image for larger version

Name:	75-argosy-454-tapped-hole.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	174470
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You're scaring me! What have you done to ensure no filings from the drilling and tapping are in the galley? This is like mainlining dirty heroin in my aorta. I am worried a big piece of metal is now directly inside your crank, making its way to a main or rod bearing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Success!

I was able to reach in from the end hole with needle nose pliers and pull the piece out. After that it the tap went in smoothly. As near as I can tell there is no damage to the original threads. Using a small powerful pencil magnet, vacuum cleaner, compressed air (from the other end of the galley) and cotton swabs it appears I got all of the metal chips and debris out of the galley.

Needless to say I'm relieved that this ordeal is finally over

Brad
Attachment 174471Attachment 174469Attachment 174470
Brad,
This is wonderful news! I'm going to be optimistic and trust that your efforts with the needle nose pliers, magnet, vacuum cleaner and compressed air plus cotton swabs did the trick! I believe that now is the time to press ahead and not look back. Move on physically and psychologically to the tasks that lay ahead!

All my best,

Steve
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
You're scaring me! What have you done to ensure no filings from the drilling and tapping are in the galley? This is like mainlining dirty heroin in my aorta. I am worried a big piece of metal is now directly inside your crank, making its way to a main or rod bearing.
I'm not overly concerned about it. Visually I can see down the length of the main oil galley and there is nothing there and the only other galley in the area is in line with the removed plug and runs up hill.

Plus I plan to use my new bore scope (thanks Dan!) to take a peak farther down each galley.

No worries

Brad
Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Excellent, my heart is troubled no more.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote