Old 10-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
I think the first thing I'd do on a motorhome engine would be to add an MSD box. I put one on an Olds 455 and it made a big difference at low rpms...
Well I do have a couple of Mallory 6AL MSD boxes sitting on the shelf left over from the last race car rebuild...

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Well I do have a couple of Mallory 6AL MSD boxes sitting on the shelf left over from the last race car rebuild...
That's exactly what you want, IMHO!!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
That's exactly what you want, IMHO!!
I don't know if you saw this thread Streamline Airstream but the guy that owns it has this arrangement in the engine compartment of his Argosy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CA-modified-argosy-msd.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	169422Click image for larger version

Name:	CA-modified-argosy-msd-1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	169423

I believe the smaller module in the foreground is the MSD module with knock sensor & retard control. If I remember right I have one of those sitting on the shelf as well.

As I was looking over his rig I noticed that he had redundancy all over the place. There are two MSD boxes with one being a hot standby to where all he has to do is flip a switch and he's running on the other box. He doesn't like the idea of being stranded anywhere. Can't say as I blame him

He gave me copies of his wiring diagrams and I was amazed at the amount and type of hardware he has added.

Brad
Old 06-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Yesterday was very productive, fitted new:

Fuel filter;
MAP sensor;
Oil change;
Knock sensor change;
Distributor;
Coil pack;
PCV valve:
Rotor.

When fitting these, it revealed this rusty distributor. I am hoping this is the cause of my occaisional loss of power and knock sensor playing up. It certainly felt different after a good clean up and use of some electrical contact cleaner, but maybe that was wishful thinking. Anyhow, I think I will replace this part. I saw Brad's post, has anyone ever used one of these distributors?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-CHEV...-/371427366583

They seem incredibly cheap, but I can't see any negative press.

Any thoughts on the extent to which that rust will interfere and cause performance issues? I think it may have been causing some engine knock. The knock sensor then retards the timing etc.

allbest
Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2929.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	265230   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2931.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	265231  

Old 06-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Yesterday was very productive, fitted new:

Fuel filter;
MAP sensor;
Oil change;
Knock sensor change;
Distributor;
Coil pack;
PCV valve:
Rotor.

When fitting these, it revealed this rusty distributor. I am hoping this is the cause of my occaisional loss of power and knock sensor playing up. It certainly felt different after a good clean up and use of some electrical contact cleaner, but maybe that was wishful thinking.
Wow! That's really rusty! I can't say that I've ever seen a distributor that rusty before. Other than the rust causing bad connections I don't see any other way the rust could cause poor running conditions.

Quote:
Anyhow, I think I will replace this part. I saw Brad's post, has anyone ever used one of these distributors?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SBC-BBC-CHEV...-/371427366583

They seem incredibly cheap, but I can't see any negative press.
I believe that is the wrong distributor for your engine. Your distributor should not have vacuum advance. This is the distributor that I bought. Yes they are cheap but there's not much that can go wrong with a distributor and the Chevy small block and big block V8s were produced in the millions and are probably still being made today in some form or fashion. Parts for these engines are relatively cheap.

With that being said, I did have to replace the Ignition Control Module in the brand new distributor due to it causing spikes on the tachometer signal to the PCM. I replaced the ICM with a new quality replacement and the spikes are gone.

Quote:
Any thoughts on the extent to which that rust will interfere and cause performance issues? I think it may have been causing some engine knock. The knock sensor then retards the timing etc.

allbest
Nick
Next time as you replace components try replacing one at time and doing a test drive. That way you'll know which part made the most difference.

Brad
Old 06-26-2016, 10:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Sorry Brad - I posted the wrong link. They also produce one for the TBI 1991 454, similar price, so I guess similar quality.

I did test drive after each fix. The rusty distributor was the last piece of the jigsaw. I couldn't undo two of the bolts, so couldn't replace the pickup underneath, but it seems smoother, I need to do a hundred miles to be certain. I'll order a new one and swap it out. I'm pretty happy to replace many of these items and keep the old as spares. In most cases, they've given 25 years service, so could probably use a rest. Interesting, that rust problem does seem a common fault. The rest of the engine bay is pretty much rust free so there is obviously a fault in the design of the cap; mine came without any kind of gasket. I suspect a little moisture gets trapped in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-26-2016, 10:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
I've got a replacement ignition control module, so will replace that, but I always thought they kinda worked or didn't. I wasn't aware they could cause intermittent faults.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 06-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Sorry Brad - I posted the wrong link. They also produce one for the TBI 1991 454, similar price, so I guess similar quality.

I did test drive after each fix. The rusty distributor was the last piece of the jigsaw. I couldn't undo two of the bolts, so couldn't replace the pickup underneath, but it seems smoother, I need to do a hundred miles to be certain. I'll order a new one and swap it out. I'm pretty happy to replace many of these items and keep the old as spares. In most cases, they've given 25 years service, so could probably use a rest. Interesting, that rust problem does seem a common fault. The rest of the engine bay is pretty much rust free so there is obviously a fault in the design of the cap; mine came without any kind of gasket. I suspect a little moisture gets trapped in there.
I generally keep the old working parts as spares as well. The distributor I bought didn't have a gasket either. If you figure out how to create a gasket for it post the info!
Old 06-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I've got a replacement ignition control module, so will replace that, but I always thought they kinda worked or didn't. I wasn't aware they could cause intermittent faults.
Kinda surprised me as well. If you go to post #638 of my restoration thread you'll see the data log graphs showing the spikes that were being generated by the ICM. Interesting way for it to fail. Rather annoying as well!