Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
454 fuel pump

Has anyone ever changed out their fuel pump on the 454? Is it a fairly simple task? I'm pretty good with a set of wrenches, but don't know if this is over my head or not.
If I do tackle this, any suggestions? Gaskets, the blue stuff?
Thanks, Derek

Old 12-08-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I never did my 454, but did a Jeep 360 once. All I remember is that I needed to put some heavy grease on the rod that rides on the cam to operate the pump so it will stay in place as you put the new pump on. It acts as kind of a temporary glue and disolves in the oil when the engine is started. I think that is a fairly common problem, and a common way to solve it.

Otherwise I am not a lot of help. When I sold my 310 with the 454, it had the original fuel pump on at 87,000 miles or so.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 AM   #3
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
I just changed mine out this year. I assume you are talking about the attached fuel pump on the engine block.

I jacked up and took off the right front tire to gain access. It is not bad. The only thing is to make sure you get the operating lever on the pump to sit properly on the plunger on the block before putting the bolts on - that plus managing the gasket.

But all in all, it is a fairly simple job.
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Long time since I've done a chevy fuel pump not sure if this applies on the 454 but here is a small block tip.

The next problem that has to be solved is the problem that the push rod will fall down, by gravity so you cannot get the fuel pump lever under the end of the push rod. Each time you try to install the new pump; the push rod will drop down, right in the way of the pump lever.
This is easy to solve. The small block Chevrolet V8 has a provision to help with the installation of a fuel pump. There is a threaded hole in the front of the engine, right in alignment with the cavity of the push rod. It is located on the front face, at the same level as the fuel pump, between the pump mount and the timing cover. You will usually find a bolt in this opening on the front of the engine, which is acting as a simple plug to fill the hole during normal operation. This hole is threaded, as I have mentioned, for a standard 3/8 X 16 USS size bolt. It will have a 9/16 wrench size. Remove that bolt. Find a longer bolt with the same size diameter and thread gauge. It should be about 2 long. Thread that bolt into the opening, and it will bump against the push rod inside the engine. By hand, not with a wrench, tighten that bolt just tight enough to hold the push rod up, out of the way, so you can install your new fuel pump without interference from the push rod trying to drop down.

Once that has been done, the fuel pump can be installed more easily. The new pump will be easy to hold in place because the tension of the spring is minimal due to the cam shaft being on the heel of the lobe. Also, it will be easy to place the pump in position because the push rod is held up, out of the way by the 3/8 bolt.

After installation, be sure to remove the long bolt that you used to hold the push rod, and re-install the shorter bolt that was originally installed in the opening.

Google the phrase , Holding Chevy fuel pump rod and You should get many more ideas.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch. Pulled By 2010 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Megacab
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi,
Thanks for all of the advice. At least I know that if the fuel pump acts up again, I can at least attempt the replacement, especially if I'm sitting on the side of the road somewhere.
For now, I think I'm gonna pay my neighbor mechanic to do it for me. If he doesn't hurry, I'm going to try it myself. Now that I'm a bit more comfortable behind the wheel (AND getting it parked back into my alley driveway) I'm ready to get the beast on the road this Sunday.
Thanks, Derek
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You may want to consider installing an electric pump in the fuel line and doing away with the mechanical one. Just get a cover plate for the old pump at any hot rod shop. I used a Carter 4 lb. pump on my GM diesel, same basic system as the 454, instead of replacing the mechanical one. Cost about the same at the time.

The fuel pump is the lowest point in the fuel circuit and collects all the water in the bottom chamber of the pump. If you remove yours remove the bottom and observe the rust.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hi,
With the 345, because the fuel tank is SOOOOOO far away, there is already an electric fuel pump at the tank. What are your thoughts, have an electric fuel pump at tank, and another closer to engine?
Thanks, Derek
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Should be no problem. The second pump would just function as a lift pump to the top of the engine

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ok, picked up the mechanical fuel pump today at AutoZone. When I go Full-time, I'll go strictly to electric fuel pump. Will probably go ahead and start searching for the plate that will cover hole on engine block, just so I have it to add to my extra parts bin.
Thanks, Derek
Old 12-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
woo-hoo! Mechanical engine block fuel pump replaced. Everything works fine, engine fires right up, NO MORE gasoline odor when around rig. Will get the beast out on the road on my day off this Thursday, camping on Christmas weekend, and fuel prices are dropping around here. Love to have a full tank so I can 'piddle' with the generator.
Thanks for all of the tips, Derek
Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Good to hear that it worked out well. How hard was the install? Anything worth noting?

"Piddle with the generator"... Sounds like what I'm doing right now. Just dropped the genset out and rebuilt the carb, new brushes, new plugs and condenser. Hope to have her running and back in by end of week. Keeping my fingers crossed. My 92 LY Motorhome sat up from 2003 to present under the previous owner. Now its my turn to bring her back to life. It's a labor of love though.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Good to hear that it worked out well. How hard was the install? Anything worth noting?

"Piddle with the generator"... Sounds like what I'm doing right now. Just dropped the genset out and rebuilt the carb, new brushes, new plugs and condenser. Hope to have her running and back in by end of week. Keeping my fingers crossed. My 92 LY Motorhome sat up from 2003 to present under the previous owner. Now its my turn to bring her back to life. It's a labor of love though.

Yes, saw your post, and what an awesome deal!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post

Basically mechanic who did the install told me that the rod from crankshaft dropped (as warned previously by other posts) and he had a tough time getting it all lined up.
Charged 3 hours labor, $100 total, neighborhood mechanic's are the best! No more gasoline odor at all. Drove to buddy's home for all of today's work. My driveway isn't 'conducive' to all of the work that needed to be done, maybe my next project, a paved driveway!
Don't know when I'll get to 'piddle with genset', we'll see if I can do some checking of it over my camping trip next weekend, which may not happen at all with gray water tank having a leak! I'll figure it out somehow on Sunday, my next day off from work.
I love being the owner of a 23 year old Airstream Classic motorhome. NEVER a dull moment, lol.
Thanks, Derek