Old 06-07-2009, 03:26 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
I do take your point here, That is why I am agonising on the subject for some time now.

I have worked it out that the payback would be in the region of eighteen to 24 months. But there is also the relaxed attitude of the engine, wear and tear and all that.

Most of our journey's start on 'A' roads where speeds are around the 45 - 55 mph mark but after an hour in any direction from us it is Motorway where you sit at 60-65 for a few hours.. Granted we don't have the distances you have there, but we do go off every two to three weeks for long weekends.

With all that in mined it is viable - but only just! provided I can get a rebuilt unit as that chap in CA on eBay sells, or I hope for one coming up here on a broken chassis or the like.

Thanks for your interest though, it is all appreciated.

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
An R4700 doesn't need a computer to operate.
I don't know about the 200. I put one in a P/U once and it ran fine.
I even made the lockup torque converter work but putting twelve volts on the drivers side front terminal of the controller.

The lock up torque converter seems to me the main selling point on the four speed transmission swap.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1990 36' Land Yacht
Bradenton , Florida
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatango View Post
An R4700 doesn't need a computer to operate.
I don't know about the 200. I put one in a P/U once and it ran fine.
I even made the lockup torque converter work but putting twelve volts on the drivers side front terminal of the controller.

The lock up torque converter seems to me the main selling point on the four speed transmission swap.
I don't believe the R4-700 would be robust enough for most RV's, without significant updating/modifications. At least that is what we have found when using in lighter/higher performance vehicles. That is why when AS changed from the 3 speed turbo 400 transmission, they first went to the 4L80E and then also to the Allison transmission (both units significantly stouter than either the R4-700 (mechanical control - or its electronically controlled brother, the 4L-60E) Just a thought, don't ya know!!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
We are at the start gate!

A GV unit arrived from CA in October but due to an accident (got crushed between 310 and the toad!) I have only just started the conversion.

It all went up in the air at the weekend - the coach that is! - ready to start. I have got as far as removing the drive shaft and park brake, next stop is the rear tail housing, and that looks like a gasket is needed here. I will probably use silicone (out of a tube) gasket.

One thing that has puzzled both myself and several colleagues, two in the Heavy Motor trade, is the concern on the drive line angles. Looking at the existing setup, the angles are more or less none existent apart from the last prop to the diff back axle. Granted there will be a marginal increase, and I do mean very marginal, in the angle at the rear of the GV/Park brake.
If there was a need to trim the drive line angle it is virtually impossible other than grinding down the rear/gearbox support bearing housing, or attacking the first propshaft support bearing, in order to reduce or "straighten" the line. Or do you shim the engine mountings?

As the job of the UJ's is to compensate for variations in the drive line surely they will be doing what they are intended to do, and the angle is not going to be that much different - is it?

Perhaps we Brits are sceptics, but as yet have not seen the need to spend so much worry on this subject - but who knows first trip down the road will tell!

I welcome your expertise and comments.

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Gv

I have never had any trouble with the GV. Loved all the automation. Oh, not that GV, disregard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	276X5230.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	95332  
Old 06-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestranger View Post
I don't believe the R4-700 would be robust enough for most RV's, without significant updating/modifications. At least that is what we have found when using in lighter/higher performance vehicles. That is why when AS changed from the 3 speed turbo 400 transmission, they first went to the 4L80E and then also to the Allison transmission (both units significantly stouter than either the R4-700 (mechanical control - or its electronically controlled brother, the 4L-60E) Just a thought, don't ya know!!
I wasn't taking about an junkyard unit out of a Malibu. That transmission evolved over the years with an improved pump, clutch packs etc. I bet a B&M unit would hold up. I don't see bolting up an overdrive to an existing transmission. The 700 has a 70% OD.

But the main item is locking up the torque converter.