Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
Sure would be nice wouldn't it

I'm going to keep my eyes open for an Isuzu diesel for down the road

Brad
Me too...
Diesels do look interesting.
Maybe by the time I need one can find a used school bus or the like for a donor.
Wonder if way down the road if a whole 'new' chassis would be possable?
Like suspension and everything.
My 454 runs so good right now...don't need to be in any hurry.

1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu
Me too...
Diesels do look interesting.
Maybe by the time I need one can find a used school bus or the like for a donor.
Wonder if way down the road if a whole 'new' chassis would be possable?
Like suspension and everything.
My 454 runs so good right now...don't need to be in any hurry.
It would be nice to find a list of what vehicles did have the Isuzu diesel engine installed. Sure would make searching a whole lot easier.

I was talking with Susan the other day and suggested that it would be a fun project to take a wide bodied 34' excella trailer and mount it backwards on a diesel pusher truck chassis. I'm guessing but it might be possible to use the front section of a classic motorhome, split the top piece down the center and add a strip to make it as wide as the wide body shell is. There are definitely a lot of engineering issues to deal with such as the door being on the wrong side, etc but it sure would be an interesting project

But then again I already have enough projects to keep me busy for the next 3 lifetimes so I won't be attempting this anytime soon

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
It would be nice to find a list of what vehicles did have the Isuzu diesel engine installed. Sure would make searching a whole lot easier.

I was talking with Susan the other day and suggested that it would be a fun project to take a wide bodied 34' excella trailer and mount it backwards on a diesel pusher truck chassis. I'm guessing but it might be possible to use the front section of a classic motorhome, split the top piece down the center and add a strip to make it as wide as the wide body shell is. There are definitely a lot of engineering issues to deal with such as the door being on the wrong side, etc but it sure would be an interesting project

But then again I already have enough projects to keep me busy for the next 3 lifetimes so I won't be attempting this anytime soon

Brad

Brad

As in my case, "so many projects, so little life left" as Donna reminds me every time I see something of interest. I hate it when she reminds me, but she's so right. Of course the "hey, you only have two feet and so many shoes already you'll never get a chance to scuff the soles on another pair" just doesn't have the same impact on her purchasing decisions. Oh well,

Barry
Old 10-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
update: Well, here is an update. I got a country boy shade tree mechanic friend of my brother to come over and look at my carb. He works with my brother at a Transmission shop in Middlesborro KY. He decided that the secondaries were too stiff and didn't seem to kick in quick enough. So he took the vacuum hose that is behind the carb off to test it. It seemed to help them kick in quicker. I didn't want to block up the vacuum and risk messing up the choke mechanism so we decided to just take the rod off of the linkage on the right side of the carb. This seemed to relieve the pressure that was keeping the secondaries from working and allowed us to rehook up the vacuum. I haven't road tested it yet with the rod removed. I just know that when idling I can stomp it down now and the 4 barrel will kick in. I plan on testing it out soon on the road and will replace the rod if there is a problem. I will take a pic when I can this weekend and post it so you-uns can see what I am describing. Now as for the 5 mpg, I was usually running the genset during the summer when I recorded such low mpg's. It has just now cooled off enough to not have to have the generator going when traveling. My wife would smother to death if I didn't provide her with plenty of cool air. I should get better mpg's without the Genset running.

@swebster: I would like to come up to Louisville sometime. I hope to get all the kinks out of Nancy first. I will eventually take you up on that offer when I can arrange it, if it is a standing offer.
jagcb750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:35 AM   #25
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
It's a standing offer. I have a great book on Rochester carbs. I'll find the ISBN for you...I think it's $20 from Amazon.

Headed up to Columbus OH today in the stream. My wife is running the marathon trying to qualify for Boston in April. The 345 is the marathon-mobile.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote