Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Mel- Sure hope this problem is finally fixed now. I have seen where a problem in one circuit can "bleed" and affect a seperate circuit, especially where computer circuits are involved.

I'm curious about towing from the front like that. Not anticipating our 345 needing a tow but I've always been told towing from front on rear wheel drive vehicle can damage automatic transmission. Are there exceptions? What was the distance yours had to be towed? Did they drop the driveshaft?
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 AM   #42
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
the drive shift was dropped. not sure the 545 Allison trany don't have a rear pump, better to be safe than sorry.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:18 AM   #43
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by choctawmel View Post
the drive shift was dropped. not sure the 545 Allison trany don't have a rear pump, better to be safe than sorry.
mel
The drive shaft needs to be removed, and the motor home should be towed from the front. Towing from the rear is not a good idea.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:40 AM   #44
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
Check the Allison manual and the drive shaft does need to be remove to tow. Picking it up on the front did bend the tag axle leveler arms a little making her low on the rear now. Hope the extra weight on the tag didn't damage it. I just had it rebuilt.
Towing from the rear would put over half of the 16,300 (scale weight) pounds on the front axle and tires. That would cause major failure from extreme over load. Don't think the rear bumper/frame would handle the shock either.
Now that I got her all tucked away in her barn stall, it's time to fix the: LP valve on the frig, LP valve on the heat water tank, the toilet (does anyone make a 10 inch high toilet?), the screen door, the axle levelers, the tag brake control, finish the TV cabinet, wire a 50A plug .......ect.
Thanks for all the support with my 'engine cutting out'. Hope the problem was found. Need to check/replace all the electric/water lines too.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote